Let’s Talk About Coffee!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I was just making some coffee for the office. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t drink it here but somehow it has fallen to me to keep it up all the time anyway. I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like the coffee here since they use a brand of grounds I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like and the coffee maker has that familiar ‘coffee ickâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] buildup commercial coffee makers get that gives the coffee a burnt flavor.

I used to just stop by Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts every morning and get a coffee since the stuff at work was gross, but now in an effort to save money with the economy the way it is I have stopped buying coffee out at all. Now I bring coffee of my brand from home fixed and flavored exactly how I like it so I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have the desire to stop and spend. I use fresh ground beans and make a small pot (I have a 4 cup maker) and then sweeten with Splenda and flavor with either Vanilla or Crème Brule creamer. Then I carry it to work in a special vacuum sealing cup that keeps it nice and hot for hours.

Anyway since I was thinking on all of this I was wondering how do yâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]all like your coffee? Are you picky about brands or flavors, etc.? Do you make it at home or pick it up on the way? Or maybe you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t drink the stuff at all? Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m just curious, lets talk!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love plain old coffee with cream & sugar---no fancy brands, no flavors, just coffee. In fact, we took a day trip not too long ago and I HAD to have a cup of coffee for the drive home. There was a Starbucks counter at the Target store we were in so I got my coffee there. I think I took all of 3 sips from it and threw it away. It was absolutely awful, like it had been sitting there for a week or 2.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain 100% Columbian coffee for me - no flavour, no added flavoured creamers. I do however like cream and sugar in my coffee. I don't like Starbucks, nor do I like Tim Horton's. I love Van Houtte coffee that I make at work.

They supply us with cleaning packs that we just put in the basket and run one "brew" through which cleans the machine and the coffee pot to an immaculate gleaming stainless steel. The cleaning packs do a wonderful job.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I drink 8 O'Clock Colombian coffee from home.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

They supply us with cleaning packs that we just put in the basket and run one "brew" through which cleans the machine and the coffee pot to an immaculate gleaming stainless steel. The cleaning packs do a wonderful job.
I use these in my coffee maker but they don't use them at work. One time I brought some from home and cleaned the pot and everybody complained the coffee tasted funny!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

I drink 8 O'Clock Colombian coffee from home.

I use these in my coffee maker but they don't use them at work. One time I brought some from home and cleaned the pot and everybody complained the coffee tasted funny!
I think they are full of it!
I bet if they didn't see you do it, they wouldn't have even noticed anything. I do however, run an extra pot through after the cleaner to ensure everything is cleaned out.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love coffee. I usually drink mine with just a little cream.

I'm not really picky I will drink pretty much any coffee...but I prefer the small local roasters in my town and my favorite is Bear Mountian coffee...not only are they local they make the smoothest cup of coffee I have ever had!! And they are strong but not strong like starbucks and they don't have a bitter taste at all.
Just a divine cup of coffee and they aren't expensive!! So I buy it by the pound and then just make my coffee at home.

Like once a week I will buy coffee out...usually on a day that I am working 12 hours and then its Dunkin Doughnuts French Vanilla.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty picky about my coffee. I only make one cup when I wake up and I exactly measure out the coffee and the water. I do not like flavoured coffees at all.
I enjoy a darker roast and usually have beans from Sumatra. I also only use half & half and make sure I never run out!

The breadstore that I work at we have 1 decaf and 2 other coffee's available for sale-not flavoured again just beans from other countries. We sell the beans from the roaster-Alterra which is based out of Milwaukee,WI. We don't keep a large inventory on hand as to always have fresh beans on hand. If I want to drink some I just pour myself a small cup!

When I did office work-I never drank the stuff that passed for coffee-i twas always too weak. I would stop at (now my current employer) or I had my French press in my desk and would make some for myself and a fellow co-worker who enjoyed better tasting coffee!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH is a coffee snob! It all has to be freshly ground and it has to be dark roasted. I load mine up (ok, 2tbl) with non-dairy flavored creamer, and some extra water.
My fave creamer right now is Cinnamon Bun...mmmmmmmm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I think they are full of it!
I bet if they didn't see you do it, they wouldn't have even noticed anything. I do however, run an extra pot through after the cleaner to ensure everything is cleaned out.
They didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t see me do it, and I ran the extra water through to clean it out. I tasted the coffee after I did it and it was much better. I guess they are just so used to having that icky coffee buildup taste that when it was cleaned out it tasted strange to them. Oh well.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CruiserMaiden

They didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t see me do it, and I ran the extra water through to clean it out. I tasted the coffee after I did it and it was much better. I guess they are just so used to having that icky coffee buildup taste that when it was cleaned out it tasted strange to them. Oh well.
That's probably it - they forgot what real good coffee tasted like and thought because it tasted good that it was funny tasting.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not brand loyal, but I do want a good quality dark roast, brewed fairly strong. Rob is the coffee maker at home, and he plays a little spicing it. I brew in the office and usually add a little cinnamon and a little nutmeg. I like it with cream and brown sugar. But if the dairy product offered is not at least 10% MF, I'm not interested, and will happily have it black instead. They are two completely different beverages, and I like them both.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've spoiled myself. There is a little startup company here called Greener Groundz, that buys organic, free-trade coffee and roasts it's locally. I have at least one bag of everything they make

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually don't care about the brand or anything, but I prefer a weak brew, whereas my husband prefers a REALLY strong brew. If I make the coffee, I just put non-dairy creamer and sugar (I hate the taste of milk in coffee) in it. If I go to Starbucks or a coffee shop, I get a vanilla latte.

They don't have them here anymore, but when they did I preferred Caribou Coffee. They had a flavor of coffee (can't remember what it was called) that we always had at our house. It was really expensive, like $17 per pound. It was SOOO good, though! I also loved their Campfire Mocha, and I got it all the time. It was mocha with tiny marshmallows, graham cracker bits, and chocolate sprinkles. YUM!! A big giant liquid s'more!

At a daycare I worked at for a few years, I was one of two people that opened. We always made coffee as soon as we got there. They had the fancy ones that were permanently hooked up to a water line, so you just had to put the coffee grounds into the basket and push a button. My coworker taught me to sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon on the coffee grounds before you brew the coffee. It actually tastes really good!! Then I just ad the creamer and sugar and usual.

An easy way to clean a coffee pot is to put some vinegar in the water and run it without coffee. Then run it two more times to get rid of the vinegar, and it will be clean.
No need for harsh chemicals or anything.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I pretty much like all coffee. I don't like any milk or sugar, just black. Why mess with it, it already tastes perfect the way its ment to. I am not a big fan of flavored coffee, sometimes they are good but only evert once and a while. I really like the coffee from Trader Joes. Usually we buy th edark sumatran but we do mix it up every once and a while.

I would love the opportunity to try this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Kopi Luwak is the most expensive coffee in the world. It ranges from $120 and $600 a pound. The way it is made kind of grosses me out but I think I could get over that. It has to go through the digestive track of a monkey before it is processed to be coffee. I bet its good though.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love coffee - GOOD coffee. Been drinking it since I was a teen.

I don't much like the Starbucks brewed IN the stores- that does taste burned. But when you buy the beans and make it at home, it's much better.

I like strong, rich, smooth coffee. Currently I have Starbucks Gold Coast Blend in my fridge and the House Blend Decaf. But I am not wedded to SB as a brand. There is a roaster in West Michigan called Magnum and from time to time I will order their Jamaican Blue Mountain Blend. That's lovely.

I also take my coffee with milk and splenda... sometimes with a shake of cocoa and cinnamon.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a coffeholic!!! I am lucky enough to go to Brasil every year, and bringing back a buck at time... I ususally bring enough for the year - a full luggage - 24lbs or so!!! The coffee in there is amazing - much stronger than the one here, but not a bitter as French. I love it