Frontline +

jesi79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old does a kitten need to be before we give her anything for fleas? Munchi is about three months now.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your kitty has fleas it also will probably have tapeworm and the safest medication is from your vet. Over-the-counter medications are often not the same strength as what you get from a vet and some OTC medications have actually caused death.

By going to the vet you could be saving money in the long run since the OTC meds may not even work and you'll end up paying for both the OTC and the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesi79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

If your kitty has fleas it also will probably have tapeworm and the safest medication is from your vet. Over-the-counter medications are often not the same strength as what you get from a vet and some OTC medications have actually caused death.

By going to the vet you could be saving money in the long run since the OTC meds may not even work and you'll end up paying for both the OTC and the vet.
Is frontline considered an OTC. Our vet recommended it for our older cat but I forgot to ask about the kitten. How about flea collars and powders? I have also read that powdered brewers yeast sprinkled on the pet and then brushed in helps with fleas.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jesi79

Is frontline considered an OTC. Our vet recommended it for our older cat but I forgot to ask about the kitten. How about flea collars and powders? I have also read that powdered brewers yeast sprinkled on the pet and then brushed in helps with fleas.
I personally would only go with Advantage or Revolution obtained from a vet.

Flea collars - the only good use for a flea collar is to cut it up and put the pieces in your vacuum. Flea collars have caused death in young cats so please do not ever use one on your cat. A flea collar has a lot of poison in it and it's sitting there on your kitty's neck being absorbed into it's little body.

Flea powders - again do not use these. Your cat is going to lick itself and ingest this poison.

If you want to treat your carpeting for fleas/eggs, get some diatomaceous earth (human/food grade only) from your local garden centre or online and sprinkle that on your carpets and work it down into the fibres. DE (human/food grade) is totally safe for animals and humans. In fact if your kitty were to lick some and ingest it, it will do nothing worse than get rid of any internal parasites your kitty may have.

I can't answer your question on brewer's yeast - I have heard pro and con reports on this so don't know which to believe.

I would think if you get treatment for your kitty from a vet that would be your very best solution.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMHO talk to the vet .. I went with frontline after reading the studies about the flea controls found in blood concentrations it was the lowest of the current or prior RX s ... My vet gave me the studies to read when I asked what I should use ...I currently use an OTC that I talked with the vet about

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally would only go with Frontline on a small kitten I'm not sure the age limit on Advantage). My Vet in Japan okayed it for my month old feral rescue who was absolutely infested. It may take 2 or 3 consequtive apps. 1 per month to clear a really badly infested rascal like my Aya, plus a lot of scrupulous washing of bedding and anything coming into contact with the cat to prevent reinfestation.

I think Revolution is only for 12 weeks and up. In my experience it is less benign than frontline. I have one adult cat who is allergic to it. I would only recommend it on older cats where there is a mite or scabies problem or with an in/outdoor bird hunting cat who may get them (it takes care of these things and frontline and advantage don't).

All three are available from your Vet only via prescription in the USA. Do not use OTC products!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

I personally would only go with Frontline on a small kitten I'm not sure the age limit on Advantage). My Vet in Japan okayed it for my month old feral rescue who was absolutely infested. It may take 2 or 3 consequtive apps. 1 per month to clear a really badly infested rascal like my Aya, plus a lot of scrupulous washing of bedding and anything coming into contact with the cat to prevent reinfestation.

I think Revolution is only for 12 weeks and up. In my experience it is less benign than frontline. I have one adult cat who is allergic to it. I would only recommend it on older cats where there is a mite or scabies problem or with an in/outdoor bird hunting cat who may get them (it takes care of these things and frontline and advantage don't).

All three are available from your Vet only via prescription in the USA. Do not use OTC products!
Frontline is currently avail OTC without an RX in the USA .. ... as is DOG only Advantix and a few other previously RX onlys like Advantage ... Many vets still carry in office but others direct you to the local pet store

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Frontline is currently avail OTC without an RX in the USA .. ... as is DOG only Advantix and a few other previously RX onlys like Advantage ... Many vets still carry in office but others direct you to the local pet store
Is this a new development? I've been inJapan for nearly 2 years now so I do not know. I do know when I was there and working for an animal Hosp. we had a lot of cleints trying to buy at online 'pharmacies' and sometimes the product was genuine and other times not.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

Is this a new development? I've been inJapan for nearly 2 years now so I do not know. I do know when I was there and working for an animal Hosp. we had a lot of cleints trying to buy at online 'pharmacies' and sometimes the product was genuine and other times not.
In the last 2 yrs ... Petco and Petsmart as well as smaller pet stores all now sell many previous RX flea and tick formulas ... Many newer ones have taken there place at the vets