What the......?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is with all the new people posting about wanting to start up a breeding program?

Although I am still having great luck placing kittens, the current economic climate is not going to be kind to an unknown start-up newbie breeder.

I wonder if these people are for real, or just trolls trying to get a rise out of the breeders here.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my area, this year more & more people are getting into breeding (mostly dogs), to make a bit of extra $$$.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I'm beginning to wonder too....I would pass off one or two times, but think its someone or ones that may be trying to start a "fight" or see if see if we change our answers....

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering the same things.

Of course, I was watching the news this morning and thought to come here and suggest to them all that they sell chocolate instead! LOL There was a news story about how chocolate sales don't seem to be effected by the economic decline. I guess people still need to indulge some how.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been asked to learn how to breed by some good breeders once I know alot more.
I do not know if I will do that.
I also have got emails from breeders that just stated out trying to breed with Cleo for better lines.
She is fixed anyway and even if she wasnt the answer would be no.
This person has already bred her cats and all the kitten got sick and 2 died already.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they think there's money in breeding, they see the price of burebred kittens and just assume the breeders are sitting back making money not realising all the money that goes into breeding & kitten care.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is all for the $$$$... They are probably unemployed, and think that if they can just get a couple of cats, in six months they would have a few thousand $$$$... Some websites that sell "Designer cats" for up to $5-6,000, just help with this situation... I mean, they can just see the dollar sign and many thousands coming their way... Nice way to make a living - NOT!!! It makes me so MAD!!!

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
most people think breeding animals is easy money.. get a few intact animals, let them do their thing, and wait for babies so you can sell them for a few hundred to a few thousand each... its the mentality of wanting to make a quick buck with little to no effort.

I did come to ask about breeding, but mostly out of curiosity,.. I did sometimes wonder what the difference of ethics were regarding cat and dog breeding.. and I also asked to confirm my decision that I dont really want to breed. My friend was pressuring me abit about breeding Bastet, and I told her I'd do abit of research and think about it. I did as I promised, I did a little reasearch.. I thought on it, but not much.. as the cat is now spayed.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I think it is all for the $$$$... They are probably unemployed, and think that if they can just get a couple of cats, in six months they would have a few thousand $$$$... Some websites that sell "Designer cats" for up to $5-6,000, just help with this situation... I mean, they can just see the dollar sign and many thousands coming their way... Nice way to make a living - NOT!!! It makes me so MAD!!!
Are you just against breeders in general? There are many reputable breeders who do sell their kittens because they are worth it for a high price.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry Pami, but no "reputable" breeder (dogs or cats) breed outside of the written standard. That is the purpose of breeding purebred cats - to IMPROVE and make them closer to the standard.

If you don't, then you are just breeding to make money. Plain and simple. While some of these breeders may be better in testing, etc., they still should not be breeding cats that cannot be registered and shown in competition and be considered a "good breeder".

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Are you just against breeders in general? There are many reputable breeders who do sell their kittens because they are worth it for a high price.
Kittens are worth the high price because of the money that the breeder puts into genetic health tests and care.. even with the high price, a reputable breeder is lucky to break even on a litter.

A kitten from an irresponsible breeder is not worth the high price tag.. proper care and expense is not taken to assure healthy quality animals.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This thread has been edited to remove references to specific breeders as that is not allowed on TCS. Detrimental comments about a breeder can be considered slander and could cause legal issues for the site owner. Please refrain from "naming names".

Also, if you see a potential problem with a post, please report the post instead of posting to the thread. If you are not sure how to report a post, please see this thread:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185265

Thank you.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure how breeders are finding the economy but our shelter adoptions are way up from last year and we are getting back the spay/neuter certificates we give out with kittens too young to speuter (our vet will not speuter under 4 months). The adoption we did today was the same adoption number we did on the 27 March last year.

Like chocolate, cat and kitten adoptions seem to be weathering the economic climate just fine and our adoption prices are fairly high compared to some other places (average for our area but if you travel 45 mins or so you can get a cat much cheaper)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I am not sure how breeders are finding the economy but our shelter adoptions are way up from last year and we are getting back the spay/neuter certificates we give out with kittens too young to speuter (our vet will not speuter under 4 months). The adoption we did today was the same adoption number we did on the 27 March last year.

Like chocolate, cat and kitten adoptions seem to be weathering the economic climate just fine and our adoption prices are fairly high compared to some other places (average for our area but if you travel 45 mins or so you can get a cat much cheaper)
Eithne, that's great news. Maybe in the bad economy people need a pet that provides unconditional love and support to get them through the bumps and tough times.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe, we were surprised at the rate the cats have been adopted, much higher than the last three years. It was also enough that we could help out a local high volume kill shelter and take 40 animals from them (48 if you include the 8 kittens one gave birth to this week).

Even our special needs cats are being adopted, vet bills and all!

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
its great that rescue is getting more adopted!

I think with the economy, its not feasable for most to buy directly from a breeder.. it is MUCH cheaper to rescue a cat, expecially when you can adopt an animal that is fully vetted! The adoption fees are often well worth the cost of the vet care the cat has recieved!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat adoptions have dropped & owner surrenders have increased - send some adopters to southern MN Eithne!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably depends more where the shelters are located. Some states have been harder hit with the recession/depression then others.