Ok so who eats Spam??

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On one of the national news networks last week was a short feature how Hormel cannot keep up with the production of Spam!!

So DH said he hasn't had Spam for a while (decades!) and I bought a can today.

Now what do I do with it???

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oddly enough, Spam is very popular in two states: Alaska, and Hawaii. Funny, huh?

There is a nightclub in Spenard (Anchorage suburb) called the Fly-by-Night Club. Their specialty is actually Spam in various forms. And one of their schticks is showing photos of Spam cans all over the world.

Oh, and the state's Court Plaza building in Juneau is called "The Spam Can."

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't eaten Spam in YEARS!
My mom used to fry it

I live somewhat near the Spam Museum in Austin, MN and its HUGE... and funny to go to

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Oddly enough, Spam is very popular in two states: Alaska, and Hawaii. Funny, huh?
That's because during WWII, because of gas and meat rationing, it was difficult to transport food. Spam was easy to transport and readily available and needed no refrigeration. During the war years, that was often one of the few choices. That's at least why it's popular in Hawaii. I would imagine it's the same for Alaska, but I couldn't say for sure.

My mom used to fry it for sandwiches, or instead of bacon or sausage with eggs.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~shudders~
I am with Helen on never eating it, my sister however loves it and makes this spam hash thing with it that she loves and would probably eat every night

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never had spam either. It wasnt ever anything my Mom or anyone in my family, ever made and as an adult, I have just never tried it.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I lived in Guam, we had a whole aisle in K-mart devoted to Spam. They acutally came up with a "hot and spicy" Spam and Guam was the test market. The Denny's there really did have a "Spam Slam". I think the attaction is it's easy to trasport, and doesn't go bad...and it's cheap!

I grew up on fried spam sandwiches. It's also good cut into small pieces and used in fried rice with vegtables. I have NO idea what goes into it, and I really don't want to know. I just know if you are short of funds, it fills your belly.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember my Mom would fry it up for sandwiches when I was a little girl. Sometimes she fried it up to serve with eggs for breakfast. I don't remember being particularly fond of it. It's funny you should post this....we were talking about Spam in the lounge at work, just this past Friday!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband likes to cut it in thin strips and fry it in a pan until it becomes crispy, and then dips it in bbq sauce like a potato chip. My son likes it also. I GAG and tried it ONCE. NOT a fan. lol

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I
spam!fried with cheese......
.I also like sushi with spam
and plain on bread with mustard!!! spam is yummy
I guess to each thier own!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

On one of the national news networks last week was a short feature how Hormel cannot keep up with the production of Spam!!

So DH said he hasn't had Spam for a while (decades!) and I bought a can today.

Now what do I do with it???
Breakfast: Fried Spam & eggs or diced, cooked with onions & scrambled eggs & put into a flour tortilla for a breakfast burrito.

Lunch or dinner: stir-fried rice w/Spam.
Spam stew - saute cubed Spam with diced onion & garlic. Add tomato sauce, water to make a soup and potatoes. When potatoes are nearly cooked, add string beans or mixed veggies

Dinner: Saute Spam with sliced celery, bell peppers, onions, and whatever other stir-fry style veggies you'd like, add chopped olives, serve with pasta topped with cashews or pine-nuts. Add Parmesan cheese if you'd like

For a Hawaiian style treat, saute diced Spam with sliced onions, bell peppers, sliced carrots. Cover the pan when not stirring, to keep liquid.Add pineapple & a little brown sugar. Thicken the broth with about a cup of water with a tablespoon of low-sodium soy sauce, about a tablespoon of vinegar and some corn starch. Serve on rice. Garnish with cashews, pistachios or peanuts.

Spam can be sliced cold and made into sandwiches, too.

I LOVE Spam and I have made almost as many "Hate Spam" converts as I have "Hate Cats" converts

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I have never eaten it, nor will I ever eat it
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

my hubby loves corned beef (the stuff in the can, not the lunch meat)... I can't stand the smell of it.

I have bought the chicken and ham in a can though.... I mix them in with cream of mushroom soup and noodles. I would think you could do the same with spam.

The corned beef, my hubby just slices it and puts it on a sandwich with cheese and heats it up. My kids will eat it if I batter it and fry it. (I just use egg and breadcrumbs for batter) You could prolly do that with spam too.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I have NO idea what goes into it, and I really don't want to know. I just know if you are short of funds, it fills your belly.
Hormel says pork shoulders and ham, water, salt, sugar, and sodium nitrite.

In other words, better ingredients than most hot dogs or sausages.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Hormel says pork shoulders and ham, water, salt, sugar, and sodium nitrite.

In other words, better ingredients than most hot dogs or sausages.
Thats what the miners in the mine-camp (*Teledyne Tungsten Strawberry mine, just outside of Yosemite) used to say. And I guess they were right, because they sure were healthy, despite all the boozing & the HARD work and the basic hardships of hard-rock mining!

When I was recovering from a bad case of giardia, the doctor told me to try eating bacon and boiled potatoes. The bacon was too greasy, but I was able to keep down Spam stew, which was good because I had lost so much weight, I was facing hospitalization. Thank God for Spam

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

my hubby loves corned beef (the stuff in the can, not the lunch meat)... I can't stand the smell of it.
My husband and son love canned corned beef has also, and I can't stand it. I refuse to even try it. To me, it smells like dog food before it is cooked. YUCK!! I can't believe my son likes that stuff. lol

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandmother use to be a big fan of it and would fry it up like bacon for breakfast. I remember having at her house, didn't mind it but don't think I have ever had it other then that. I know we never had it at home because my father wouldn't eat two things when he returned home after his stint in the military, Spam and Mutton, he was very vocal about never having to eat either again.
Guess it was quite a stable over-seas during WWII.