Trapping Mommy and Kittens, need age of Kittens

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Got the male cat (daddy) neutered Friday 13, 2009 - he's more stray than feral. He's still in the garage because I'm giving him antibiotics for a wound that he had just received.

A wonderful lady that we met at the Animal Samaritans loaned me two of her traps when she heard that I needed to trap a mommy and two kittens.

At 8:30 p.m., the, approximately 10 week old kitten, was trapped. He is now in the garage with his daddy. We call the kitten Gray, Jr., because he looks like Gray - (daddy).
I just peeked in on them, and daddy was laying down by the trap - maybe he's glad to have company. I'm sorry to report, mommy is now out looking for her missing toddler. The trap she was in (one that was on loan) didn't close, there are a few nasty words I would like to say about that trap, but I'll refrain. Mommy is the very one I need to trap, she's about 4 weeks pregnant. Ugh!

I need to guesstimate the kittens ages to tell the clinic. I first saw them December 15-20th week, and they had blue eyes, and getting around pretty good. Today is it's been 9 weeks since I first saw them.

Any ideas on how old they are - would it be about ? 12 weeks?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Can you get a pic of the kitten? That would help.
The pics I have aren't that good - all taken through the window.

I'm just now getting to my computer, just got back from the clinic - after a little bit of a problem - guess they have a "one feral per person" policy - which is first time I'd heard that. I asked the desk person where this policy is - that I had gone to the website, and found nothing to help me know the "policy" of bring in ferals. They don't post it, and the time you find out is when you're already in the situation. grrrr

Here I've trapped two Ferals (one is mommy, and 4 weeks pregnant), and she wants me to take one back. The kitten has already been in the cage since 8 pm last night!!!, and she was telling me to take it home, keep it in the trap, and bring it in tomorrow another 24 hours!!!.

Fortunately, the Tech came walking through, and I stopped her, showed her the situation - the kitten looked big enough - they kept it. Boy was the desk person bent out of shape.

I tried to smooth it over by explaining that I had been up all night over this, that there was no information provided about ferals, that I understood the need for "policy", it's just that .... well, fill in the blanks ...
I told the desk person that I didn't try to go over her head, but was asking the tech is the kitten was big enough for surgery, which was true, the Tech just filled in the blanks and knew they needed to take the kitten today.

The usual surgeon is not in today - don't know what to think of that - I guess it doesn't make any difference now, so I just have to tell myself not to be concerned.

Well, AddieBee, thanks for your response.

I'm going to try and get some rest, I'm about wiped out - and have to go pick up two cats at 2 pm (CA Time), and care for them during the recovery period.
g
Gloria

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you, Gloria. That front desk person sounds like she has an over-inflated sense of her own importance. good for you for getting some clarification. Good luck caring for these kitties!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Bless you, Gloria. That front desk person sounds like she has an over-inflated sense of her own importance. good for you for getting some clarification. Good luck caring for these kitties!
Thank you - I now have the other kitten trapped, in the garage with his mommy and now neutered brother. Will be taking in tomorrow - I haven't been able to get a good look, but I think this one is a male, too - which means an easier surgery for it.

Just trying to not make any mistakes that would hurt the Ferals in my learning process.

When I picked up the mommy and baby this afternoon there was no one to talk to me about the surgery of the mommy - I almost sure she was pregnant, but ??, which, to me, would mean a little more extensive surgery for her, and a longer recovery period. The desk person wasn't interested in getting the tech person for me to ask questions about the after care of mommy, she said they're ferals - and some vague time frame to let her go.

Okay - pretty much - I shouldn't expect any help from them. I called two people that I've just "met" trying to get help, a mentor, through this adventure with Animal Samaritans. I called both of them tonight about mommy's recovery - one was more cautious in letting her go quickly - told me to keep her warm, that she may not be so interested in food for now.

So, I put the traps on top of some rug cushion to get it off the cold concrete floor, put them side by side, left the sides opened so mommy and babies would have it a little easier seeing each other, and covered them with blankets for additional warmth.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looks like you've got things under control. It seems there is always something to learn when helping ferals and strays.

This site helped me with kitten questions I had. www.kitten-rescue.com

You are doing a great job. Keep posting updates. Best of luck !!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

Looks like you've got things under control. It seems there is always something to learn when helping ferals and strays.

This site helped me with kitten questions I had. www.kitten-rescue.com

You are doing a great job. Keep posting updates. Best of luck !!
A big DITTO on the help we get from each other here on this site!

Thanks for the link - I'm so glad I didn't have to care for such fragile, but strong, beings. Our feral kittens have their mommy, for which I am so grateful.

We took the last kitten - 2 of 2 - for surgery this morning - will be picking up at 2 p.m. (CA time). The kind lady that loaned us two traps needs them back today, so, after we bring home the kitten, we're going to try and transfer all three into a large (dog) kennel, and hopefully it will be warm enough to place them outside to re-acclimate them again to the cooler conditions outside. We may transfer the new "patient" into our trap and keep him in the garage tonight - or - put him in with his mommy and brother - we haven't decided yet. We'll be putting plenty of blankets over, and under the kennel to keep them warm.

We live in the desert, and the weather reports show no more rain, and temps getting into the high 60's by tomorrow, and 70's beginning Thursday. The lows are hanging around 43 - 53 mark - so, it's a perfect time for them to have undergone their surgeries, not too hot, not too cold.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew - sure glad we got her in for surgery.

We just picked her up, she's active but quiet. This morning, on the way over to the clinic, she had a lot to say about the trip - maybe it was my husband's driving.

Got her back into the garage, her cage is along side of mommy and brother, who are now sharing the same cage. Gave her some canned food and water. She seems like she's doing well.

You know, when mommy was in her own cage, there was no spitting. But, now that she has her baby in with her there is spitting. (I was putting in food and water.) She just wanted to let me know I'd better watch myself!

She put herself between me and the kitten - what a GREAT mommy! :