What would you do?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had lunch today at the "On the Border" restaurant close to the store I was delivering at. I had a lunch chimichanga and a diet coke, which came to $10.37. I gave the waitress a $20 bill, and she brought back 9 $1 bills as change.

So...she assumed she would get at least 63 cents as a tip. I left one of the dollar bills, and called it even.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if the waitress did not bring back the full change, I probably would not have left any tip.. just let her have the change she kept. Thats a bit of a pet peeve when a waitress takes it upon herself to keep a tip like that.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I had lunch today at the "On the Border" restaurant close to the store I was delivering at. I had a lunch chimichanga and a diet coke, which came to $10.37. I gave the waitress a $20 bill, and she brought back 9 $1 bills as change.

So...she assumed she would get at least 63 cents as a tip. I left one of the dollar bills, and called it even.
Hmmmm, this is one of those politically correct/personal character trick situations!
She with out a doubt should not have assumed any tip by returning less then what your exact change was.
In my opinion, the tip amount should be solely based on service. If it sucked, the change they with held just verifies this! If the service was friendly and accomodating, I don't think you would be asking this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, the service was fine, and I would have left her $2 as a tip.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Actually, the service was fine, and I would have left her $2 as a tip.
Same here... I can't get myself to give a dollar tip...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is also a pet peeve of mine, when waitresses take it upon themselves to take a tip. I probably would have asked her where the rest of my change was

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the way I see it, if she assumed she was entitled to a 63 cent tip.. then that's what she gets.

Otherwise, had the proper change been brought to me, and I felt I got good service, I would leave $2-3.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nekkiddoglady

the way I see it, if she assumed she was entitled to a 63 cent tip.. then that's what she gets.

Otherwise, had the proper change been brought to me, and I felt I got good service, I would leave $2-3.
I wouldn't have left her anything. Had she not taken any change, I would have left $2 or $3 if I liked the service.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate tipping
that being said:

several close people in my life have had or do work in the restaurant industry. they rely very heavily on tips because the job itself pays very little on average. I always overtip because its kinda the right thing to do. 15-20% is expected and typical.

on the other hand, most of these people make a killing in tips. maybe 300$ a day in tips alone! and of course not hiving you your change is stealing, unless she forgot the coins and the register only had 1's for change (totally possible).

I would not go back, and if you do, go tell her shes naughty!

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

I

on the other hand, most of these people make a killing in tips. maybe 300$ a day in tips alone!
I think Im in the wrong kind of work!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People who assume they are getting a tip, get no tip from me! I posted something similar to this, about taxi cab drivers who round up fares to the nearest dollar and "keep the change".

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185015

My rule of thumb is if someone is doing something "personal" for me and pampering me, then fine, I'll tip. But I won't tip if the person tries to take their own tip. I'll ask for my correct change and then leave.

More than 20 years ago the required tip was 10%. I remember having gone to an upscale restaurant. The bill for 2 was over $60.00. Back then that was a great deal of money. I remember having given the waiter a $100.00 bill and him saying "Thank you" and never coming back with the change. We sat there for nearly half an hour finishing our coffee. He never once came back to the table, though he was in the area but he seemed to be "ducking" around where we were.

Before I left I sought him out and reminded him that he owed me a substantial amount of change. He looked shocked and then stammered that he had forgotten. He gave me my change and I didn't leave him a tip. He hadn't forgotten. He did he best to avoid coming back to our table, assuming that we wouldn't have the nerve to approach him about it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably wouldn't have left her anything. If she automatically claims some of my change as her tip, then fine, that's what she's getting. I am also one of those people who has no problem leaving next to nothing when I get crappy service. One time I had horrible service and left a quarter. Figured it would get the message through more than leaving nothing. A friend of mine thought I was an absolutely horrible person for doing that, but I had to say "to each their own".

On the other hand, when I get good service and good food, we generally over tip. We once tipped 50% on a bill at one of my favorite restaurants because they had great service and great food. Usually we leave a ~30% tip for one of our friends when we go eat at the restaurant where he's a bartender (he usually always gives us free drinks while we're there).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tipping in general is a whole different discussion! I personally think restaurants should raise their wages and their prices and just say, "No tipping."

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she meant to give you ten back. I used to do that when I was in a rush, just give a dollar back instead of like 78 cents or something. But if I though she'd done it on purpose I would have asked for the 63 cents back and not left her anything. That's very presumptuous of her.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Tipping in general is a whole different discussion! I personally think restaurants should raise their wages and their prices and just say, "No tipping."
I agree. I work in the food industry and I don't get tips, so why should some people that do pretty much the same thing I do?

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont care about the 20 % tipping rule. I base my tipping upon the service i recieve, and if she would have took it upon herself not to give me my change like that, i dont care how good the service was she would have gotten nothing.

One thing i think is totally wrong is when you pay the bill and the waitress says, would you like change??? If i owned a restaraunt i would have my waitresses say i'll be right back with your change. That leaves an open door for the customer to say no honey you keep the change.

I usually am a very good tipper tho. I dont have many problems with servers. If they bring something that isnt right im very polite and thats not their fault. I dont believe in ever being rude because they get enough of that. I usually end up leaving more than 20%.

Its very rare they get me that mad.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I once left a penny for a tip.

Me and my (now ex) hubby were at a truck stop late at nite. We were obviously a couple, holding hands, etc.. but the waitress pretty much ignored me and flirted with my hubby.

So I left a penny..

Funny thing was, it was late at nite.. there was an older guy cleaning floors and bussing tables.. he was abit, er, "slow".. he saw us leaving the penny for a tip and thought it was funny.. he picked the penny up, held it up in the air, and said out loud to the waitress "Here's your TIP! YOU GOT A PENNY!"..

We actually gave the fella a few bucks for a tip.. he was working hard and doing a good job keeping things clean... darn waitress was too interested in flirting with the truckers, and hinting about other ways she could earn some "tips".

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think NZ/Australia has the right attitude when it comes to tips - people don't tip here. I've never left a tip nor have I ever known anyone has left a tip.