Male Stray just came "home" with a battle wound

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
he just showed up for food, hadn't actually laid my eyes on him in two days - he's probably been here to eat - but ...

I rushed to pet him, and noticed something different - I'd say!! he has a fresh scratch from the top of his ear down to the middle of his cheek, like it just happened.

I'm crazy, cause I don't know what is best to do for him. I was able to get him into the garage (which is now all smelly with his markings). Gave him food, water, and a makeshift litter tray.

He's not acting like he's in pain - yet - he talking, asking me to let him out. The fresh blood is dripping a little.

I'm tempted to try and clean the blood from the fur around the wound, which has begun to congeal in his face fur.

But - what do you think - just let him clean it up? Should I keep him in the garage?

No $$ for vets - I do have a contact I can call about getting medical attention - but that's after 4:30 p.m., and it's only 1:40 p.m. right now,
HELP, please.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
With stray, you mean homeless? And used to it?

If the wound isnt really serious, he should manage it himself.

The homeless do, in any case the surviving ones. This is why they do survive.

And he does have a shelter and food and water. Unlike most others who must copy without. (some dying off, of course...).

How much you do, depends of course also on if he lets you handle him.

If yes, you can try to wash it with lukewarm water with some salt in. (common kitchen salt. cook up and let it be lukewarm before using).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

With stray, you mean homeless? And used to it?

If the wound isnt really serious, he should manage it himself.

The homeless do, in any case the surviving ones. This is why they do survive.

And he does have a shelter and food and water. Unlike most others who must copy without. (some dying off, of course...).

How much you do, depends of course also on if he lets you handle him.

If yes, you can try to wash it with lukewarm water with some salt in. (common kitchen salt. cook up and let it be lukewarm before using).
Yes, he's homeless, I'm pretty sure. I've been feeding, brushing, providing a "hotel bed" for him for about 8 months. He is not an aggressive cat, and I think if I can get him neutered he won't get into as much trouble (?).

okay - about the salt - I should be careful NOT to get it into the wound, right? ugh

I'm sure this is a scratch and not a bite because of the way it looks - if I thought it was a bite, I'd find a credit card and take him for medical attention for sure.

Thanks for your reassurance, and practical information, and, mostly, for helping me by "talking me down from the "panic tree".

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had something like that happen with Orange Cat. He came home with damage to one eye. a hole in his head, and a lot of blood from under his eye. It took a couple of days, but he did let me gently wipe under his eye where the flap of skin was hanging. As he was feral, I didn't mess with it too much. It looked pretty clean, and it looked like the other guy got OC's head in his mouth and bit really hard. He has healed really well. He has lost most of the vision in the one eye, and I did contact the local animal control group and the and an opening for a cat neuter, so I got him in last week. I kept him in the house for 4 days then let him out. He stayed around for the day, in fact, kept trying to walk back into the house. Then he left for almost 2 days, and I thought he was gone for good. Well, he is back again, and seems much happier. He is still spraying, (in fact, he sprayed me yesterday), but it doesn't smell like a male any more...yeah. I also got his shots and all, and it only cost me 50 dollars.
, so now his one of the girls
I have fallen so in love with him tho, and my other feral girls have decided that he can stay now.

Mary

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lostmary

I had something like that happen with Orange Cat. He came home with damage to one eye. a hole in his head, and a lot of blood from under his eye. It took a couple of days, but he did let me gently wipe under his eye where the flap of skin was hanging. As he was feral, I didn't mess with it too much. It looked pretty clean, and it looked like the other guy got OC's head in his mouth and bit really hard. He has healed really well. He has lost most of the vision in the one eye, and I did contact the local animal control group and the and an opening for a cat neuter, so I got him in last week. I kept him in the house for 4 days then let him out. He stayed around for the day, in fact, kept trying to walk back into the house. Then he left for almost 2 days, and I thought he was gone for good. Well, he is back again, and seems much happier. He is still spraying, (in fact, he sprayed me yesterday), but it doesn't smell like a male any more...yeah. I also got his shots and all, and it only cost me 50 dollars.
, so now his one of the girls
I have fallen so in love with him tho, and my other feral girls have decided that he can stay now.

Mary
Did he still have an "active" wound, or was it pretty much healed when you took him in?
I'm not sure what the Animal Samaritans would say if I brought in a cat to be neutered and he was still healing - would they possibly fix his wound, too, I wonder? hmmmm??

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

okay - about the salt - I should be careful NOT to get it into the wound, right? ugh
Actually, you do pour freely the salt-water over the wound. It doesnt hurts, it is like body-fluids.
Only a little salt into the water. Dosage about a tea-spoon into a liter of water.
(common kitchen salt. cook up with the water - and let it be lukewarm before using).
Sorry I wasnt entirely clear.

They use it also at the hospitals, but with a advanced name on it...

ps. I do agree he should have it more easy when neutered: not so many severe fights.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy, what a zoo. I was speaking to someone that frequents the clinic - and she said it was "calm" today.

I kept Gray in the garage last night, and once I decided that I would take him in today, I took his food and water away.

He had cleaned up his wound pretty good last night, so I was feeling better about it. He was hungry, and thirsty - so, I felt good about that, too.

He was active last night in the garage - I guess he decided that the place needed some re-arranging.

This morning the wound looked like it was beginning to ooze when I saw it. I was glad I was taking him to get neutered, and also, that they probably would take care of the wound today, too.

This morning I put him into the trap - he was complaining, and decided to re-arrange the cardboard/newspaper floor that we put into the trap.

By the time we got to the Animal Samaritans he had settled down and was quiet.

I met a new friend, a fellow cat-trapper ("Arlene"), there - and, because I labeled Gray as a "Stray" when I filled out the paperwork; the gal at the desk began to give me an attitude - "they take only 'Ferals' " (?), "Arlene" went to bat for me.

I think with Strays you have to make an appointment, and pay $60 - with Ferals, no appointment, no payment. ??? I'll figure out the rules - and the loopholes with newly found friends' help!

I was willing to pay, but the gal at the desk wasn't happy with me, she told me next time only Ferals - a mean, scrappy cat, no one can handle wild cat - was all that they accepted !!??

When I offered to pay, she refused to let me pay ??? Maybe she was doing me a "favor" but it didn't feel like it.

The information that I received from Desk Soldier was not the information that I had earlier received in my previous contact with the clinic.

Anyway - I spoke to the Technician - with the help of my new friend who knew the ropes - and told them about Gray's wound - she said they'd take a look at it, and see what they could do.

I'm to pick him up at 2 p.m. today.

Arlene had two traps she loaned me to capture the Pregnant Mommy and 2 kittens that I've been feeding - NOW, these 3 ARE "Feral"!

Arlene told me, from now on, all the cats are FERALS, don't tell them you can pet them, etc. I should use my $$ for food for the cats, that the programs cover the surgery for Ferals. She said not to take any "guff" from the people at the desk - find Rhonda when I need something.

I have to keep reminding myself to b-r-e-a-t-h-e.

I don't know if my heart can take all this, so, I guess - I'll just have to take these things one moment at a time.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!!! Glad you found a trapping buddy and mentor to show you the ropes! She sounds like a nice lady!!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Actually, you do pour freely the salt-water over the wound. It doesnt hurts, it is like body-fluids.
Only a little salt into the water. Dosage about a tea-spoon into a liter of water.
(common kitchen salt. cook up with the water - and let it be lukewarm before using).
Sorry I wasnt entirely clear.

They use it also at the hospitals, but with a advanced name on it...

ps. I do agree he should have it more easy when neutered: not so many severe fights.
I'm putting your recipe in my "holistic remedy" book - thank you so much!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Yay!!! Glad you found a trapping buddy and mentor to show you the ropes! She sounds like a nice lady!!
There are no words that I could verbalize how grateful I am to have found her - besides thecatsite's helpful contribution - having an "on hands" person just makes me (us) more efficient in this Effort.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome! I say if the resources are out there, use them! I hope Gray's boo-boo heals up soon

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you found someone that know how to help you. for Gray I hope all is well for him. I tried to take my semi-feral girl for a free sapy.
I ended up paying because I opened my mouth and said I could pet her.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I am so glad you found someone that know how to help you. for Gray I hope all is well for him. I tried to take my semi-feral girl for a free sapy.
I ended up paying because I opened my mouth and said I could pet her.
Yep. I guess that's were experience with the system pays. Just a matter of one word. If a cat is homeless, it should be considered as a Feral, no matter. The whole idea is to get the homeless cat population down as much as possible even thought it could be considered impossible, but with each neuter, each spay will mean a lot less homeless cats. Someone/somewhere calculated the possible population number of cats that could result with just one female cat, the number is staggering - so, potato, potatoe.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
He's home, in his trap in the garage.

I covered him with blankets in hopes of it settling him down.

The tech said that with all the activity, dogs, cats, people, other sounds, that he began to work himself up. He was beginning to get overheated so she gave him something to calm him down, and put a couple of ice packs in the trap.

She said he was laying on them, and doing better.

She gave him good marks for behavior.

The wound: She said it was beginning to heal already, but they cleaned it out, and gave him a shot of antibiotic that is to last for 24 hours. So tomorrow I'm to put drops in his food, or if he lets me, by mouth - (nah - not all that sure he won't scratch me?). I'm to give him this 2 x's /day.

So, along with the verbal instructions, I received written instructions.
Feeding & Water:
Water at 1/2 hour Intervals:
Cat & Small Dogs - After 6PM Only
Cats: 1-2 teaspoons -- Here's where I ask, HUH? I think they mean Food, right?, and I can start giving him water -in any amount - after 6 pm in 1/2 intervals???? help me here ????
THEN:
"for pets Under ! Years of age (Gray, about 10 months +/-), wait until 6 pm.

Everything else, as far as letting him outside, is vague.
I'm thinking about trying to keep him in the garage as long as possible for his face wound to heal before he goes out and gets in another fight ??
If the truth were known, I'd love to bring him inside, but can't - meanwhile, I will try to protect him as much as possible.
Well, I want to go check on him, see if he's possibly settled down.

I'm open to your genius - if you've got thoughts about the time frame for feeding, the antibiotics, or ?.... my listening ears are ready to listen.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Nevermind - I called before they closed (telephoning them is another story) to ask about the food and water in the instructions ... do we have a "goofy" smilie? ... She told me to disregard the feeding instructions - those instructions were on an "old" form, for cats - they don't get morphine, so I can feed and water him right now!

The poor little guy - he was hungry, he was thirsty - and, HE WANTS OUT OF THAT CAGE!

After he ate a little, I'm going to wait and feed him another small amount again in about an hour or so - I'm trying to use my "common sense" here - I just gave him a small amount - just to be on the safe side, and will feed him at intervals before I go to bed. UNLESS SOMEONE HERE SUGGESTS SOMETHING ELSE ?

shhhshshhshs - gave me the OLD instructions - ugh! I know they are probably under paid, and over worked - but !!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, Saturday - 24 hours after surgery - and medical attention for the new wound - Gray is ready to leave the garage.

Now he's trying to see if he can get out through the roof.

Thing is - I still have antibiotics to give him.

The wound looks great today, and his neutering job looks good.

He is trying to clean himself often - maybe the inside sutures are healing and causing some sort of troublesome feeling for him?

I'm pleased with his appetite - and the medication is easily injested.

He's taken to the litter pan amazingly easy. But then, what do I know.

He's sleeping in the cat carrier, and seems to be back to his "old self" - with a lot of talking. He loves the brushing.

They did a wonderful job with clipping his ear - it was the one where he had already had pieces taken out with previous fighting.

This is the Kick - I find it hard to let him go - out into the cruel world - you see I'm a firm believer in keeping cats safely indoors - and letting him out with his wound not entirely healed goes against every emotion that I feel.

It may be that there is only one cat in the neighborhood that's giving him trouble - I feel like the longer I wait, the less likely he'll be to go looking for trouble. I know he probably still has hormones in his body - hmm, will have to research and see what the average time it is for the hormones to be gone.

I feel like I need to wait another day and get at least two more doses of antibiotics in him - other than that I need someone to help me, tell me to let him go, talk me down, if you will. ugh

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I will post the "wound" pic too.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is absolutely gorgeous! Is there any way he can live in your garage? If so, I'd try that. Its going to take awhile for all his testosterone to dissipate, so do try keeping him inside and away from his "enemy" as long as possible. If the other cat isn't neutered, is there a way for you to do that?

He's probably just all worked up over all the adventures he's had lately - the fight, then being trapped, neutered, doctored, how much can a guy take at once? I bet he really calms down over the next few days. Its already a good sign that he lets you give him his medicine.

In any case, good for you for all this work. He is a gorgeous cat and I don't think it will be hard to find him a home if that's what you decide to do.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Attachment 13513

Attachment 13512The deepest puncture is right under his ear, and then is scratched downward towards his "cheek".

The other pic is the nice job they did clipping his ear - they picked the ear with the two battle holes.

He's still in the garage, and I'm planning on keeping him there so he can help the mommy and kitten while they're recovering, and that means that I can continue his antibiotics on a regular schedule.

(I managed to trap the mommy and only one kitten last night. The kitten was trapped first, and put into the garage - mommy was a little smarter, and didn't get her into the garage until about 1 a.m. - I heard the kitten crying, so went outside and brought the cage into the garage. I put the cages end to end so kitten would stop crying with mommy there.

Had problems at the clinic with the bringing in of 2 ferals this morning - didn't know the POLICY, one feral per person. They decided to keep the kitten - short story in another thread. ... will be picking up at 2 pm.)