Recipie ideas needed

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So at work I was put in charge of the recipie board for the demo stand. I need to come up with simple things that can be made quickly and easily. There are a few requirements....

1) No more than 5 ingredients, condiments and spices do not count.
2) Should be easy to describe how to make, 4-5 lines if possable.
3) It can be anything from an appitizer to a main course.

Most of our customers are singles or couples who work full time and don't cook much so think about that as well. They need to be easy to make but also realatively healthy. I will be changing the board weekly, so the more ideas I get the better. I would really like any vegitarian or vegan ideas. I never cook like that so I have no clue what to offer.

For those of you who shop at Trader Joes I am also putting to gether menu ideas for people using our premade foods. So if you have a good stand by fast meal let me know that to. (Any fast meal ideas will work, I can figure out if we have the same things and incorperate it.) It just needs to be things that can be heated up, not actually made. Heres and example of this part.

A meal for two, total cook time 15 minutes.
Fresh made lasagna
salad
bread
a nice merlot

I find that most people who come in after work have no idea what to make for dinner, they are tired and just need some direction, thats what I am trying to give them.

Oh one last thing, if you can also recomend a wine, beer or other beverage that goes well with you recipie please include it.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do cook alot, so i will try to help you out when i think of something!

Have you thought about salads? you can make some great, filling salads.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Did you see this site?

http://www.mealsmatter.org/RecipesAn...als/index.aspx
Thank you so much for this, I had no idea that a site like this was ever out there.

Meowers wrote
Have you thought about salads? you can make some great, filling salads.
I did think about salads but I kind of want to do something a bit nicer. I will do salads during the summer but it is still cold out so I was thinking things like soups or pastas. Not just canned soup or jared pasta sauce. Something that takes a bit more time but is still fast. Cost is not an issue, most of our customers have money and really don't care how much they spend. They just don't want to have to think.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
here's a dish that can be made in the microwave or stove top that I just threw together last week.

I used:
angel hair spagetti
frozen spinache
tomatoe
ranch dressing
parmasean cheese
garlic salt

Break up the angel hair, put in a microwave safe dish, cook in water in microwave for about 6 mins, stopping to stir every 3 mins.. add the frozen spinache, cook for another 3 mins.. then drain noodles and spinache add a few spoonfuls of ranch dressing and parmeasean and garlic salt to taste.. heat for 30-60 seconds.. add diced tomatoes and stir.. enjoy!

I dont have exact measurements.. I eyeball it and use what looks like an appropriate serving size.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
nekkiddoglady thats perfect. I will be using that in two weeks. This week is Papya mago chicken quesadillas. You are thinking along the right lines. We have all those ingredients and it sound very tasty. Thank you

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can hand out the recipes on a small piece of paper, like the size of an index card, they can carry it with them thru the store as they shop. It's a little more work for you, but could generate more sales for the store.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's an appetizer recipe that is great and easy.

cream cheese (or vegan substitute)
1-2 env ranch dressing mix
chopped jalepenoes
chopped pimentos
chopped olives
shredded chedder cheese
chopped onion
chopped green pepper

mix well, spread on tortillas, roll and chill. Then slice and serve.

It's one of those things you do to taste so you can just say whatever vegetables you want (I've used broccoli, black olives, etc...). For best taste for the spread though you want 1 packet of ranch dressing mix for each 8 ounces of cream cheese. And, honestly, I think the chopped jalepenos really make the whole thing.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
another good dish is the layered taco salad dip..

Use your favorite "taco" fillings.. you dont have to use all of these, but just for ideas of things you can use to layer..

shredded cheese
seasoned ground beef
lettuce
tomato
sour cream
quacamole
salsa
onions
peppers
black olives

layer the shredded cheese on the bottom of a caserole dish (or you could make separate dishes layered to everyone's taste in single serve bowls).. cook the meat, layer the warm meat on top of the cheese, it will melt together.. when the meat cools, layer with your favorites.. I like lettuce, sour cream, tomatoes and more cheese on top.

Use some corn chips to "scoop".. enjoy!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a quick and easy pasta thing, with fresh tomatoes and basil...

Take two or three small tomatoes per serving and chop coarsely. Melt a few
tablespoons of butter in a large skillet (you can use oil, but butter
really does add to the flavour) and saute the tomatoes in it with a
generous sprinkle of sugar and freshly ground pepper, while your pasta is
cooking. They'll mush down a fair bit. When the pasta is done (al dente),
drain and add it to the tomatoes, along with a good handful of chopped
fresh basil and a couple of tablespoons of grated parmesan or romano, and
toss it all together. If the tomatoes have mushed down too far, you can
add a couple more with the pasta and basil, so there are some chunks.
Garnish each serving with one or two fresh basil leaves and pass the cheese.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More than 5 ingredients but easy to make and tasty:

Chicken Past Salad - Serves 1

1/2 cup cooked chicken, diced
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup tomato, chopped
1/2 cup broccoli, cooked and diced
1/2 cup pasta, cooked. (rainbow is pretty)
2 Tablespoons salad dressing of choice

Combine all ingredients and serve on a bed of lettuce.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is another.

Chicken Vegetable Soup

1 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
3/4 pound raw chicken breasts, skinned, boned and cubed
1 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 cup potato, cubed
1 cup carrots, cubed
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and simmer about 20 minutes until chicken is cooked and potatoes and carrots are tender.

Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve.

Serves 4.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And one more

Shrimp Creole

2 Tablespoons flour
1 medium onion, chopped
1 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1/4 water
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 bay leaf
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 pound cooked, shelled and deveined shrimp

In a large Dutch oven, add flour. Cook over low heat until light brown (not burned). Sir frequently. Add onion and diced tomatoes. Cook until onions are translucent. Add in remaining ingredients except shrimp. Mix well. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until green pepper is soft. Stir frequently. Add shrimp. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes until shrimp is hot.

Serve over rice.

Serves 4.

Freezes well.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soft Tacos

3/4 pound ground turkey
2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth
12 - small corn tortillas
1 small head lettuce, shredded
2 cups chopped tomato
1/2 green onions, thinly sliced

Coat a non stick pan with vegetable spray. Sautee turkey until brown and crumbly. Add spices and chicken stock. Mix well. Simmer 10 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. Place 2 Tablespoons of turkey mixture on a warm tortilla. Top with lettuce, tomato and onions.

Serves 6

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

If you can hand out the recipes on a small piece of paper, like the size of an index card, they can carry it with them thru the store as they shop. It's a little more work for you, but could generate more sales for the store.
That is exactly what we do, plus it alows people to take the recipe and save it for later.

Natalie_ca In your Chicken salad recipe would can chicken work or does it need to be fresh? We do sell chicken thats precooked, whhole and cut up so if canned won't work I can just sugest those.

calico2222, I love your idea. I will use the vegan cream cheese though and use it for our vegan customers.

Thank you everyone these ideas are great. They will help me so much. I know they will help some people on here too. I did find out today that our flyer is coming out this week so I have to use only whats being advertized for the next few weeks. Mainly because we are ordering a ton of things and we want to sell them. Its tough because not alot of things work together but I can make it work.

FYI to those who have a Trader Joes near them, the new flyer will be mailed on Tuesday and will be in stores then also. Have fun, its a big one, 24 pages.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an awesome basic cream base that can be applied to several different recipe dinners! It's easy, healthy, and delicious!

Cream sauce base
In sauce pot
2 tablespoons butter or margarine - melt and add salt pepper to desired
1-1 1/2 tablespoon flour - beat in till smooth
2 cups milk - blend in smoothly with whip
simmer and stir frequently till thickens

This base can be used for several sauces, gravies, soups........
Add Parmesan cheese and have a delicious sauce for asparagus, broccoli, and more

Cream chicken with pasta

In saute pan
1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small chopped red onion
1 teaspoon of sugar (optional) saute on med heat
Add 1 diced chicken breast
Adobo (optional)
Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Fresh Cilantro
Simmer medium for 15 minutes till thoroughly cooked
Add cream sauce base simmer low another 5 minutes stirring frequently
Cook the pasta of your choice and enjoy!

Paesana

Tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 small red onion diced
1/2 teaspoon sugar, simmer medium
add diced ham, stirring occasionally
Make cream sauce base
Add frozen peas (around 1/2 - 2/3 cup) to cream sauce when it starts to
thicken
Add onion and ham, simmer 5 minutes stirring frequently
Cook pasta of your choice and enjoy!

These are some of the simple quick recipes I stir up, but good home cooking!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I came across this great recipe from the Nestle site. You can add cooked chicken strips or shrimp if you want to. It takes only 15 minutes to make:

1 large package BUITONI refridgerated Fettuccine (I use three cheese ravioli or tri-color tortellini)
1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained
1 jar (15 ounces) Bertolli Alfredo Sauce
Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

I pour the Alfredo in a saucepan, slice the drained peppers into strips and then put them in the Alfredo and quickly puree them until the sauce is light pink with only a few small bit of peppers left. I have a hand held chopper/mixer so I am able to blend/puree the peppers in the same saucepan I use to heat in, but you could toss the sauce and peppers into the blender quickly for the same result.

COOK pasta in a large saucepan. Heat sauce, peppers medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through (do not boil). When pasta is cooked, add the heated sauce. Top with cheese, fresh ground pepper and parsley if you want. Plenty of sauce left to soak up with bread. It was so good I even took a picture of it

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I do alot of crockpot food.

Very easy Chicken stew

Ingreds

Potatoes
Carrots
any other veg you want (I've added peas, and spinach)
1 cn cream chicken soup
1pkg onion soup mix.
Chicken (your frozen precooked chicken works here)

Put a layer of potatoes, then carrots, and whatever other veggies you have, in the crockpot. Top with the slices or chunks of chicken. Mix the cream of chicken soup with the onion soup mix and 1 can of water. Pour over top and cook all day on low. (you can also use ground chicken or turkey)

Or you can do a ground beef stew.

veggies like above, change the soup to cream of mushroom or tomato... no onion soup mix and cooked ground beef. Mix all together and cook in crockpot on low all day (10-12).

To shorten either of these, you can use canned potatoes, canned veggies, then with your frozen chicken pieces... it takes no prep time... just dump everything in the crockpot.

very easy, and healthy too

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chili.... can be vegetarian too.

Canned beans (brown, romano, chickpea's, kidney..etc)
Can tomatoes (diced, or pureed whichever is prefered)
Can mushrooms
Can spaghetti sauce.
pkg of chili seasoning.

Add all to crockpot.... cook all day. Very easy. For the meat lovers, just add cooked ground beef or cooked ground chicken/turkey.

(note, if you want to, you can chop up fresh green peppers and onions too... but its not a nessecity)

Serve with a garlic bread ( you can buy frozen).
Another bonus is you can freeze the leftovers in portion sized containers and then just thaw and heat.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and another, hopefully I am on the right track.

Very easy tomato veg soup in the crockpot

1 can tomato juice (I use low sodium)
1 bag frozen mixed veggies (thawed)
1 can of beans (for protein source)
2 cups frozen hashbrown cubes. (thawed) (or you can use the canned cubed potatoes)
1pkg onion soup mix.

Stir the tomato juice and onion soup mix... add veggies and hashbrowns. Cook on low 6-8hrs.

For non vegetarian, add ground beef.

When working midnights, I learned how to make tons of crockpot meals

I would come home at 7:30am, throw everything in the crockpot, and dinner was made ready for the family at dinner time. It was my way of cooking for my family even though I was sleeping

Let me know if I'm on the right track and I'll post some more