Imagine finding this in your back yard!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Friends were walking around their property (in Australia) and discovered this in an old unused tool shed:

Attachment 13507

Can you imagine finding that?!?!?! They have no idea what it ate to make such a big lump, but whatever it was seemed to not agree with the snake - it died, and there's apparently a very bad smell coming from it.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Friends were walking around their property (in Australia) and discovered this in an old unused tool shed:

Attachment 13507

Can you imagine finding that?!?!?! They have no idea what it ate to make such a big lump, but whatever it was seemed to not agree with the snake - it died, and there's apparently a very bad smell coming from it.
You may not want to know

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look like some sort of python. Too bad it died. And yes, dead snakes (and regurtated meals) have a very strong and disgusting smell!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ack!
I really, really don't want to know what that snake ate!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looking at the chemicals surrounding it, I bet it ate something that had been poisoned. Poor thing! Snakes give me big willies, but I do appreciate their role in nature.

Our neighbor found this in his yard one evening, and came by to ask if DH could help him relocate it. It's an endangered species timber rattlesnake.

It was very cute, and they did corral it into a garbage can to move it down the road a bit.

I took the picture. I had a zoom lense.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm guessing it's a carpet python. They're pretty common in that part of Australia.

Originally Posted by Momofmany

Looking at the chemicals surrounding it, I bet it ate something that had been poisoned. Poor thing! Snakes give me big willies, but I do appreciate their role in nature.
It's possible, but if so, it wasn't intentional! My friends have a baby and dogs, so they wouldn't risk doing anything that would potentially harm them. Who knows what the previous owner had and did down there though.

They're keeping the dogs closer to them, that's for sure (and once the baby can walk, she'll be closely supervised!).

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG for some reason, thinking of a snake's digestive system and its bone structure makes me feel soo grossed out!! I can't understand it. the fact that they only have a backbone creeps me out!! Haha...A dead snake is even worse..I am honestly shivering at the thought lol. I do feel sorry for the poor snake tho...

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101

I hope it didn't eat someone's dog or cat. But it actually appears it might have!
Based on the size of the snake and the lump it would have or have been a fairly small cat/dog. A rabbit or large rodent is more likely.

Originally Posted by sarahp

I'm guessing it's a carpet python. They're pretty common in that part of Australia.
I was thinking carpet python too based on the pattern.

Originally Posted by ut0pia

OMG for some reason, thinking of a snake's digestive system and its bone structure makes me feel soo grossed out!! I can't understand it. the fact that they only have a backbone creeps me out!! Haha...A dead snake is even worse..I am honestly shivering at the thought lol. I do feel sorry for the poor snake tho...
Hey, they have ribs and skulls too!
What's really interesting/creepy is their jaw structure and how it works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Based on the size of the snake and the lump it would have or have been a fairly small cat/dog. A rabbit or large rodent is more likely.
Given where they are, I would say it's possibly a koala - they're on the ground more at the moment looking for water, and they're pretty slow.