snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup. She did.

I had always been a lizard girl... snakes were ok, but nothing I was into. Untill I offered to carpool to a reptile show. I picked up this guy to take with me, and when I dropped him off, he invited me in. Little did I know
He was Canada's biggest breeder of cornsnakes at the time. I came home with my first snake that day
(Karma was actually my second, I lost my first due to not being educated enough)

So her she is, my baby, Karma ( she is a normal 2003 cornsnake)

Full belly

growed up

Karma and her eggies

and ending with Karma's daughter. (of course I had to keep one of her babies from her first clutch)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Snakes lay eggs?
Excuse me being so daft. I know nothing about snakes.

Can I post a pic of 2 snakes I took at Melbourne Zoo?
Please do

Some snakes lay eggs, and some have live births. Generally speaking, most boa's have live births. Cornsnakes and kingsnakes lay eggies.

Close up of a cornsnake hatching:

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! That's amazing. How many eggs would one normally have at a time?

I just love these snakes - I could have watched them all day. Are they mating?

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
shes a pretty snake!

when i was younger my 1st snake was a garter snake that i bought from the store, well in the summer id go down the field and bring home buddies for my snake, well little did i know that Slinky was preggers until 1 day i woke up to a couple teeny weeny snakes in the tank...it was such a precious suprise!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

WOW! That's amazing. How many eggs would one normally have at a time?

I just love these snakes - I could have watched them all day. Are they mating?
Do you happen to know what kind of snakes those are? They kinda look like vietnamese beauty snakes.

Can't tell if they are mating without seeing their tails

This however is two snakes mating

I love my snakes
Although I will say that I don't have the same emotional bond with them as I do with Brandy or Kizzy. I would say its due to the snake's lack of emotional response.

Forgot to answer bout the eggies: Clutches can range between 5-30 eggies. Average being about 12-15. My largest batch was 31 eggies.... all went on to hatch healthy and squirmy babies.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Do you happen to know what kind of snakes those are? They kinda look like vietnamese beauty snakes.

Can't tell if they are mating without seeing their tails

This however is two snakes mating

I love my snakes
Although I will say that I don't have the same emotional bond with them as I do with Brandy or Kizzy. I would say its due to the snake's lack of emotional response.
I think they were Taipens? [sp?]

Hmmm ok that's weird - they look like different breeds - can you do that? Do people register snakes like they do cats/dogs?

So full of questions

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Forgot to answer bout the eggies: Clutches can range between 5-30 eggies. Average being about 12-15. My largest batch was 31 eggies.... all went on to hatch healthy and squirmy babies.
31 snake babies!!!! Wow - do you sell them?

I went to a big pet shop in Aussie and looked at all the different types available for sale - some you had to have a license

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cats4sky

shes a pretty snake!

when i was younger my 1st snake was a garter snake that i bought from the store, well in the summer id go down the field and bring home buddies for my snake, well little did i know that Slinky was preggers until 1 day i woke up to a couple teeny weeny snakes in the tank...it was such a precious suprise!
TY

You know what's funny.

Aside from captive snakes, I have never seen a snake in the wild. Weird huh. They are around, there's several native species local but I haven't even run across a garter in the wild

That would have been an awesome experience
for you. I know for me, I've been breeding since 2005 and it never grows old watching the lil heads pip thru the eggies. I am looking forward to my first experience with live birthing snakes

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think they were Taipens? [sp?]

Hmmm ok that's weird - they look like different breeds - can you do that? Do people register snakes like they do cats/dogs?

So full of questions
Don't mind the ?'s at all. I've been asked many times, probally questions most don't think to ask.

The two mating, are the same "breed"... they are both cornsnakes... however, you know how in kitties you can have seal points, mitteds, different colours, etc based on their parents genetics? The same with cornsnakes. The ones in the above picture are a normal (what you would generally find in the wild) and a bloodred. Their babies were all normals het for bloodred. Meaning if I were to take the baby and mate it back to the bloodred, I would get 50% normals, and 50% bloodreds. Like mating a seal point with a lynx point. Same breed, different colour.

(although yes, there are Hybrids.... kingsnake x cornsnake is a very common hybrid.... there are alot out there, but it is not something I partake in)

Inbreeding is normal within cornsnakes. But we are regularly bringing in new stock to avoid "over in-breeding".

There is a cornsnake registry that some people register their snakes. But its not like in dogs/cats where people pay more for the registered snakes. It's more to keep track of their genetics (kinda like cat pedigrees).
http://www.herpregistry.com/acr/ is the only snake registry I know of.

31 snake babies!!!! Wow - do you sell them?

I went to a big pet shop in Aussie and looked at all the different types available for sale - some you had to have a license
Yup, I sell them
Some are wholesaled, some go to people I know and others I sell at reptile shows.

There are certain snakes that you have to have licencing for. Non of mine are. However, you do have to watch your towns bylaws
They are getting stickier and stickier.... mainly due to irresponsible keepers.

When I first got my snakes, I checked the bylaws out thoroughly to make sure I was ok. At the time there was no bylaws concerning snakes or reptiles. In 2006 or 7 they changed those laws. I didn't know until summer of 08 cuz I was looking up info on noise bylaws. Now most of what I have, you aren't supposed to have. BUT because I had them prior to the laws changing, I am allowed to keep them
(grandfathered in).

Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Is Karma still with you? She's a beautiful snake
Yup, Karma is still with me. She will never be sold....
She's one of the calmest snakes I own... she has never bitten or tried to... mind you I wouldn't recommend hand feeding her LOL. Yah, she has a very special place with me.

Thx for the comments... feel free to add any other questions... I would be happy to answer them.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love snakes... and thank you for posting so I can live vicariously since DH has said no more snakes for me.

Karma is a beauty and I LOVE Blood Red's color.

I know you said that your snakes don't show an emotional response but do you find they have different personalities? I've noticed that in some on my own snakes over time and also that they seem to behave differently depending on who is handling them. Unfortunately I had to re-home my last snake as he was a bit on the grumpy side with me but he seems quite happy in his new home. I've attached the only pic of him I could find at the moment.

TY

You know what's funny.

Aside from captive snakes, I have never seen a snake in the wild. Weird huh. They are around, there's several native species local but I haven't even run across a garter in the wild
I've encountered several garter snakes in the "wild" and they are pretty aggressive for such a small snake. Then a few years ago DH and I caught and re-released a rather long black rat snake we found around the foundation of my parents house. I'm glad it was us that found him... I think my mom would have convinced my dad or brother to kill it had they been home. It's quite an adrenaline rush to catch a wild snake. I used a garden watering wand and a cooler to relocate him to a nearby field. It felt good to know I probably saved him as well as the nest of baby bunnies he had his eye on.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I love snakes... and thank you for posting so I can live vicariously since DH has said no more snakes for me.

Karma is a beauty and I LOVE Blood Red's color.
no probs. I love showing off my babies, scaley or furry

My husband is not into reptiles at all. However, he does help me out
They are my 'hobby' just as playing with his car is his hobby. Luckily he has never tried to limit me on them. Mainly because I'm a firm believer in SSH (safe snake handling). My female Colombian BCI is the biggest snake I will ever own. She can max at about 9-10ft. I am comfortable in tending to her, but if I need to handle her (cleaning cages, etc.) I have a second person in the room with me
I also avoid risky handling... I know in some pics you will see me or my kids with the snake hanging on the shoulders (neck area)...but never the larger ones (when they were younger, yes...but not after they reached 4-5ft and 15lbs+). If they took a notion to constrict, I alone would not be able to remove them, it could take 2-4 people to do so. Hence my reasoning for larger snakes not being around necks.

I know you said that your snakes don't show an emotional response but do you find they have different personalities? I've noticed that in some on my own snakes over time and also that they seem to behave differently depending on who is handling them. Unfortunately I had to re-home my last snake as he was a bit on the grumpy side with me but he seems quite happy in his new home. I've attached the only pic of him I could find at the moment.
He was a gorgeous Colombian BCI

Yes, my snakes have different personalities very much so. Emotional response is highly debatable between owners. Some will say that yes they show emotion because they will "cuddle" with their humans. The truth behind that one, snakes are cold blooded, so yes they will wrap around you to absorb your warmth.

They do show preference, aggression and when they want to be left alone.

I had a gorgeous Hogg Island boa at one time. She was a stunning example of 'breed'. BUT, she absolutely hated me. Anytime I would walk by she would strike at the glass.... always tried to bite me no matter what I did. I had purchased her from a man who said she had a good temperment. No, I wasn't lied to. I sold her because of the temperment. I do not keep "bitey" snakes because of my children. I fully disclosed her temperment to the buyer, a young lad (18) and he still wanted her. She has never tried to strike him, and he says she's a sweetheart.

My opinion: she prefered men. Her previous owner who had no issues, was a man. I sold her to a male.

I have snakes that like to be held, some that don't. Snakes that will sit on my shoulders and snakes that won't. Lots of different personalities

I've encountered several garter snakes in the "wild" and they are pretty aggressive for such a small snake. Then a few years ago DH and I caught and re-released a rather long black rat snake we found around the foundation of my parents house. I'm glad it was us that found him... I think my mom would have convinced my dad or brother to kill it had they been home. It's quite an adrenaline rush to catch a wild snake. I used a garden watering wand and a cooler to relocate him to a nearby field. It felt good to know I probably saved him as well as the nest of baby bunnies he had his eye on.
Good for you
The aunt-in-law I mentioned in my other post, would have attempted to kill it

I appreciate those who relocate the snakes instead of trying to hurt it. Fear unfortunately creates panic in people. The automatic step on it response. I understand fear completely, but relate it to warm blooded animals.... would they try to kill a cat who was hissing and swiping at them? Prolly not.

Snakes in the wild are a good thing. Nature. They keep the rodent population down, amongst other things. Ultimately, the snake in the wild is as scared of you as you are of it. Unfortunately, the way a snake deals with fear is by being aggressive and trying to bite. But yah know, I would to in their situation. If they can't escape easily, then yes, they will try to bite. If a giant cornered me, I would use whatever I could (fists, feet, teeth, anything) to try to escape.

Sorry for the book. I love talking/educating about my snakes
If I can ease one person's fear, then my job is done.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a really pretty snake. Her pic as a baby reminds me of a snake I once found...I managed to take it home, but it turned out it was some extremely poisonous snake when I did some research so I had to release it- it was a baby though.
I am curious, do snakes have certain personalities?? Do they interact with people??

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

That's a really pretty snake. Her pic as a baby reminds me of a snake I once found...I managed to take it home, but it turned out it was some extremely poisonous snake when I did some research so I had to release it- it was a baby though.
I am curious, do snakes have certain personalities?? Do they interact with people??
TY.

About personalities:

Yes, my snakes have different personalities very much so. Emotional response is highly debatable between owners. Some will say that yes they show emotion because they will "cuddle" with their humans. The truth behind that one, snakes are cold blooded, so yes they will wrap around you to absorb your warmth.

They do show preference, aggression and when they want to be left alone.

I had a gorgeous Hogg Island boa at one time. She was a stunning example of 'breed'. BUT, she absolutely hated me. Anytime I would walk by she would strike at the glass.... always tried to bite me no matter what I did. I had purchased her from a man who said she had a good temperment. No, I wasn't lied to. I sold her because of the temperment. I do not keep "bitey" snakes because of my children. I fully disclosed her temperment to the buyer, a young lad (18) and he still wanted her. She has never tried to strike him, and he says she's a sweetheart.

My opinion: she prefered men. Her previous owner who had no issues, was a man. I sold her to a male.

I have snakes that like to be held, some that don't. Snakes that will sit on my shoulders and snakes that won't. Lots of different personalities
As far as interaction with people, it depends on what you mean.

They will interact in such ways as coming to you to see if you have food, coiling backwards if you approach them aggressively, wrapping around you to absorb your warmth, etc.

Ultimately, they tolerate us, but prefer to be left alone unless you're feeding them

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Wow... I love snakes and that is scary even to me. Good thing you didn't get bit!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Wow... I love snakes and that is scary even to me. Good thing you didn't get bit!
Yea lol I was a crazy thoughtless teenager
It was a very cute snake though.

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the education Snake Lady
How do they interact with your cat? Are Corn Snakes aggressive at all? Have you ever been bitten? Just curious......