Kitten Independance

triv85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have a 8 month old feline kitten, have had her for about 5 months now. When I first brought her home she slept on my bed right beside me for the first week or two, but that was the last time. Ever since then she's become a lot more independent. She'll sleep alone on a couch or in one of her beds; if I pick her up and set her down in my lap 9/10 times she'll hop away. etc.

She isn't so secluded that she'll attack people when they come near her or anything like that. I often pick her up, carry her around, rub/pet/scratch her while cuddling in my arms, things like that. And she enjoys it. I'm simply curious about her independent behaviour and whether it's normal for a cat to behave this way at such an early age.

Thanks.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's normal for an early age. She will probably get more cuddly later on. My kitten is 4 months old now and he will not let me pet him, if I try he starts to play fight. He is okay with me petting him only when he is sleeping, or right before, and at that time he purrs loud. I mean until 1 - 2 years old, all they ever think about is play, hunt, chase, etc...They do not like simply sitting and looking around, so they are just not patient enough to sit in your lap and be petted. She was probably scared and so she clung to you the first week, and now that she is settled she can show her real crazy kitten side lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

triv85

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I think it's normal for an early age. She will probably get more cuddly later on. My kitten is 4 months old now and he will not let me pet him, if I try he starts to play fight. He is okay with me petting him only when he is sleeping, or right before, and at that time he purrs loud. I mean until 1 - 2 years old, all they ever think about is play, hunt, chase, etc...They do not like simply sitting and looking around, so they are just not patient enough to sit in your lap and be petted. She was probably scared and so she clung to you the first week, and now that she is settled she can show her real crazy kitten side lol.
Mine is the exact same. xD

Good to hear though. I wasn't exactly "concerned" about all this. More so curious on whether it's normal or what.

lunalover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine is the same, and she's about 21 weeks now. I can pat her as she's falling asleep and just when she's woken up, and first thing in the morning she'll jump into my lap (even if I'm in the bathroom!) for a cuddle but other than that, if my hand approaches her she just wants to play with it.

She is starting to mellow out a bit though. Last night she slept on our bed the whole night through without trying to play with our feet - the first time since the first week we had her.

Although yesterday I saw her from behind sitting completely still and I was amazed at how long she had been sitting in the one spot for, and then I went closer and realised she was asleep sitting up...and she was fully asleep, not just resting, it was so cute!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes its normal - some cats just have a more independent personality. Our Ling wants you to pick her up, when you do, she wants down 2 seconds later and complains the entire time (either way). She's just plain weird and very very independent cat.

Charlie was more cuddly as a kitten. But Oci's are not great lap cats (not like the Rexes are). They would rather play and run and interact with you. At bedtime is when they will curl up more with you.