I think Siddha's eyes are possessed!

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He had a squinty left eye which was a bit red and swollen about 2 and a half weeks ago... I took him to the vet who did a corneal stain and found no corneal damage - said it was most likely chlamydia. He gave me terramycin ointment to put on both of Siddha's eyes. I did that for a week and his eyes were looking very good after about 5 days. Well, I must have stopped too soon or he has gotten another infection because since Saturday, his right eye has been squinty and red. So, I started the terramycin again in both eyes. Sometimes, I look at his eyes and they seem okay, then later that evening or the next morning one or the other will look bad again. I don't know how much longer to keep doing the terramycin before I take him back to the vet. What else could it be??

Furthermore, I'm worried that he's going to develop a phobia of me because I have to hold him down to do the eye treatments twice a day. It would break my heart to make him hate me over this whole thing. I just want him to feel better and his eyes to get well.

Thanks for any input or thoughts on the matter.
Candace

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by firedancer722

He had a squinty left eye which was a bit red and swollen about 2 and a half weeks ago... I took him to the vet who did a corneal stain and found no corneal damage - said it was most likely chlamydia. He gave me terramycin ointment to put on both of Siddha's eyes. I did that for a week and his eyes were looking very good after about 5 days. Well, I must have stopped too soon or he has gotten another infection because since Saturday, his right eye has been squinty and red. So, I started the terramycin again in both eyes. Sometimes, I look at his eyes and they seem okay, then later that evening or the next morning one or the other will look bad again. I don't know how much longer to keep doing the terramycin before I take him back to the vet. What else could it be??

Furthermore, I'm worried that he's going to develop a phobia of me because I have to hold him down to do the eye treatments twice a day. It would break my heart to make him hate me over this whole thing. I just want him to feel better and his eyes to get well.

Thanks for any input or thoughts on the matter.
Candace
I think it could be herpes... I would put him on Lysine just in case... Good Luck!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, what type of litter are you using?

I have one that can't use clay litters because the dust really irritates his eyes leaving them red and slightly swollen... it also makes him cough no matter how little dust there is on the clay.
The vet couldn't find anything wrong, so I figured switching certainly couldn't hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Just a thought, what type of litter are you using?

I have one that can't use clay litters because the dust really irritates his eyes leaving them red and slightly swollen... it also makes him cough no matter how little dust there is on the clay.
The vet couldn't find anything wrong, so I figured switching certainly couldn't hurt.
Well, I have two boxes - one has all corn-based litter (Fresh Results) and the other box is a mixture of Tidy Cats scoop and Fresh Results. I'm still transitioning the 2nd box to all Fresh Results.

I decided to go ahead and take Siddha in to see the vet again on Saturday morning. He needs a FVRCP follow up vaccine anyways so I thought his eyes could get checked again too.