My Dad's in the Hospital - Amazing Story

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father is a rancher and yesterday he penned one of his bulls (one that has a reputation of being particularly mean), and as he was closing the gate, the bull charged him, pulling the gate off of its hinges. The force of it knocked my father onto the ground, he tried to roll out of the way but the gate fell on top of him.

When bulls attack, they knock you down and stomp on you, so the bull went after my Dad. My father had 2,000 pounds of bull on top of him, plus the weight of the gate, but we think the gate saved his life since it helped distribute the weight of the bull.

My father got up, dusted himself off, penned the bull again, and drove home. He was home for hours before anybody knew to call a ambulance. He's in the hospital now with four broken (not cracked) ribs, a partially collapsed lung, and some head trauma. They are keeping him for a couple of days for observation but he's going to be okay.

My father is one tough guy; he is 86 years old. Any vibes you can spare are appreciated.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers. Would you mind posting his first name for us?

Leslie

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG!!!!! That IS amazing!!! What a lucky guy he is to have survived, and he is definitely one tough nut! Whew...

Sending lots of healing vibes for him - but given the sound of it, he's more likely to need vibes that he won't go stir crazy in hospital

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Texas, grew up on a ranch...and have met a nasty bull or two. Angus, by any chance????

Vibes that he recovers quickly. He sure is tough!

Cally

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swamp, that IS amazing. 86 years old, what a tough guy. Wow. Prayers for your father to be up and at 'em really fast. Bless his heart.

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

My father is a rancher and yesterday he penned one of his bulls (one that has a reputation of being particularly mean), and as he was closing the gate, the bull charged him, pulling the gate off of its hinges. The force of it knocked my father onto the ground, he tried to roll out of the way but the gate fell on top of him.

When bulls attack, they knock you down and stomp on you, so the bull went after my Dad. My father had 2,000 pounds of bull on top of him, plus the weight of the gate, but we think the gate saved his life since it helped distribute the weight of the bull.

My father got up, dusted himself off, penned the bull again, and drove home. He was home for hours before anybody knew to call a ambulance. He's in the hospital now with four broken (not cracked) ribs, a partially collapsed lung, and some head trauma. They are keeping him for a couple of days for observation but he's going to be okay.

My father is one tough guy; he is 86 years old. Any vibes you can spare are appreciated.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I hope he's well and out of the hospital soon. Sounds like the type to go stir-crazy in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate the kind words and vibes and prayers!

And you guys are right about going stir-crazy, he hates doctors and hospitals and was refusing a catheter - he said he'll get up if he has to go. Sounds like him!

Cally: He breeds Santa Gertrudis, he's had run-ins with bulls before but nothing like this.

edit: found this picture on the web of a Santa Gertrudis bull, I don't know who the guy is.
http://www.sundownpastoral.com.au/im...alor_bull1.jpg

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

And you guys are right about going stir-crazy, he hates doctors and hospitals and was refusing a catheter - he said he'll get up if he has to go. Sounds like him!
My father is around the same age as yours, and I am just in awe at how tough these older men are. I guess that's why they're called "the greatest generation."

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My God! That bull is HUGE! Your dad is indeed a tough fellow to have survived something like that.

Good healing vibes going to Texas to your dad.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow that is amazing he survived with so few injusries. He must really be an amazing man.

Sending get better vibes his way

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No head trauma after all, only a small bump on his head!

I just talked to him and he's in good spirits, said he's going to change over from Santa Gertrudis to more gentle Angus cattle, lol, like he's going to start over now.

He's miffed that his glasses got broken.

Thank you for the continued good wishes!