Which Breed to breed?

desertjewel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family and I have been wanting to breed for a while now, and we decided on 4 cat breeds. Which one of these breeds is striving well dispite the economy, and which of the 4 is the easiest to sell?

American Bobtail
British Shorthair
Ragdoll
Russian Blue

We like them all equally, so it's a hard decision.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DesertJewel

My family and I have been wanting to breed for a while now, and we decided on 4 cat breeds. Which one of these breeds is striving well dispite the economy, and which of the 4 is the easiest to sell?

American Bobtail
British Shorthair
Ragdoll
Russian Blue

We like them all equally, so it's a hard decision.
Nice username
Thought you were someone else with the same name for a second

There is no money in breeding cats and the current economy shouldn't have an influence on what cats you breed. I don't know or follow the current pet market, so I personally can't tell you which cat breed is the easiest to sell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desertjewel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Nice username
Thought you were someone else with the same name for a second

There is no money in breeding cats and the current economy shouldn't have an influence on what cats you breed. I don't know or follow the current pet market, so I personally can't tell you which cat breed is the easiest to sell.
I know. But, if people start breeding cats, they should buy a breed that will sell, or otherwise they'd be left broke trying to feed and take care of cats they can't sell. I agree that breeding shouldn't be based on money, but in the economy America's in, people have to be careful on how they spend their money. I want to breed a breed I love, but I want to make sure all of my kittens find loving homes.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without a good reputation built over time, usually starting by showing alters, no breed is easy to sell

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend going to cat shows and talking with the breeders for each of those breeds. Study those breeds, health, personality, grooming are all things to take into consideration. I don't think you should base your decision off the economy. Take the time to find the breed you really love.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not just start breeding cats. You need to pick out what YOU like the best and contact a breeder for a show alter and start there. Then build up to being a good breeder. Without going that route, you will not find any reputable breeder handing over breeding cats to a novice.

You need to research the breed, the pedigrees, the standard and know the cats inside and out. You have to be able to breed to the written standard - otherwise you will be another backyard breeder out to make money.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you been to any shows / seen any of these cats in person yet?

I'm not considering breeding, but just trying to decide which breed I want to own (as a pet) and I still haven't made up my mind...I haven't been to any shows yet either, so hopefully, before I make my final choice, I'll go to a show and get to meet some of the breeds on my "short list" to help me make the final choice.

Keep in mind that if you want to breed, you are pretty much responsible for all of the kittens you produce (i.e. taking them back if their new home shouldn't work out, etc.) so this is a big consideration (and one of the main reasons I'm not considering breeding).

All of the breeds you mentioned are pretty uncommon (except maybe the ragdoll), and I don't think that many people would know what the breed is, just based on name. This will make it harder to sell / place the kittens to the general public that doesn't know what an "x name" cat is... i.e. like in the paper.

If you end up going to some shows and picking a breed that you really love, than you might want to go the long-route and buy an altered cat and show it, build up cred., then get breeding cats and start off...If you have good breeding cats and show them (getting titles and building a solid breeding program) you will develope a great cattery reputation and people will literally contact you to be on a "waiting list" for your next litter. Also, by networking with other breeders (like those you might get your future breeders from) they will be able to reccommend you to prospective owners.

IMO, it would be best to pick the breed you love most and follow the above route, as that will ensure that you end up with quality cats, build a quality breeding program, and end up placing all of your cats.

Art

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont know much about breeding cats.. but my advice to anyone interested in breeding/showing dogs would probably be about the same.

Pick the breed that best fits YOUR lifestyle and personality.. after all these are animals that are first your pet.. you have to live with them and their quirks.

Breeding isnt about money or selling.. breeding COSTS money. Most breeders have a waiting list before planning a litter, so there is no concern about the pups/kittens not having a home.. the breeder is also prepared to keep all animals that dont sell.. many times a breeder doesnt breed until they are wanting to get at least one or two show potentials for themselves anyways!

In this economy, I dont see people buying many purebred animals.. I see alot of people asking "where can I get a purebred X for free or cheap?"