Elderly cat's owner died-needs new home

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have agreed to help rehome a 16 yr. old white female kitty. Her owner just died suddenly last week, and no one in the family wants her.

If there is anyone in the Fresno area who would be willing to provide this kitty a good home, please PM me.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm afraid I'm halfway across the country - I wish you luck in finding her a home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm afraid I'm halfway across the country - I wish you luck in finding her a home.
Too bad cuz she's pure white too!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me ask my dad.
They have been looking for a pure white cat.
The age might scare them off though.
I will see if anyone else would want her.
I would but my husbnad would have a fit.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Let me ask my dad.
They have been looking for a pure white cat.
The age might scare them off though.
I will see if anyone else would want her.
I would but my husbnad would have a fit.
I live in Southern California, hours away. And I'm pretty sure my SO would say no as well.

For kitty to be rehomed!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers and vibes that the white kitty finds a good home
Bless you for giving her sanctuary - poor thing, she must feel so lost with her owner over RB Bridge

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm bumping this, hoping someone comes through!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm leaving in a few minutes to pick up this poor orphaned kitty. I'll check in once I have her home. I'm not terribly optimistic that she will adjust and that my spoiled only kitty will tolerate her, but I'll keep you informed. Wish me luck!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm home with Ashley. She was in her carrier when I picked her up. She was inside my house in her carrier when my Dusty wanted in. Dusty went over to her, but Ashley started growling. Poor thing is so scared. She didn't make a peep on the way home in the car.

I have her set up in our spare bedroom upstairs with her blanket and towel on the floor, clean litter box, food and water. She was growling and hissing at me, and tried to take a swipe at my hand, so now is not the time to push a friendship. I'll let her alone for a few hours. Dusty is back outside.

They found this kitty as an orphan when she was very tiny, and bottle fed her until she was weaned. She was John's cat, and he obviously loved her very much. He lived alone, though he was visited by his children and grandchildren. John was 63, and a very large man. He died in his sleep a week ago.

Please pray that this kitty will find a good forever home, or that she will learn to adjust to our house.

Leslie

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Give her time.
My just about 17 year old cat greats along great with my other cats.
I think she will learn to live with your other cat.
But will she learn to live with me? I just went upstairs to check on her, and she was laying on the airbed up there, not on her blanket. I brought her a little piece of chicken treat, but I couldn't get her to eat it out of my hand. She is still growling and hissing at me, and will bite or claw if given a chance.

How long do you think it might take for her to settle down and become more trusting? I know the poor old lady has had her world turned upside down, so I'm not blaming her. I just don't want her to be miserable. Any suggestions?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give her lots of time, love, & attention. Her entire world has been turned upside down - it will likely take her months to adjust.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It may take months, but she WILL come round. My semi feral that I rescued took 3 months to come out from under bed and stop hissing at me. at 4months he would stay out in the room with me, at 5 months he let me pet him OUTSIDE and at 6 months, he actively solicits petting AND allows me to pick him up. Also he comes when called now, and goes in and out of doors like a pro. This semi feral had an outdoor life, with a caretaker he loved who had petted him from kitten hood, and I was sure he'd NEVER trust me.

It just took him time to transfer his affection and trust to me. But he did.
Your cat will too, but it will take many months. Please do NOT despair that the cat will hate for life. She just needs to adjust to you. Keep feeding, bribing, bring toys, play with a toy wand/string. Catnip and your scented shirt next to food bowls. Go and read to her daily. Then leave her to emerge at her own pace...

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a relative pass away last year who had a cat that had lived with her practically all its life. My uncle took the cat in and it took 2-3 months for it to come out from under the bed in the room where he kept it!

I'd say the cat's about 12 years old and it eagerly comes up for lap time now. There are 2 other cats in the house - one about the same age and one much younger and it seems to tolerate them both.

I'm sure with your continued patience, love and encouragement, she'll be just fine