What are some songs that take you back?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the way to the market, our radio station played a "golden oldie"
Whitesnakes "Here I go Again".

This was on the charts the summer after I graduated from HS (1987), and while I am kinda depressed it's now considered a "golden oldie", it brought back so many memories! I was a head banger at heart in high school and LOVE all that kind of music. That is just one of my favorite songs.

So, what are some songs that take you back to your high school days?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aren't we about to show our ages here?

The Who - anything off their Who's Next album.

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Aerosmith - Same Old Song and Dance

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big hit when I was in 8th grade was "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks. I consider it an incredibly sappy song, but at the time (graduating from middle school and entering high school) it seemed terribly appropriate.

The song "Beach Baby" (by a group called First Class, I think) was a huge hit the summer I met my husband. Seemed like it was always on the car radio, and of course we were always in the car with the radio on.

Paul McCartney & Wings' "My Love" was playing on the car radio the first time DH held my hand.

Oh man, I am soooooo old!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This song brings back memories of Saturday Nights at the Seattle Center, watching my mom and stepdad dancing, it is my all time favorite song ever, and the reason I took ballroom dance lessons.

And this, for me, is the quintessential 80s song, and represents, IMO, what the 80s were all about.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20...09-jenny_music

The stuff my sister and I listened to in the 70s while the rest of the world was still at the Disco.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

This song brings back memories of Saturday Nights at the Seattle Center, watching my mom and stepdad dancing, it is my all time favorite song ever, and the reason I took ballroom dance lessons.

And this, for me, is the quintessential 80s song, and represents, IMO, what the 80s were all about.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20...09-jenny_music

The stuff my sister and I listened to in the 70s while the rest of the world was still at the Disco.
Oh, I LOVE big band music!! "In The Mood" has to be one of my favorites, for many of the same reasons it is yours...so many memories.

Jenny...how many people tried to call that number??

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sugar Ray! That was popular when I was in middle school. A song came on the radio the other day and I was surprised I still knew all the words!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots do, but Rick James' "Super Freak" really does. Takes me back to the days when I had a little 5 speed convertible and my friends and I would go "cruising" around the city with the top down and the music blasting flirting at all of the guys we saw!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember the first time I heard this one:

Hey, Jude

Sitting in a cafe, my junior year in high school, Christmas break, away from home because the factory I was working in burned down, so I had to go to another branch to help them fill orders.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm...you know I cant even remember what would have been playing when I was in HS (no Im not that old :p) I listen to classic rock anyway so I probably wasnt listening to anything new

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any songs from the 90s pretty much bring me back. They have a 90s lunch hour on one of the radio stations that always brings me back LOL. And songs from the early 00's, because that was from when I was a freshman/sophomore in HS and had some craaaazy times with friends listening to music.

Yeah, I go back real far

Any oldies from the 50s do too, because I grew up listening to them (mom likes 50s-60s) so I remember singing them as a kid.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really say many songs take me back...All of the songs that were hits in the 90s when I was growing up are no longer famous at all...I think it just wasn't a good decade for quality music.
I have to say though I love listening to music from different times, for the late 70s early 80s Queen are my favorite...Freddie Mercury has an incredible voice, I don't think I've heard anyone quite like him. But then again so much good music has been made in that time period!! There is Led Zeppelin, David Bowie....I feel like the music that is in the charts today just doesn't measure up..It's fun and all and good to dance to, but that's all there is to it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spring 1971, sitting at the sideboard in the dining room doing homework with my little orange plastic transistor radio beside me, the sweet-vinegar fragrance of Mom's Harvard beets wafting in from the kitchen. Out of the scratchy little speaker rises the most beautiful little acoustic guitar riff... and then this simple, tender voice... and as the song continues, I realize the lyrics are sheer poetry:
...Now the first of December was covered with snow
And so was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston
The Berkshires seemed dreamlike on account of that frosting
With ten miles behind me, and ten thousand more to go
There's a song that they sing when they take to the highway
A song that they sing when they take to the sea
A song that they sing of their home in the sky
Maybe you can believe it, if it helps you to sleep
But singing seems to work fine for me...
...and when it ends, I listen for the name of the artist, and I think, "This guy is going to be important in my life."

Sweet Baby James, by James Taylor.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Just yesterday morning, they let me know you were gone;
Suzanne, the plans they made put an end to you.
I walked out this morning and I wrote down this song
I just can't remember who to send it to

I've seen fire and I've seen rain
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend
But I always thought that I'd see you again"

Yeah, pretty good work for a crazy guy.