Am I odd?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
So a few weeks ago my purse finally bought it. It's about 7 years old and no one I know can believe I've kept it this long. Now I absolutely loathe purse shopping. Given the choice I would probably still be living out of a gym bag, but this one worked for me, it was a good size had pockets I liked went with everything, etc.

So last night I bit the bullet and let DH take me purse shopping. After going through two stores I found my exact purse...and on sale!

DH just laughed and pointed out that while this was very much like me and he was glad I was so happy, most girls would have been looking for something new and trendy. I took my opportunity to update my one fashion accessory and bought the same thing I've had for years because I find it practical...am I odd?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

DH just laughed and pointed out that while this was very much like me and he was glad I was so happy, most girls would have been looking for something new and trendy. I took my opportunity to update my one fashion accessory and bought the same thing I've had for years because I find it practical...am I odd?
Not at all odd. We get used to the things that work for us. I have a sweatshirt that I
and a couple prs of pants that look good and feel good, but all 'should' be replaced. I wish I could find the same ones
I really don't care if its new or trendy. I want comfort, practicality and dependablity. Which sounds like your purse was

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I want comfort, practicality and dependablity.
That's me in a nutshell.

I bought the exact same work shoes for 5 years (3 pairs) once because they worked for me and the price was right.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

That's me in a nutshell.

I bought the exact same work shoes for 5 years (3 pairs) once because they worked for me and the price was right.
Me too

I've gotten smarter over the years, and tend to buy things in 2's. If the item works for me, I will go back and get another
that way when it does wear out, I will still be able to have the exact same one.

I had a pair of shoes, just Reebox(sp) running shoes... that lasted me a good 10yrs before hubby threw em out (holes in the side, holes in the sole....they were well air conditioned
) Unfortunately they are no longer made. It was sooooo hard finding something else that worked for me.

Now, things like shoes and bra's I buy 2prs of shoes, and several bra's
because they change from year to year.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do this. Especially with purses and shoes. I find something that works for me, and I stick with it and when the old one wears out I buy the same exact thing again. I was so mad when I went to get a replacement purse a few months ago and they had changed the design (just slightly but still!).

I wear the same pair of shoes every day with few exceptions and I wore the same style for 5 years until they quit making them. When I found out the store wasn’t going to sell them anymore I went and bought out all the ones in my size on clearance so I wouldn’t have to find a new type for awhile. I recent ran out of those and now I am still trying to find a replacement I like as well!

So no, I don't think you are odd!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not the least bit odd! If I ever find a purse that really truly does the job just the way I want it done, by golly, I'll hang onto it for dear life!

I think it's great that some of us are not into the whole "conspicuous consumption" thing. It's an attitude that's going to have to die anyway, if we're going to get control of both our ecology and our economy.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Well i go through alot of purses, but thats because after 6 months or so they begin to annoy me and i find something wrong with them

But bra wise, sometimes i find it hard to find a pair that will fit comfortably and such. I finally found one that was really good, not expensive, AND they have about 8 different colours
Yes indeedy i have 5 of them

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohhh I hate handbag shopping too! I have one, and only one. I was just shoving everything in my pockets for a while, then we went and saw a Cirque du Soleil show, and I saw a bag there that was just the right size, and I loved the colours! All their merchandise is so expensive so I didn't even pick it up, but hubby spotted it too, and brought it to me and said he thought it was something I'd like (he knows me well!), and it was on special
I think it was only $15 or something like that, and it's still going strong.

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're not odd at all
I've had the same purse for 10 years now. I got it when I was 19 as a Christmas present. Now the handle is starting to break and one of the zippers came off and the inside pockets are worn down but I love that bag. Everything fits in it perfectly. So I'm not gonna give it up until it falls apart (hopefully not in the middle of a busy parking lot!)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not odd at all!

Some years ago I bought a purse that I absolutely loved. It was black, had 2 zipper compartments, and one zipper inside. Very plain. And it was the perfect size. It wore out after 3 years or so, and when I went to look for another, I couldn't find anything remotely close to what it was, and I "settled" on something else. I didn't like the new purse at all. I've bought other purses since, and none have measured up to that particular one.

I've ended up using canvas tote bags, back packs, an old standby purse that is made of very heavy leather and suede that is heavy when it's empty and back breaking when it's full.

After a year of seriously searching, I managed to find another purse. I had a mental picture in my head about what I wanted:

black
plain and unembellished
A single zipper
No gadgets, pockets and pouches inside or outside.
Long and shallow so that I could see at a glance what is inside.

I managed to find it finally.... at a luggage store.

It has too compartments on each end of the purse that have magnetic snaps. I put my cell in one and a bottle of hand cleanser in the other.

There is a single zipper.

Inside there is a centre zipper divider where I can keep a pen and my monthly calendar. There is also a small zipper compartment that I can keep my mirror and a tube of lipstick.

On the outside there is a small zipper compartment that I keep my keys in.

And it's black, very plain. The handles are held on the purse with a single metal silver ring.

I refused to settle again. If I hadn't found that purse, I would have left the store without one. I can't stand bags that are cluttered with pockets, pouches, zippers, dangle things etc. I just like plain, unadorned black purses. And I use the same purse all year long, not bothering to switch out to other colours and styles during the year.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ussually go for practical as well. My BF was amazed at how many shoes I DONT have! His ex was constantly buying shoes! I think I maybe have about a dozen pairs, depending on how nice I am dressing, and for the weather.. most of them are BLACK because that matches everything else!

I remember in high school chior, we had to wear a white shirt and black skirt for dress concerts.. the skirt was provided, probably so there was no issues on whether or not someone was wearing one that was too short.. but we had to get our own white dress shirt. Its so hard to find just a plain white blouse for a woman.. all of them had some kind of lace, frills, embroidery, etc.. or were an off-white! We were allowed to have lace or frills, as long as the shirt was WHITE.. but I didnt like them.. I wanted just a plain shirt! Shopping is a pain in the butt sometimes!

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should see my diaper bag.. sure there's lots of cute ones with pink dots or whatever.. I chose a plain black one when I did my registry because of how BIG it was! The person who bought it for me commented that they couldnt find a pink one, it only came in black... I said the color wasnt important, I chose that one because of its size!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm VERY picky about purses and my last one I have for over 5 years. I still have it, but hubby decided last Christmas to get me a new one, and I HATE it! I have to have mine a certain way, 2 zipper compartments (not just one where everything gets lost) a front zipper and a long strap. Preferable brown. The one he got is black, short strap and 1 zipper. It does has to snap compartments in the front which are nice though. It took me until last summer before I even started using it and that was only because he started asking me why I wasn't using it (the excuse "I'm saving it for a special occassion" was wearing thin
) so I finally gave in.

Now, I just look longing at my favorite and deal with it.

I never understood the people that switched purses every day to match their outfits. I mean, I DO have formal handbags for special occassions, but I'm definitely not going to switch everything to a different purse just because I happen to be wearing a red sweater that day. But, then again I'm the furthest thing from a girly girl....I only carry a purse because my pockets aren't big enough to hold everything!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't think you're odd. i'm very picky, too - need to wash my current one, but hate giving it up [not to mention unloading it!
] for even that long.
i carry a messenger bag - has room for all my stuff, plus [if desired] a book, 2 liter bottles of liquid, and my laptop. it's huge! has bunches of different sections for all my stuff, too! nice, wide, PADDED strap... i don't think i'll ever find another i like so well! i wish it was a darker color [it's a light lavender] but that's about the only thing wrong w/it from my point of view!
congrats on finding one you like!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope. Not at all. I don't do trendy very much. I like classic style. And I will take function over form just about anytime. I like a cross-body bag - like a messenger bag only not so big. It takes some of the pressure off my shoulder and frees up my hands.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to combine style and comfort. I am definitely not huge on trends. But I do have sort of my own unique style, I usually get things that are of similar colors and patterns, designs, etc. And my number one thing is comfort. It's so much easier in the summer though, I am glad winter is over ..But i have an obsession with bags, although I only wear one, the most comfortable one- I have one closet just full of bags
I need to donate some because some are really old, and some I've never worn ...just bought them because I thought they look awesome lol

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
no..your not odd at all, i have a habit of buying shirts or sweaters that look good on me in 2 different colors, and im super picky about my jeans, like they have to flare out at the bottom and just about cover up my shoe, but they have to be long cause i have super long legs...and they have to fit just perfect!
so whenever i find a pair im totally comfortable with ill buy a few. like recently i found my perfect flare jeans at express, and they had them in longs, i was going to buy a pair in each shade, but they only had my size in 2 shades.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I must be the odd one here---I don't carry a purse at all. I figure that if something won't fit into my jeans pockets I don't need it.
The only time I use a purse is when we take a trip (and since I hate traveling that rarely happens). Then I can put my meds and make-up in a purse and have them close by.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I guess I must be the odd one here---I don't carry a purse at all. I figure that if something won't fit into my jeans pockets I don't need it.
The only time I use a purse is when we take a trip (and since I hate traveling that rarely happens). Then I can put my meds and make-up in a purse and have them close by.
Honey, you're a girl after my own heart!