TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Gosh darn neighbros
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gosh darn neighbros

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
You may know that two of our cats were originally adopted and then abandoned by the neighbors. These particular people moved away but their replacements got a puppy for Christmas that has been tied (with a rope) to a stake in their yard ALL DAY. No food or water that I can see and no shelter. It has been about 45 all day - a little cloudy.

Now one of the dogs from across the street is running loose (another story) and is playing with the new puppy - who runs after him until the rope runs out and she is choked as she's yanked back.

I am just about to call the SPCA but its Saturday, so I know no one will come out today. These new neighbors are very cold - never responded to friendly waves or hellos, so I am not sure about approaching them.

I guess I just had to rant a little. Why do people do this stuff?
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondine View Post
You may know that two of our cats were originally adopted and then abandoned by the neighbors. These particular people moved away but their replacements got a puppy for Christmas that has been tied (with a rope) to a stake in their yard ALL DAY. No food or water that I can see and no shelter. It has been about 45 all day - a little cloudy.

Now one of the dogs from across the street is running loose (another story) and is playing with the new puppy - who runs after him until the rope runs out and she is choked as she's yanked back.

I am just about to call the SPCA but its Saturday, so I know no one will come out today. These new neighbors are very cold - never responded to friendly waves or hellos, so I am not sure about approaching them.

I guess I just had to rant a little. Why do people do this stuff?
Because some people are stupid, I would call the police, I would think that they have an emergency number or something. Or I would at least call the SPCA, you might could leave a message and maybe they would call you back. But I would be calling somebody, that puppy does not deserve to be treated like that.
post #3 of 16
If it were me and I knew they weren't home, I would go and take the puppy home and find it a new family to live with. If they asked if I saw the dog, I'd lie and say no.

I'm not above animal knapping in order to save their lives and help get them into a better environment. I've done it and I'd do it again.
post #4 of 16
people are idiots..

Im glad most of our neighbors keep their dogs under control.. I see most of the dogs offleash with no fence, but they stay in their yard and are supervised.

One neighbor was letting her big mastiff mix pup run loose last year.. the dog warden picked him up at least 3 times within a week.. she got the hint and got tired of paying to pull the dog out, and has kept him in their own yard since.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
If it were me and I knew they weren't home, I would go and take the puppy home and find it a new family to live with. If they asked if I saw the dog, I'd lie and say no.

I'm not above animal knapping in order to save their lives and help get them into a better environment. I've done it and I'd do it again.
I like the way that you think, this was a great post.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
I would go and take the puppy home and find it a new family to live with
I ditto. One of my dogs actually came to me that way. Well, I came to him! He was just a 3 month old puppy, tied outside in a front yard to a chainlink fence, in the middle of the sun. No food or water. It was 112 outside that day. He looked miserable. Their previous dog they let roam, and it was hit by a car. Damn right I saved him! (And they replaced him soon after, and this dog was also hit by a car.).
post #7 of 16
If you are gonna swipe the puppy - don't lie if they ask if you've seen it. Just simply say "yes, I've seen it tied in the backyard with no food or shelter" and then close the door.
post #8 of 16
You have to be careful about dog napping. I had a friend that picked up a stray running down the road and it turned out to be used as a breeding dog (badly, not a good situation) so when the owners called (she placed a found ad before she took it to the vet) she told them it "ran away" and they took her to court (even though they couldnt proove anything) and she got charged with a felony.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101 View Post
I ditto. One of my dogs actually came to me that way. Well, I came to him! He was just a 3 month old puppy, tied outside in a front yard to a chainlink fence, in the middle of the sun. No food or water. It was 112 outside that day. He looked miserable. Their previous dog they let roam, and it was hit by a car. Damn right I saved him! (And they replaced him soon after, and this dog was also hit by a car.).
Yeah, this is the problem with going all vigilante- people are indifferent about the pet to begin with, figure the dog just ran away (they don't connect their negligence with this) and they'll just get another one, leaving it in the same situation. If you get the authorities involved, they'll realize their mistake and either learn something (not likely!) or figure having a pet is too big a hassle and not get another one.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
If you are gonna swipe the puppy - don't lie if they ask if you've seen it. Just simply say "yes, I've seen it tied in the backyard with no food or shelter" and then close the door.
I like the way you think!!
post #11 of 16
I wouldn't dognap it, but I surely would call the SPCA... They would find a good home for the dog, or at least make sure it's treated right...
post #12 of 16
I d call the police/animal warden. I've done this quite a few times over the years and in at least a couple of instances the dog was removed from the 'owner' immediately. That tells me I definitely did the right thing.

IF (big if) you can get the puppy without anyone seeing you, and IF you have a new home to take it to, well then, maybe the rope around that pup's neck could accidentally become frayed or untied and the puppy could get loose thru no one else's fault and just disappear (into a new loving home).

The puppy is lucky to have someone looking out for her. BTW, I'd bet anything she isn't spayed. Please don't back down; it sounds as if the poor little thing needs a saviour.
post #13 of 16
Just as a passing note, in more and more localities, it is illegal to tie a dog up in a yard. Fort Worth is one big example, but many more cities are adopting this ordinance.
post #14 of 16
Oh, poor puppy Sending vibes that those awful people will decide it's too expensive, or whatever, and decide to NOT own a pet, of any kind, anymore and that the puppy is given a better home
Please keep us updated
post #15 of 16
I would have called the police.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
If it were me and I knew they weren't home, I would go and take the puppy home and find it a new family to live with. If they asked if I saw the dog, I'd lie and say no.

I'm not above animal knapping in order to save their lives and help get them into a better environment. I've done it and I'd do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
If you are gonna swipe the puppy - don't lie if they ask if you've seen it. Just simply say "yes, I've seen it tied in the backyard with no food or shelter" and then close the door.
Agreed on both counts. I hope this poor puppy has been rehomed by now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Gosh darn neighbros