Is this "in heat"?

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

My two kittens who are about 4 and a half months/5 months old started to get more and more affectionate and tactile recently. Last night they were 'wrestling' as they do, and when I last looked Maggie was on top of Tiger holding her neck in her teeth (they often do this too!). Anyway, when they separated and stopped playing, I went to rub Tiger and she was very receptive, and rolled on her back for a belly rub and was rubbing the sides of her head off the bedclothes in absolute ecstasy (it seemed to me!
) then she rolled so her bum was in the air a bit but from her middle up was on its side and her front legs were under her, she looked really bizarre and I lifted her onto her legs but the front ones didn't seem to work (they were just under her)and she was very quietly trilling when I rubbed her, I started to panic a bit, she looked like she was paralysed from the neck to the middle, so I got a ribbon (which she cannot resist) and started waving it in front of her and up she got and played away as normal, not a bother on her.

Is this the beginnings of going into heat? Has anyone else had this kind of behaviour? I have no experience with any animal being in heat as until recently only had boys

Thanks!

PS how do I put a photo of my kittens up on my profile?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely sounds like going into heat! Some start earlier then others, and the first time is no picnic
! She will most likely go in and out of heat for the next couple months. It would be best to have them spayed as soon as possible........

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's in heat, you should get them spayed soon as you can. Make sure she can't get outside, cats in heat are quite determined to escape.

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it okay to spay a cat that's in heat?

Be careful if she's normally an indoor kitty too. Even the ones that stay inside will bolt out when they're in heat. It seems impossible just to keep a cat inside during that time. She will drive you bonkers with her yeowling so it's better just to get her fixed if you can before you end up with kittens!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sparkie

Is it okay to spay a cat that's in heat?

Be careful if she's normally an indoor kitty too. Even the ones that stay inside will bolt out when they're in heat. It seems impossible just to keep a cat inside during that time. She will drive you bonkers with her yeowling so it's better just to get her fixed if you can before you end up with kittens!
Its okay to spay a cat in heat, the only draw back is its a little more expensive because its a little more bloodier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Folks

Thanks for all that. It's been two days since I originally wrote. Maggie is not howling or tormenting us with noises (yet!) which is good! She trills a lot and positions herself with her belly near the floor and bum in air a bit more though, usually late at night for a hour or so. I have also discovered very musky pee on the edge of MY bed which I suspect is from her, it wasn't done on a vertical surface which I understand they do when in heat but it certainly smells different to normal! I am seeing if they are big enough to be spayed, given that spaying can take a few weeks to "kick in", is it likely she will still be tormented after it has been done or will she just revert to pre heat cat?

Thanks!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my cases, I never had a cat revert back to heat symtoms after I've had them spay/neutered even one that was in heat when I had her done. Thats my experience with it I don't know if anyone else had problems with that, but I know I didn't. Good luck.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the beginning. I would spay unless you like the idea of staying up at all hours of the night listening to agonizing and strange howls and cat calls

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mn086

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi folks

Well Maggie seems to have calmed in the last two days, she never did the howling thing though so I suppose we are lucky! We brought the two of them to the vet last night to see if they were big enough to be spayed and they are, so in they go on Monday!