British blue hair-tip silvering with age

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there

This is my first time with a british-blue cat. With your experience and knowledge of this bred, may i ask, is it typical that a british blue's hair is silver-tipped?

she was a lot darker grey (blue) when she came to us at 12weeks old. now at 24weeks old, we noticed the change in her color.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue British SH's should remain blue - they don't get silver tipping (like a Russian Blue or Korat). They DO get a little lighter blue in color....that's normal and desirable. So maybe you are confusing the lighter blue shade with silver tipping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi goldenkitty45, upon ur confirmation tat british blue do take on a lighter shade when they grow up, i just brushed kimi down in order to get hold of her hair... without having to pluck them.

each strand of hair is very light grey, with the blue (dark grey) only at the tip. the thing is, a big large ratio of kimi's hair remain light grey from base to the tip; or light grey at base, blue, then light grey again at tip. these make her look like a greying-old-woman

anyway, its juz curiosity at work. and im just new to british blue

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You might want to see if there is a British SH yahoo group you can join and ask questions too.
thks for lead. i'll stop checking after tis post. kimi is not goin to show, she dun need to be tat 'excatly british blue'

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is still a kitten, don't panic just yet - the kitten coat changes in texture and colour as the cat matures, it can darken or lighten as the adult coat is coming in, and unevenness in colour now may well grow out as she matures. Cats usually start to get their adult coat from around 6 months for a fast maturing breed - I would expect BSH to be a bit later than that as they are a solid bodied breed - but do check on a breed specific website if you can find one, or call her breeder to ask

Edit to add: My Sonic is a blue Oriental Shorthair and at 5 months old had ghost spots, some silver tipping, and uneven coat colour - by the time he was 8 months he had one of the best coats I have ever seen on a blue OSH, both in terms of colour and texture (and he still does at over 2 years old!)

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thx for the clues, epona

...guess tat means kimi will get to enjoy her fancy-changing-'wardrobe' till she matures n become stuck with one-coat for the rest of her life

blue OSH is very attractive cat, sonic muz be goegeous