birth control- VENT

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to the Dr yesterday for my post-natal checkup.. We did not discuss birth control much, I already knew that my preference was for either the pill or patch, if my medical card would cover it.

He thought that the patch was covered, so he wrote me an Rx for that.

Turns out, its not covered.. they would cover it if its pre-authorized, but my OB/GYN's office does not pre-authorize. It will cost around $60 a month for the Rx. Im sure if he had known it wasnt covered that we would have discussed other options.

The things they will cover are not options I want.. pills - with the hectic lifestyle of motherhood, I dont think I will remember to take it on time, or every day. depo shot- I dont like needles, almost everyone I know who has taken this had issues with mood swings, weight gain, etc. IUD - Ive heard of women having problems with cramping, which I already get, and have also heard horror stories of perforations and uterine rupture.

After several calls back and forth between the Dr's office and my insurance, I was under the impression that I'd take a few days to think about it, and get back to the Dr's Office on what to use.. I was tempted to call the Dr back and tell them to schedule me for a SPAY! And I dont mean tubal ligation!

The Dr office left me a voice mail earlier today stating that my Dr would be out of the office until Tuesday, and they'd call me back then to let me know which method he chose for me...

wait? I dont get to choose which method I want???

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had an IUD for a little over 3 years now and I love it. I wouldn't use anything else. When I discussed the risks with my Dr. she said they are very safe now and that most of the "horror" stories are from the 70's. I had issues with cramping for a year but most people I'd talked to only had that as a symptom for a couple of cycles. Just my experience...

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
birth control is so confusing, supposedly there are so many options but when you take in your personal considerations, it's almost no choice..My top preferences are:lunelle injection, nuva ring and patch. You know, you can go to a fertility clinic or family planning clinic and they will offer those things at a discount even if you do not have insurance. Did you really mean you will get your tubes tied? It might be cheaper in the long run...I think another thing that is not expensive is having an implant in your arm because there is only a one time cost and you keep it on until you no longer want to be on birth control

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally love the pill YAZ im on.

my friend was on IUD last year and it was so bad for 4 months she couldnt leave the house during that time of the month. but, they told her it is worse for women who havent had kids-like her- and it would get better. she couldnt take it and had it removed.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought you can only have a IUD if you've had a child already.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I think another thing that is not expensive is having an implant in your arm because there is only a one time cost and you keep it on until you no longer want to be on birth control
You don't just keep the implant until you don't want birth control, it only lasts 3 years then has to be taken out and replaced with a new one.

I like the implant because I don't hace to worry about daily pills or changing patches etc. and I'm free of my monthly 'friend'

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I thought you can only have a IUD if you've had a child already.
Definitely not. They recommend it, but I was child-free [and still am
] when I got mine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really prefer a method that I have more control over.. if Im having any side effects or issues, then I can just stop taking it and go see the Dr at my convienience.. cant really do that with implants or shots! I was on seasonale a few years ago.. I loved not having periods every month! But after being on it for about a year and a half, I started having problems where I bled and spotted off and on for about a month.. the problem stopped when I stopped taking the pill.

I dont want my tubes tied.. no.. If Im going in for surgury, I want the whole dang thing removed!

Thought about a clinic, but they will most likely require me to get a PAP smear to prescribe anything.. I just had one during my pregnancy, and Im not due for another till July-August. I dont want to do another until I have to. I have found that some of those health clinics are not as gentle either.. last time I had a PAP at a clinic I was sore in my abdominal area for a whole week.. it was even uncomfortable to wear a seat belt because of the pressure it put on my abdomen.. I much prefer to have my OB/GYN do the PAP when its time to do it again... I did not have any issues when he did it.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

I've had an IUD for a little over 3 years now and I love it. I wouldn't use anything else. When I discussed the risks with my Dr. she said they are very safe now and that most of the "horror" stories are from the 70's. I had issues with cramping for a year but most people I'd talked to only had that as a symptom for a couple of cycles. Just my experience...
I have heard of women having issues with even some of the newer IUD's, such as the Mirena.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nekkiddoglady

I have heard of women having issues with even some of the newer IUD's, such as the Mirena.
I don't have that one, I have the copper IUD. I think it's Paragard.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I don't have to take birth control!! (Not being able to get pregnant helps that. lol) I haven't taken birth control for about 8 years. Before that I used the patch, but it was brand new at the time, and I had a horrible reaction to it. You have to put a new one on every month, right?? I had to time mine and put it on on a certain day of the week b/c I would vomit non stop for the first 2-3 days I had a new one on. EVERY month. I can't even remember to take my Addison's medication, let alone a pill. LOL

My sister uses Nuva Ring and loves it, but I've seen commercials on tv about law suits from it causing health problems. I can't use an IUD b/c I've had an ectopic pregnancy before.

I agree with you, though. I would NOT be happy with someone just picking out a birth control for me. I would want to choose it myself. I would call them back and tell them no thanks, and that you'll wait until he gets back.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the patch is changed every week.. the ring is changed every month. Both are fairly new tho, and because there is no generic (yet), its not covered.

If I had done the paperwork ahead of time, I could have had the option of getting my tubes tied after delivery while I was in the hospital.. I did not know that had to be arranged ahead of time tho. The nurse asked me if I wanted to schedule it to be done, and I asked if it could be done during a cecarian, if I needed that done- yes, its possible, but only if I had done the paperwork in advanced.

Some people were surprised it was offered to me.. Im 27 and this is my first baby.. most seem to think you have to have at least 3 kids and/or be at least in your 30's.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I knew then, what I know now.. I would have made the arrangements for the tubal ligation while I was already in the hospital and had the IV line.

At this point, if Im going to go back to go thru the hassel of going to the hospital, getting an IV in me, and healing then I want a hysterectomy!

I think my biggest issue is getting the IV line, which would be necessary for surgury.. I dont like needles.. they irritate me. The whole time I had the line in me, it bothered my hand.. even now Im 5 weeks postpartum and my hand still bothers me a little from where the line was at. Blood doesnt bother me at all. This is why I didnt get an epidural.. even tho Im told "you dont see it".. its not just looking, even feeling a needle in my skin bothers me.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am on YAZ right now, and have been for the last 2 years. I've thought about an IUD, so then I won't have to take a pill daily. I also wanted the implant, but with our bathroom scale, it sends some type of signal through the body and affects hormonal implants and IUDs.

I don't really like the ring, and don't want to deal with a patch. Heard a bunch of crappy stories about the shot, so that leaves me with pills. I'm pretty good at taking them on time daily (I have my cell phone alarm set to go off when I'm supposed to take them), and I also like that my time of month shows up pretty much every Friday night/Saturday morning of the days I take my sugar pills, so I'm prepared for it (and if it doesn't come, then I know to question why!) Rob says as long as I don't get preggers, he doesn't care what BC I take.

What I really want is to be fixed. But they dont often offer that to 22 year olds with no problems involving those areas... Rob told me when he's 30, he might finally be up for getting snipped - right now he says he really doesn't want to go through that pain or having to make an appointment for it or deal with it. So we got 7 more years of birth control methods.

(And before I get the barrage of people saying I'm going to want kids, I will tell you I despise the idea and thought of having kids [and have felt that way since I was 13-14, and never played with doll babies as a kid] and I don't even want other people's kids into my house). Its a pet peeve of mine when everyone starts getting in my face telling me I'm gonna have 5 kids in a few years because I don't like them now - something I deal with at work every time the subject comes up! Lol.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my tubes tied at 30. I had had an appt. for a consult when I was 28 but I was not 100% sure. When I was almost 30 I had a scare of being pregnant. I am on a bunch of different meds that are NOT pregnancy friendly... so I was very scared about the potential decisions I may have had to make if I had been pregnant. Luckily I was not, and I booked the tubal surgery. Would have loved for them to do a full hysterectomy, but here they will not do it unless you have problems.

Prior to that I was on a lite pill. I just started associating it with a morning habit (ex. getting my coffee) and then it became routine for me. It helped that I'm on other meds that I have to take so it was just one more for me.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on the patch and have been for 7 years. My insurance pays for all except $35. Luckily I only have to buy it once a month

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using the Implanon bar for three years now, and it works for me....no monthly 'friend' for that length of time has been heaven
(I'm due to have it replaced this year in May)

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

(And before I get the barrage of people saying I'm going to want kids, I will tell you I despise the idea and thought of having kids [and have felt that way since I was 13-14, and never played with doll babies as a kid] and I don't even want other people's kids into my house). Its a pet peeve of mine when everyone starts getting in my face telling me I'm gonna have 5 kids in a few years because I don't like them now - something I deal with at work every time the subject comes up! Lol.
You know, honestly.. when I was your age, I felt the same way.. I never played with dolls as a child.. I had stuffed animals and plastic dinosaurs. I just never had the desire to have kids. Most kids irritated me, and I just didnt care for them much. In the past few years tho I got to the point that although I didnt have a burning desire to have children, I wouldnt mind.. but also wouldnt be dissapointed if it didnt happen... "If it happens it happens".

Im not saying that will be you, but it does happen. I heard the same thing of "someday you will want them". I didnt believe it.. I was happy with my pets. I wouldnt trade my baby in for anything.. well, at least she certainly isnt going back where she came from!

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They dont do hysterectomies here either unless medically necessary either, but I still want one!

I dont understand it.. its healthier for pets to be spayed and neutered.. so why not us too?

Dr explained that there are risks of birth control bethods.. but those risks outweigh the risks that come with pregnancy.. so wouldnt the risks of early menopause outweigh those risks as well??

If we decide we want more children later, Im open to adoption.. plenty of kids that need a home. Plus you can get a young child and skip the whole process of diapers and 3 am feedings!