Just mated 8 days ago...

mum2many

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But normally my siamese lady is in heat for almost 2 weeks, howling around the house. She's over 2 yrs old now, and mated for first time on Feb 2&3. Since she's no longer with the stud (another siamese of mine), she hasnt been in heat & has been following me around the house and normally she's very aloof. I know it's too soon to tell, but I'm trying to figure out her change in behaviour. Stud is not spraying right now either.
This is first time (and likely last) that I've tried to breed.
Her behaviour is odd, even my husband has noticed it. She wants to make sure I'm in her sight or beside her at all times, but she doesnt want to be pet.
Any insight?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around 3 weeks after they've mated is the best time to tell if they are pregnant. Her nipples will become bigger, pinker and the fur will probably part from the around her nipples.

At about 4 weeks old her belly will probably get rounder.

shambles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mum2many

Since she's no longer with the stud (another siamese of mine), she hasnt been in heat & has been following me around the house and normally she's very aloof.
Why did you breed from a cat that is aloof?

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Shambles -- There are many reasons to breed a cat that does not have ideal temperament--especially as temperament is not necessarily based on genetics. Socialization plays a big role. Also, Intact girls are subject to their hormones. Some of my girls are completely different cats depending on if they are pregnant, cycling, or free from both conditions

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree - some of my females had a little "attitude" when breeding - none of their kittens had it, they were sweet kittens. I don't really buy the temperment being passed on - maybe a little, but not that much.

shambles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Shambles -- There are many reasons to breed a cat that does not have ideal temperament--especially as temperament is not necessarily based on genetics. Socialization plays a big role. Also, Intact girls are subject to their hormones. Some of my girls are completely different cats depending on if they are pregnant, cycling, or free from both conditions
Thank you for explaining that. It doesn't make sense to me though, you say that temperment is not genetic yet all of these breeds are supposed to meet the standard for personality as well as looks. Is this not correct? If it does not have a genetic basis then why do the vast majority of Siamese act the same?
I am not saying you are wrong, or disagreeing with you, I just do not see how this works if it is not genetic!

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unless you've met the vast majority of Meezers, you can't say they all act the same
I can't speak for that breed, since I don't have much personal experience with them.

I can speak for the breeds I know; Maus and Vans. And in both breeds, personalities and temperaments vary. Sure, they are similarities across the breed. I've never met a Mau who can pass up a meal. I've also never met a Van who doesn't enjoy drowing various objects in their waterbowl.

I'm not saying temperament lacks a genetic basis. It's just that not everything is based on genetics. The experiences a cat has as a kitten will determine how a cat handles different situations as an adult. THAT is socialization, and it can mean the difference between a fearful or a confident cat.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel kind of like that personality of each breed is a bunch of BS especially for cats, excepts for maybe bengals and savannahs who do have different personalities. Just after observing my friends cats, one of them had a siamese, one persian, and others i've met....and they all acted like normal cats to me! Well I know most people will say im wrong, and maybe I am, it probably requires some special observation to see the difference in personality of a specific breed...just I haven't been able to see it!

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you might want to go to a cat show at some point and spend some time watching many different breeds being judged. Even in that small amount of time, you will be able to see massive differences between personalities.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Bengals temperament and personality has everything to do with genetics. I have eliminated complete lines of gorgeous cats, because they had attitude and they stamped that "tude" on their offspring, in spite of our best efforts to socialize them to be like our other lines.

I can't speak for other breeds, but I definitely agree that there are huge differences in personality between breeds. One visit to a cat show will confirm that.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a meezer lover and I just have to say I've only met 2 nasty-tempered meezers in over 40 years so I don't buy into the "branding" of temperaments that some folks seem to think is true. I'm not a breeder but I firmly believe that socialization/human interaction/handling when the kittens are young play a more important role in temperaments than genetics.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'm a meezer lover and I just have to say I've only met 2 nasty-tempered meezers in over 40 years so I don't buy into the "branding" of temperaments that some folks seem to think is true. I'm not a breeder but I firmly believe that socialization/human interaction/handling when the kittens are young play a more important role in temperaments than genetics.
You do have to keep in mind that the siamese is a long established breed. Newer breeds need to have the "grumpy genes" removed. Once that happens the gene pool becomes saturated with cats that have a predictable temperament.
So genetics do in fact play a big role.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

You do have to keep in mind that the siamese is a long established breed. Newer breeds need to have the "grumpy genes" removed. Once that happens the gene pool becomes saturated with cats that have a predictable temperament.
So genetics do in fact play a big role.
"grumpy genes" - I love it! I'm sure as a breeder you know more about this than I do, I was merely commenting on how I don't buy into meezers being nasty personality cats that the "general public" seem to think they are, like my ignorant neighbour that told her kids that Siamese cats would destroy your house.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Siamese cats would destroy your house.
Given the opportunity a small group of siamese kittens will make a valiant effort at destroying your house. Add in a bengal kitten or two and an Aby and your house will be totally re-decorated by the time you get home from work.

J/K (sort-of)

We have 4 ten week old's in the house right now and they are testing their limits, and our patience.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think their is a distinct difference in personalities between breeds.

Even in a litter of kittens where there is a mix of Persian & Exotic babies - they have different temperaments.

You know the most calmest, laid back cats I've ever met??

Norwegian Forest Cats - all the NFO's I've ever handled/met/judged here in NZ have been just so friendly.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Siamese cats would destroy your house.

Given the opportunity a small group of siamese kittens will make a valiant effort at destroying your house. Add in a bengal kitten or two and an Aby and your house will be totally re-decorated by the time you get home from work.
I truly believe that the Siamese and Bengal breeds share the common Let's Knock Everything Off The Countertops Just For Fun gene. My Siamese/Snowshoe mix boy loves knocking stuff off of anything of height to get my attention. Both him and my current foster Bengal boy like opening cabinet doors just to hear them slam close, especially right after I go to bed. And the Bengal tries to jump up on anything high whether it's stable or not, which usually results in a crash.

Having Siamese and Bengals in the same household is FUN!!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fuzzmom

And the Bengal tries to jump up on anything high whether it's stable or not, which usually results in a crash.

Having Siamese and Bengals in the same household is FUN!!
We've had several clients name their bengals, "Crash".

We used to breed siamese, but never had both siamese and bengals together.
I can only imagine the collaboration that would occur.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We've had several clients name their bengals, "Crash".

We used to breed siamese, but never had both siamese and bengals together.
I can only imagine the collaboration that would occur.
Your Aby Baby will be born soon...(pray pray) now, Bengals and Abys - good mix that!