Prayers and Vibes needed for stripey please

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Long story short, Stripey was a little guy I fed on the street, he was sick, I brought him to the Vet he had bad teeth and a mass on his gums. They removed the mass and the teeth, the mass was not cancerous but it turns out he is FIV positive, plus he was anemic. I have to keep him in a spare bedroom because my other cats are FIV negative, but at least he's out of the cold. I was giving him antibiotics and he did gain some wieght, I brought him back to the Vet last night but it seems that his gums are all still inflamed, and his anemia got a little worse. The Vet said it is probably due to the FIV. I have to bring him back in a month to see if the anemia is worse.
Is there any kind of food or supplement that could help the anemia? For a street cat he is the sweetest most gentlest little guy and so loving. Please keep him in your Prayers. Thanks.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

I have to bring him back in a month to see if the anemia is worse.
Is there any kind of food or supplement that could help the anemia? For a street cat he is the sweetest most gentlest little guy and so loving. Please keep him in your Prayers. Thanks.
I'm not sure there is any supplements for anemic kitties. Most of what I've read says the cause of the anemia needs to be treated, and lists blood transfusions as a treatment for anemia.

I would call your vet and ask him if there's a food or supplement that could help, he would be the best one to answer that question.

I will definately keep him in my thoughts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I'm not sure there is any supplements for anemic kitties. Most of what I've read says the cause of the anemia needs to be treated, and lists blood transfusions as a treatment for anemia.

I would call your vet and ask him if there's a food or supplement that could help, he would be the best one to answer that question.

I will definately keep him in my thoughts
Thank you so much. I did ask the Vet,she said no there really isn't anything, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

...Is there any kind of food or supplement that could help the anemia?...
Hi again aswient!
I've replied in other threads about Stripey, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before...but, perhaps not.

The very best info and support for managing chronic feline conditions (IMO) is to be found in the specialized online groups set up for each of these conditions. In these groups are people who have been managing their cats' health condition - for years. Often, I find that these people are more familiar with associated problems and are more knowledgeable than their Vets - which makes sense...these people "specialize" while their Vets generalize.

There are two such groups for FIV+ cats.....why not at least join up and decide for yourself if the members there might be able to help....then, you could post your question. Take the group for a "test drive" so-to-speak. Here they are:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/F...ec=group&slk=2

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/F...ec=group&slk=3

Frankly, I'm really concerned with waiting a month 'to see if the anemia is worse'. From personal experience with an anemic cat and, from everything I have read, anemia isn't something for a wait-and-see approach - it MUST be aggressively treated.

Here's a very comprehensive reference on anemia - while it is written in the context of 'kidney failure cats', the core info is generic for all cats:
http://www.felinecrf.org/anaemia.htm

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had anemic cats before and waiting a month is to long.
Mine had blood transfusions to save them.
Stripe had procrit shots but she had crf with the anemia.
I am tryin to remember what Meeko and Coco got when they had anemia.
I would try those groups mentioned above.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Bella713, utOpia, kittymonsters, Aileen06

Thank you so much for your Prayers and well wishes, I can't tell you how much it means to me.

BLAISE

Thank you. You are right you did send me that information, I must be more upset about Stripey then I thought. I just joined them. I couldn't find my other post to get the links so thank you for sending it to me again.

mews2much

Thank you for your information and I agree with you and BLAISE, a month is too long to wait, I will bring him back again and talk to them about a transfusion.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ConsumerKitty

Many vibes and prayers for Stripey. Bless you for doing all you can to take care of him.
Thank you. He is well worth it and deserving of it.

luv furbabies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is probably old school and may not help at all but when I was a kid, (back in the day) Our cat had leukemia and we were advised to slightly brown LIVER and cut it up for him to eat. It helped Puffer, it might work with your baby, if not, its a good treat!! Check it out??

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Luv Furbabies

This is probably old school and may not help at all but when I was a kid, (back in the day) Our cat had leukemia and we were advised to slightly brown LIVER and cut it up for him to eat. It helped Puffer, it might work with your baby, if not, its a good treat!! Check it out??
Thank you so much for that. Now that you said that I remember they use to say that years ago too. It is definitely worh a try. I personally believe in a lot of the old school remedies. Thanks you so much.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Lots of prayers and good health vibes for Stripey. Hope he feels better soon

Thank you so much for all the well wishes. It means a lot to me.

luv furbabies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much for that. Now that you said that I remember they use to say that years ago too. It is definitely worh a try. I personally believe in a lot of the old school remedies. Thanks you so much.
You welcome, Good Luck!!!