I need some help...

psychopomp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted about a year ago about a problem I was having with my cat, Briza, randomly attacking me without any provocation. Fortunately we've gotten past most of that, and she knows now that if she's going to bite she gets shot in the face with a water gun.

Everything was going fine for a long time. I've been relatively bite free, she's gotten much more affectionate and we spend at least an hour a day playing.

But within in the last several weeks she's started doing something that's pissing me off beyond belief. She's started scratching at the computer monitor. At first I thought she was just chasing the mouse pointer. So I gave her a firm no and put her on the floor.

But she's not chasing the mouse pointer. It doesn't matter if it's off or on, she scratches at it. She has a scratching post, so she's not trying to sharpen her claws, I honestly think she's trying to irritate me.

I've got the water gun sitting on the desk, but I can't easily shoot her while she's scratching at the monitor. This is a $700 high end monitor that she's already left several noticable scratches on, that fortunately you can't see when it's on. But I'm just waiting for her to do some real damage.

What I don't understand is that the monitor has been here a lot longer than she's been here, and she's just now taking interest in it.

I've tried covering it up at night with a blanket and she just pulls the blanket off to scratch at the monitor.

Every time she gets a smack on the back of the head, she looks at me and goes right back to scratching at it. Saying no doesn't do anything.

I don't want to do anything that'll scare her away from lying on the desk, I like having her there. I just don't want her scratching at a very nice monitor that I can't even begin to afford to replace.

Edit: It doesn't matter if I'm in the room or not. I've walked into the room and caught her scratching at it. So if she's doing it when I'm not here, all the water and smacks on the back of the head aren't going to do any good what so ever.

Any ideas?

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a cat repellent, just a little spray on a small part of the front of the monitor?

I understand that cats don't like citrus odors and cayenne - there's a way to mix it -.... maybe just Google "cat repellent", and see what ideas you come up with?

I know you don't want to keep her off the desk, you like her company - but maybe something just on the monitor might help?

If I think of something else, I'll pass it on.

Two of my cats love just to run their paws on the glass - they seem to like the noise? go figure.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try to put a scratching post next to the monitor, to see if it helps. You can also try one of these; just make sure to point it to the side of the monitor, otherwise it's going to spray on your face

And the most important part of it: no more smacking her head, ok? It doesn't work at all, and not the way to discipline a cat... Good luck!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you read this? Please do. http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/4...-Dont-Mix.html

Another thought would be one of those heavy duty plastic covers for the monitor. Keep it covered at all times you are not sitting there.

When she starts scratching the monitor, say nothing and put her on the floor. Keep doing this over and over, yes it is tiring. She will grow tired of this and stop.

Cats, as you know will do what they want when we are not there. Keep the monitor covered with the plastic and that should be helpful when you are not around.

Worth a try anyway

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychopomp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

How about a cat repellent, just a little spray on a small part of the front of the monitor?
I've thought about that, but I don't want her to stop sitting on the desk, I like having her there.

I don't know if she's doing it for attention or not. We spend at least an hour playing every day, usually more. And she knows how to get my attention when she wants to play... she's learned to fetch and isn't shy about letting me know she wants to play. She's part siamese and very loud.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if just a small dot or so on the monitor would prevent her from being on the desk - I saw your pic that had the Dell monitor - it looks like it would be far enough away, and maybe just a tad of repellent on the top of the monitor would work be enough to discourage her from playing with the monitor?, and not prevent her from being on the desk with you?

Well, that's my 2¢ - , oh,
, I agree with others - no more hitting on the head - you don't want her to go blind or something
... besides she probably doesn't understand - it's not "cat communication", ya know

Hope you're successful.

farmer kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Years ago I had a Siamese. She was very possessive of me. Her behavior would change from time to time. If someone was sitting beside me, she would pinch them with her teeth. If she thought I spent too much time wrapping Christmas gifts, she would leave me a little "gift" on the paper. I babysat a puppy for my dad for about a week. She was SO upset - a week after he left she would ignore me. I finally had to just pick her up, hold her in front of my face and tell her "this is enough!" is a very stearn tone. Sounds crazy, but it worked.
Maybe your baby is just now becoming jealous of your computer?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychopomp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I smack her on the back of the head, it's not hard. Just a tap, usually on the ear, that says no.

I've been putting her on the floor every time she tries, and she's been better today. But I don't know how long it'll last. She goes in phases. Weeks at a time she'll be sweet and then one day she'll be completely insane. Then the next day she doesn't want to have anything to do with me, and then the next day she won't let me leave her sight.

She's... strange, but cute.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Psychopomp

When I smack her on the back of the head, it's not hard. Just a tap, usually on the ear, that says no.

I've been putting her on the floor every time she tries, and she's been better today. But I don't know how long it'll last. She goes in phases. Weeks at a time she'll be sweet and then one day she'll be completely insane. Then the next day she doesn't want to have anything to do with me, and then the next day she won't let me leave her sight.

She's... strange, but cute.
What a kick!
What a wonderful personality - you won't be bored.

Think positive - maybe she'll read your brainwaves, and decide to stay away from your monitor.

Okay, I may get shot down here, but, have you been able to watch a cat discipline another, or, show the other it's boss?

I have three, and our First cat became parent (of sorts) to two kittens we adopted. The way he shows them he's #1, he grabs them by the scruff of the neck, and holds them. If the male (brother) picks on his sister - than the older one goes after him, and takes a hold of the back of his neck and holds him there until ???. The brother tolerates it, and he is now going to be two years old - but, after a short while, he just rolls out of the hold, then goes on his way.

Now, (you probably already know this) DO NOT lift her only by the scruff - be sure to support her whole body - because she's not a little weight-less kitten any more. What I'm thinking is that maybe if you took hold of the scruff of her neck, (gently) gave her a firm "no", lifted her whole body with your other hand -- again -- NOT by only the neck - off the desk it might show her, in cat language, that the action is not acceptable.

A DISCLAIMER: I am NOT one with a lot of cat behavioral experience - so, don't just take my word for it ... check out my idea with someone else that has a lot more experience - PLEASE.