Sweet Strays.....

desertjewel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Who has tamed a stray or feral cat before? (just curious) My sisters and I have trained 2 feral cats. Their names are Charlie and Guy. Charlie is now 12 years old and the sweetest little lovebug and lap warmer around. He showed up at our house a few years ago gashed and cut up, and skittish as ever. Now he's Mr. Lovebug himself! Guy isn't living with us anymore, but he turned out to be a real sweetie as well. Has anyone else experienced taming a feral?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Jolly good done!
Fostering a feral is perhaps not that unusual. The more unusual is you did apparently fostered a grown up - yes, an older - feral.
My guess, him being wounded and hurt did helped somewhat in that process...

How long did it took for you to foster this older feral into a homecat??

Btw, how do you know he is 12 years? Is it what the vet believes??

cat-tastrophe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Jolly good done!
Fostering a feral is perhaps not that unusual. The more unusual is you did apparently fostered a grown up - yes, an older - feral.
My guess, him being wounded and hurt did helped somewhat in that process...

How long did it took for you to foster this older feral into a homecat??

Btw, how do you know he is 12 years? Is it what the vet believes??
DesertJewel is my younger sister.
I think I can answer your questions though, because she and I tamed the kitties together with our older sis.

We live on a farm, and this feral tomcat (Guy) showed up to mate our cat, Tiara. He wasn't really injured, just had a few scrapes here and there. We started feeding him and just spent time with him when we were outside, talking to him and using our kitten to disguise our hand as we pet him!lol
He went from a completely feral, "dart when people come near" type to a friendly, trusting lovebug who loved to be pet. We never did turn him into an indoor housecat, as all of our kitties are allowed outdoors. he did really well and was filling out nicely. Even though he always stayed a tomcat, he never wandered and was so sweet with his kittens. We all thought it was best to make him feral again though, because we were planning to move and we were worried about him becoming too people dependent. We see him occasionally and he's gone back to being feral, but is fine.

The other cat, Charlie, was pretty tame when we found him, but was injured. He started hanging around because he made friends with my cat Junior and we fed him. He's now 12 years old and is an outdoor kitty. He's one of our permanent family members!