Any recommendations for good cat harness?

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would like to start taking Toby outside on a leash when the weather is good. I bought a harness, but it's the figure-8 kind and I thought I remember someone on here mentioning cats can slip out of that type when they're scared. Does anyone have any suggestions of a harness that the cat can't get out of?

This isn't the brand I got, but his harness looks similiar to this style:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...7&c=3261+10634

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think pretty much any "roman" style harness would work well for you. I used harnesses on my four "big kids" when I moved from MA to NC.

My Ferris is so big that on him I had to use a harness meant for a small breed dog.
I wound up using the Signature adjustable harnesses by AspenPet for all of them.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Roman style dog harnesses, they sit in a V down the chest not around the neck like normal cat harnesses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone
those look like they'll work better than what I have.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used the Foster & Smith products with good results for my late Casey. He was a petite brown tabby boy. But my Buddy is much longer and leaner and he easily escaped this type, so I will try the other type now. Thanks for the recommendation!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If you find one that actually works, I'd like to know. My cats basically walk out of the figure 8 style. As for the others, I think they could teach Houdini a thing or two.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been looking at the harnesses at Target made for dogs. I have yet to get myself to actually buy one yet, though. I bought one of these http://www.petco.com/product/2059/Fo...d-Harness.aspx a while ago, and recently tried it on Nora, but she got scared and started running around like crazy and got the leash stuck under a leg on a chair and almost strangulated herself.
I was even sitting right there watching her, and it happened so fast! I wouldn't recommend that kind. lol

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one of the walking jackets like ARLYN suggested above. Kody hated the regular harness (& he could get out of it.) When I put the walking jacket on him, I thought he would act crazy and paranoid like he did with the harness, but he barely acts like he notices it.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I prefer The Walking Jacket

This one looks good - I'll purchase one for Ku Ku.

I've alreayd tried 2 different kinds(strap & the one for small dog) but Ku Ku did not like any of them. She escaped from the strap, so I guess this is no-no.
Then, I tried the other kind on her, she totally "freezes" and could not even move at all