Daily Question.................02/16/09

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning my dear friends…

Today I have the privilege to post here your daily question for the Lounge…
I want to mention that all questions here are just for the unique porpoise of fun and of course, to stay in touch with all members, and to know what do you think about it…
of course sometimes some questions are a kind of silly but funniest in the bottom!..
… so lets begin…

Do you have any Phobia?
And tell us why..
..I mean is psycologic? do you born with that? ara you ask for profesional help? or you never confront at your Internal Demons...
.…..

...So, start to post here!...

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 fear/phobia....

1. Adult feet. (barefeet). I cannot stand to be touched by them, it makes me cringe and want to vomit. I will run if someone is trying to put their bare feet on me.

2. Freestanding Heights: ex. a ladder, a rooftop where there's no railing. I'm fine on a rooftop with a railing, flying in airplanes, looking out high windows... as long as there's some sense of containment.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a serious phobia of wolves when I was young. We never discovered where it came from but from a very early age I had horrible nightmares about them. My parents sent me to therapy when I was 10 because they got me a puppy that was a german shepherd and husky mix and when she grew up she started looking strangely wolf like and I was freaking out in a bad way. I still donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like them but I can handle their mention and seeing pictures/video on TV now.

I am also very terrified of Thunderstorms but it isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t really a phobia because I can still function. This is from one time my brother locked my mother and I out of the house during a major storm when I was 3.

Great question!

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I think of a phobia as an irrational fear of something, so I don't really have one. All of my fears are rational - I'm afraid of whatever it is for a good reason.

Probably the closest thing I have is a fear of heights. Riding on a plane, or even jumping out of one, doesn't bother me, but standing at the edge of a roof or climbing a ladder does. I don't panic or anything, but it is bad enough that I leave all but the most basic of roofing tasks to other people to do.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning CoolCat

Yes, I have several:
1. Fear of Deep Water = I don't swim....why?
Do I confront that fear, well, after 2 near-drownings trying to act machisma, no

2. Fear of heights - for no good reason. I did try to face it by taking up rock climbing which really helped, but incurred a neck injury 11 years ago, and so much for that

2. Fear of BLACK WIDOW spiders - due to near-fatal reaction to a BW bite 5 years ago= YES, I confront them - I am a very enthusiastic Black Widow spider hunter. I spot webs in the daytime, return at night with a flashlight and kill them. I have challenged myself to crush them with gloved hands
I have studied amateurally studied them - they will disguise themselves as a speck of wood to avoid detection, for instance, just crush & find out.
One thing I would like to share - re: Black Widow bites - the time of year & how many times you've been bitten make a big difference in reaction. Opposite of snake bite which helps you get immunity, each sequential bite will cause a worse reaction. But probably the biggest factor in severity of reaction is the time of year. Early spring is the most dangerous because many BWs have mated for life, they are dormant all winter but altho they aren't eating, they are still manufacturing their neurotoxins and when they begin to emerge, they don't need to mate, they just need to set up shop & lay their already-fertilized eggs - they have territorial wars with each other & she with the most potent venom wins
So they are more potent and more aggressive at that particular time of year. ...ALSO, our CATS are even more suseptible to BW venom, plus BWs kill other harmless-to-us, beneficial spiders....so KiLL 'em if you can

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fear of drowning, and along with that comes a lot of weird reactions to water. I don't like to put my face into water (even a shower), deep water scares me, walking over a bridge scares me, being on a boat scares me.

My sister was carrying me around in a swimming pool when I was very young (probably 2), and as she walked into the deeper water, my face became submerged. I recall my mother screaming at her that she was going to drown me. That's the only thing I can attribute my fear to.

I've tried to get over it. I taught myself to swim (side stroke and back stroke of course), I can sort of tread water, I've been on the ocean on boats (but only with a life preserver nearby), gone snorkeling, canoeing down a crocodile laden river in Panama, and the biggie: went white water rafting where we actually took the rubber raft over a waterfall. The only way it has helped is that I know I won't drown immediately if I happen to fall into deep water. And I keep DH close by as he used to be a life guard.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adult feet. (barefeet). I cannot stand to be touched by them, it makes me cringe
OMG! I thought it was just me!
Maybe I'm not "phobic" about feet, but I hate them.

My big phobia is snakes. I can't look at a picture, I can't touch a picture, I can't look at one on tv. If I'm reading a magazine and turn the page to find a pic of one of those creatures I absolutely freeze. Then I very slowly close the magazine and put it down. I don't know why I have this fear--I've never had an incident with a snake, I've just been terrified of them my whole life. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I came across one in my yard.

I'm scared to death of crossing bridges. I find myself holding my breath when crossing one because I just know the car is going over the side.
That probably relates to my intense fear of death by drowning or suffication.

I'm not too crazy about heights, either.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just acrophobia, and it's not a completely all consuming irrational type fear. Thinking about heights doesn't bother me, but actually being up high in any situation where I can see the ground below will make me shake a bit and give me a vertigo type feeling.
I'm a person that has to deal with being lightheaded all the time, and prone to falling, so if the vertigo feeling comes over that it makes me feel awful and I know I'm very likely to fall. This makes stairs and ladders dangerous.

I have a slight fear/very strong dislikes for deep water or not being able to keep my feet on the bottom while in the water - it's not a phobia. I won't go in water that reaches passed my chest, refuse to learn how to swim (that would require taking my feet off the bottom), and like Momofmany - I do not like getting water on my face at all. I actually used to scream as a young child if my mom or dad was washing my hair and dumped water over my face.

Mine, too, is because of two near drownings.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fear of heights. I don't mind them if there is a railing or some kind of barrier, but without that I'm terrified! DH and I went on a roller coaster last summer and the first hill where they pull up you seemed like 3 miles high. But it was one of the new ones that didn't have the little maintance walk ways on the side so when you looked to the side there was NOTHING but air. I was never so terrified in my life!

Also, a fear of centipedes. I have NO idea why. I can deal with almost any other bug (don't like them, but can deal with them) but when I see a centipede I freeze and scream like a little girl. They're just freaks of nature!

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a little fear of the water. I am okay until I go over my head. I hate swimming if I cannot touch. When I was younger someone mean pushed me under the water over and over and almost made me drown. I also have a fear of bees. I am not allergic to them, I am just afraid of them. When I was younger I had a dream of watching bees attack a little girl and she died in my dream, so I guess that is why I am afraid of them today. I think those are my only two actual fears.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snakes , My brother used to put garter snakes down my dress when I was little. I have tried to be brave, but I get so scared I break out in hives.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm afraid of falling. Not of heights, I could care less about that...it's the falling part, the sensation of falling, that I'm afraid of. That's why I don't like roller coasters and I could never bungee dive or sky dive. It started when I was young, but I somewhat got over it around the time we got married b/c we went to Six Flags on our way back from our honeymoon and we rode all of the roller coasters about 50 times and I LOVED it! Then a few years ago we went to another Six Flags (in Arlington, Tx) and the first ride our friends wanted to go on was the one where you sit in a seat and floor falls out from under you and you free fall down and then where you end up laying on your back at the end. I seriously felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I stood in line for a roller coaster after that, but had a panic attack when we were about to get into it, and I couldn't do it. I sat out the rest of the day.

I also have a fear of confinement. I hate being held down or being unexpectedly pushed under water. I'm perfectly fine with water any other time, I grew up swimming and my parents have a house on a lake where we swim all the time, but I panic and feel like I'm going to drown if I'm pushed under. If I put my own head under water I don't feel that way. I get that same "I'm going to drown" or "I can't breath" feeling if I'm held down in any way. I wouldn't say that I'm claustrophobic b/c I'm fine in small spaces.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Then a few years ago we went to another Six Flags (in Arlington, Tx) and the first ride our friends wanted to go on was the one where you sit in a seat and floor falls out from under you and you free fall down and then where you end up laying on your back at the end. I seriously felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I stood in line for a roller coaster after that, but had a panic attack when we were about to get into it, and I couldn't do it. I sat out the rest of the day.
Don't let anyone pick on you or ever make you feel bad for sitting out the rides - most people don't get it.

Several years ago I let a friend talk me into riding a roller coaster. The first time was fine, so I relented and went on it again. The person who locked the safety bar down did not lock it down far enough. We both slid out, the only thing that kept us from completely sliding out altogether was that we both had a death grip on that bar and braced our legs against front of the roller coaster car. Being thinner than she was, I slid further - the safety bar was over my chest and my back was in the bottom of the seat.
I was afraid of the thing to start with and that did not help - I refuse to ever be swayed again. It's not worth it! Plus now my tachycardia makes me a liability.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Don't let anyone pick on you or ever make you feel bad for sitting out the rides - most people don't get it.

Several years ago I let a friend talk me into riding a roller coaster. The first time was fine, so I relented and went on it again. The person who locked the safety bar down did not lock it down far enough. We both slid out, the only thing that kept us from completely sliding out altogether was that we both had a death grip on that bar and braced our legs against front of the roller coaster car. Being thinner than she was, I slid further - the safety bar was over my chest and my back was in the bottom of the seat.
I was afraid of the thing to start with and that did not help - I refuse to ever be swayed again. It's not worth it! Plus now my tachycardia makes me a liability.
I agree completely! There are some rides that scare the crap out of me. I usually trust the rides at an established park (Hershey park, King's Dominion, Disney World, etc) but you can NOT get me on a ride at the fair anymore. I went on one of those pirate ship rides when I was 12. My friend talked me into getting into the very back seat. Luckily, it wasn't one that completely went over and hung there for a few seconds, or I would be dead. It was one that went to the point where the people in the back were upside down....but the bar that holds you in didn't latch. I was screaming bloody murder because the bar kept coming up about 6 inches which was enough for me to slip out.

I will, and have, stopped rides if I don't feel secure (Hershey park just loves me!). If that bar isn't pressing on my bladder, I'm not secure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...My goodness...!..
thank you for your honesty my friends...

My phobia is relationated about Snakes....
I mean I have a big terror of they!...
....Chris you sure should to hate me right now...
...but I can be near to some snake I feel a big terror!...

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im afraid of being alone in the dark. thats one reason my fiance got me a cat when we moved in together since he works alot. im hoping someday it will just stop being scary

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a fear of being underground, such as in a mine or a cave. When I was in grade school my class took a trip to the Big Nickel Mine in Sudbury Ontario. We had the oppurtunity to go down if we wanted to and I just couldn''t. It even bothers me to see it on TV, and can not watch movies or television show filmed in caves...I manage to sit throw the movie Descent but was more freaked by the cave then the monsters.