Can Your Cats Do Tricks?

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And they say can't can't be trained..hah!

My "littlest" cat, Pandora, can open any door. She's so limber and petite, she'll fit just about anywhere.

My big guy Thor has learned how to give a "high five" whenever he gets a treat. Just shake the bag and up comes the paw.

What kind of tricks can your cats do?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sparkie

And they say can't can't be trained..hah!

My "littlest" cat, Pandora, can open any door. She's so limber and petite, she'll fit just about anywhere.

My big guy Thor has learned how to give a "high five" whenever he gets a treat. Just shake the bag and up comes the paw.

What kind of tricks can your cats do?
When I get up in the morning, I find Persi waiting for me. I then go into the laundry room and call him; he will then jump up on the dryer to be groomed for the day!

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the door isn't shut all the way, Callie can open it. She's also a very patient kitty. She'll sit in the bathtub forever waiting for me to turn the faucet on for her. If I say "watch out" she knows she needs to get out. She's such a smart girl.

mikehong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... Mine have the uncanny ability to wake my girlfriend and I up in the morning before the alarm clock goes off. They can also tell when it's time to be fed

I'd just be happy if I could get them to respond to their names

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Marble has had a fascination with opening cabinets for a while. Sometimes I'll close it only to find it open again a few hours later. Her most recent trick she learned is to open both ends of my sliding mirror door on the closet. She also knows what the word "hungrys" means. Also, when I get home from work, I see her waiting in the window on the 2nd story for me. While I'm waiting for the garage to open and pull in, she will run all the way downstairs and meet me at the door that leads in from the attached garage. Unfortunately her sister Mia doesn't have any tricks like this. My mother's cat loves to play fetch with her toy mice.

pebblesandmeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom taught my little guy, Milo, to give her a kiss on the nose whenever she says "Po-Po" (Korean for 'kiss'). It's the cutest thing, especially since before Milo, she wanted to have NOTHING to do with animals...funny how they just make their way into our

And Pebbles, my older one, sits on command. I'm dying to teach them how to walk on a leash so I can take them out. Can't wait to see my neighbors faces when I go strutting down the block with two cats on leashes LOL

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Java will lift her nose for kisses when i say 'kisses'. both she & Cable can [& do] open cabinet doors. Pixel can fetch - altho she does it 'cat style' where she only brings the item partway back, expecting me to get up & get it to throw it again

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake does something similar to fetch. I throw a paper ball and he runs after it, then he wrestles with it for a few minutes and brings it right back to me..It's so cute to watch him walking towards me with such pride with that paper ball in his mouth!!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's a man in my neighborhood who has a big yellow DLH whom he walks on a leash. I swear, that creature acts more like a dog than a cat.

(I petted it once. When I got home, Zane made a jealous exhibition of himself.)

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Zachary plays fetch with foam balls. Once my husband and I are in bed at night he will bring the ball to throw over and over again. Our fetch session will last generally about 15-20 minutes. Usually it is us that has to tell Zach "No more" Play time is over!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty used to play fetch just like a dog. Then she grew up and must have realized thats not proper cat behavior

Holly and Kitty know what kisses are

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow, how i wish kimi will fetch too. instead, she had sucesfully trained me to fetch for her

she understands n responds to 'come', 'wait', 'bye bye', 'sit', 'no more'.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin and Zero both stand on their hind legs before I give them wet food... it's something my GF has always had her kitties do. Pumpkin occasionally has conversations...

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, one of my cats does the 'Shrek' trick...

He's hungry and he meows and looks at me with big, puppy dog eyes that say, "I'm starving" and I'll say no, not until dinnertime. Then his eyes get bigger and sadder and he looks up at me. Eventually, I can't take it anymore and my resolve breaks and I give him a few pieces of kibble.

If you've watched Shrek 2, then you know the look I mean. This is the look that got me, a former cat-disliker, to take him in until he found a new home and the same look got me to keep him and not want to let him go.

They know who the suckers are I tell ya...

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Jake does something similar to fetch. I throw a paper ball and he runs after it, then he wrestles with it for a few minutes and brings it right back to me..It's so cute to watch him walking towards me with such pride with that paper ball in his mouth!!
Trout fetches as well. She has since she was a kitten, and she LOVES it. She brings me her foam ball as SOON as I wakeup...drops it right on my pillow and screams "Lets PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAY mooooooooooooom".

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack fetches (has done this since he was 10 weeks old), sits on command, does "up" (standing on back feet), we are working on spinning in a circle and usually comes when called. We got a training book for christmas and he's learning fast.

Harley doesn't even know his name...

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hehe, when you guys mentioned "fetch", I just remembered that my parent's cat "Orion" will do that.

He's done it since he was a kitten. Their dog can fetch, and seeing all the attention that gets lavished on that dog probably made Orion think "Hey, if I do that, will I get a tummy rub at a treat too?"

They have another cat named Athena (can't you tell I've named them all? Somebody has a thing for mythology)
who does what we call "stupid human tricks".

We make her knock on the door before she gets to go outside. And she'll hem and haw and grunt about it too like "Ugh how EMBARASSING! Do I HAVE to do this? Ooooh..*whine*..oh all right.. *tap tap*)

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sort of....Nipper will "beg" for a treat, i make him stand up on his hind legs to get it, its pretty cute

and Princess, when im brushing her she will roll over for me to do the other side LMAO....and the cat likes to play hide n seek! She will run in front of me and hide, and i usually will know where she went, but ill pretend i dont and ill be like hmmmmm....i wonder where princess is? then ill look a few places before i find her, ill say gotcha! and then she will run and hide again...repeat, its adorable.

Sabastian- no tricks for sabastian, he just kinda fats his was around all day

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nora plays fetch also. She only does it with these fluffy sparkly balls, though. These ones:

When you say "Where's your ball?" to her she will go get it and bring it to you. But she does expect you to play if you ask her that.

She will also "dance" for tomatoes. LMAO If you hold a piece of tomato up she will stand on her back feet and "dance" around, and then gently pat the tomato so you'll give it to her. LOL Nora loves tomatoes. We had BLT's last night, and she chose tomatoes over bacon.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL if I say fetch and throw a ball, I may never see it again!

Maggie says 'momma' for her food. Lately she's been trying to open doors by the knob. She knows how to open a pull drawer if it's not heavy. She loves hide and seek and all I have to say is "READY?" and her butt wiggles and off she dashes. She hides and if I can't find her quickly she gives me an 'ert' sound to make it easier. Silly kitty! I just taught her how to high-five. She hold her dogs face with both paws and gives her an eskimo kiss on the nose. She also knows a lot of words ie..outside (sunporch), dinner, doggie, no, off, and a few others. She almost always comes when I call her.
I'm sure cats can do lots of things, they just don't want to lol