Chirping

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it normal that Squee chirps at Scratch? Sometimes when Scratch walks up to Squee, she'll chirp (like she does to me) as if she's saying "Oh! You startled me!" I always thought that cats don't communicate vocally, unless it is a kitten mewing for its mother.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww the thought of a cat chirping sounds so cute... I love chatty kitties

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had kittens that trill at each other when they run around and play. I think in that case it's a sound they make when they're happy and having a good time.

mikehong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
heh, that's a cute video.. Have you seen the translation for it?

Girlie chirps all the time. Often when she's just wandering around the condo like she's talking to herself. Once in a while I hear her and my girlfriend chirping back and forth to each other like they're having a conversation

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stan chirps to himself all the time. Bella will get an extra chripy purr when she's really happy

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Check out this video

OMG! That video was soooo adorable! I sent out the link to my "kitty friends"!
Maia definitely chirps as part of her vocabulary with me. She has an extensive vocal communication, from chirps to hisses, and everything in between!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Speck trills at Daisy a lot. He wants her to play and it almost sounds like he's begging her to play with him. And he clicks and clacks if he sees a ladybug on the ceiling.

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine chirp also but mostly when they see birds or bugs
My Missy used to wrap herself around my head at night and chirp, I learned to sleep through it until she lost her hearing then she chirped loud
Made my husband very happy

desertjewel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Is it normal that Squee chirps at Scratch? Sometimes when Scratch walks up to Squee, she'll chirp (like she does to me) as if she's saying "Oh! You startled me!" I always thought that cats don't communicate vocally, unless it is a kitten mewing for its mother.
Yeah, it's perfectly normal. Cats talk to their kitty buddies the same way they talk to their owners. Cats are a good bit different than dogs when it comes to their humans. Cats are more like, " you're my caretaker and my massager, but I can choose to let you pet me." while dogs are more dependent on their owners and are like " what can I do to serve you?"
Cats depend more on their kitty buddies, while dogs depend on their owners. I had a spayed torti cat named Duchess, who had a sister who had a litter of kittens. Well, even though the kittens weren't Duchess', she took over them like they were her own. Whenever Tiara wasn't watching the kittens, Duchess would be. It was really sweet. Also, my older sister has a cat named Junior who chirps to everyone and every cat we own! We also had this really tough looking feral tomcat that lived around our place for a while, who chirped as sqeaky as a mouse! He looked like he had definitely been through the wringer: he had scars, ticks, scratches, gashes, cuts, you name it, and huge jowls. But he meowed like a kitten. It was something to remember. (chuckling) the point I'm trying to make is, it's perfectly normal for your kitties to commune with eachother the way they commune to you.

Who can live without a purring lap warmer?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat chirps often. It is very sweet, means she happy. She also purrs louder than a freight train.
She is a noisy girl, but in a good way.

She will also start yelling meowing when she sees her meals being prepared. If you call her to come, she will talk back to you in answer. She announces her presence when coming into a room with her voice.