Any tips on feeding my kitty raw food?

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, it has been a while since the last time I posted on this forum. Glad to be back ~

Anyhow!
I went to a local pet store few days ago and purchased pre-made raw food made by http://www.stellaandchewys.com/ . The store owner said it's a great pre-made food and many cats loved it... so I decided to try it!

I tried offering it to my kitty, but all she did was sniff & walked away. What can I do to make her interested in eating it? I tried warming her food a little by putting it inside a ziploc bag and submerging the food in warm water for about 20 minutes... but that didn't work. Is it going to be tough to transition a cat from eating a mix of dry & wet cat food to raw?

Just for your info, my cat is currently eating a mix of orijen 6 fish dry food & ziwi peak canned food.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two raw eaters took to it right away. My other 2 have been more difficult and honestly I haven't made much progress with them. I'm told that if you are persistent any cat can be switched to an all raw diet.

Check this out:

http://www.catnutrition.org/faq.php

I also strongly suggest you read all other information available on that site if you are new to raw feeding.

Please be sure you understand the difference between feeding raw and feeding processed foods. It isn't difficult but it is different. That site has a lot of good information.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!

domi610

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
I am new, and french and a siamese and osh breeder. my kitties eat raw with no problem. they see mum does it. I just ground the meat more little for kitties.
I do all my raw food by myself as in Belgium ( where I live ) there's no ready to eat raw food .
And we are very few to feed our cats with raw. I do promote raw to other breeder

dwmeowmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxanne

Hi guys, it has been a while since the last time I posted on this forum. Glad to be back ~

Anyhow!
I went to a local pet store few days ago and purchased pre-made raw food made by http://www.stellaandchewys.com/ . The store owner said it's a great pre-made food and many cats loved it... so I decided to try it!

I tried offering it to my kitty, but all she did was sniff & walked away. What can I do to make her interested in eating it? I tried warming her food a little by putting it inside a ziploc bag and submerging the food in warm water for about 20 minutes... but that didn't work. Is it going to be tough to transition a cat from eating a mix of dry & wet cat food to raw?

Just for your info, my cat is currently eating a mix of orijen 6 fish dry food & ziwi peak canned food.
Some kitties can be a challenge when transitioning to raw. I used a couple of different approaches when I transitioned my 4 kitties. The most successful was to mix your kitties current food with some of the raw and taper off gradually until you are feeding all raw. Let your kitty set the pace. Some take to it right away, but others can take months. My three boys I had changed over within a month but my little girl took about 4 months.

You can also add stinky, smelling things that are irresistable to kitties like tuna juice, sardines, nutritional yeast (go easy with this at first, some kitties are allergic!). You can even crumble up some of their favorite kitty treats. Dried (or fresh) liver is another good one. Anything to entice them and get them to thinking...ok, this IS food.

It will be well worth the trouble. The rewards of just seeing the changes in their eyes, their coats, energy level...it's nothing sort of awesome. Not to mention their health.

Good luck!
DWMeowMix

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DWMeowMix

Some kitties can be a challenge when transitioning to raw. I used a couple of different approaches when I transitioned my 4 kitties. The most successful was to mix your kitties current food with some of the raw and taper off gradually until you are feeding all raw. Let your kitty set the pace. Some take to it right away, but others can take months. My three boys I had changed over within a month but my little girl took about 4 months.

You can also add stinky, smelling things that are irresistable to kitties like tuna juice, sardines, nutritional yeast (go easy with this at first, some kitties are allergic!). You can even crumble up some of their favorite kitty treats. Dried (or fresh) liver is another good one. Anything to entice them and get them to thinking...ok, this IS food.

It will be well worth the trouble. The rewards of just seeing the changes in their eyes, their coats, energy level...it's nothing sort of awesome. Not to mention their health.

Good luck!
DWMeowMix
some just need coaxing... I found dried liver and tuna flakes helpful ... my vet highly recommends all cats get one sardine a day, uti kitties 2 or 3 a week( now if mine would eat them

fuzmugly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just take it slow. imagine how your cat must feel to find something new in it's dish. raised on dry or wet, raw is a HUGE change.