Weather oriented pain/discomfort

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else here have physical issues that become worse with the weather changes?

I keep saying I need to move somewhere warm and dry
Texas maybe....

I have arthritis in my one knee, plus my issues with my hands/elbows and back.

I find whenever the weather changes abruptly, like dry to damp, cold to hot, warm to cold, rainy, etc. that I hurt alot more than normal.

I've never been able to get a reasoning for this...but my assumption is the pressure change with weather changes tends to put your body in a different state...enhancing inflammation and the like...

I did find this interesting article: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A963958260

In Sept. I went to a friends place in Northern Ont. where the weather was amazing...not hot but not cold... not humid at all. I spent a week there and hardly had to take any pain meds. It was amazing. There was one day that I did hurt, they were getting rain. But the difference was amazing. Mind you, I picked the right season to go. I would NOT want to be there in the winter

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ohh I'm the same way. Whenever the weather changes I feel it EVERYWHERE and I acuatlly feel all my surgeries since all the sites hurt even the ones from like 5 years ago.

I also find the weather makes my joints stiffen and my arthiritis worse

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My sinuses respond to barometric changes. The faster the change, the more severe the sinus headache will be. Traveling by airplane almost always sets me off because of the climate differences between where I leave from and where I arrive. DH always knows that a storm front is moving in when his arthritic knees start to crackle.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeb know the feeling.

I have osteoarthritis in both knees, which isn't to bad for damp weather but acts up when it gets really cold or really hot.
I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands, wrists and shoulders, and it acts up when the weather is damp.

You could say I am between a rock and a hard place.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Warm and dry isn't Texas. Well, not most of it, anyway. You want something like Tucson. (Not Phoenix, too hot there.)

The wrist I broke last summer is sensitive to cold, still.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suffer with Tennis elbow in both..and every year now since it began I have suffered with pain during the colder months.

Also, earlier last month I was diagnosed with Raynauds disease which affects my fingers, they get so painful when I'm not wearing gloves. My middle finger on my right hand is the worst one, it turns pure white and it's agony!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My sinuses respond to barometric changes. The faster the change, the more severe the sinus headache will be.
I'm the exact same way. Sometimes I think my head is a better meterologist than the weathermen. I just know when we're going to get bad weather. Our one cat, Monster (seizure kitty) is the same way...only worse. Any sudden barometric change will send her into a seizure. Last winter we had a sudden squall go through where it snowed like crazy for 5 minutes and covered the ground and then stopped. She was fine before it came...as soon as it started snowing she went into a seizure and as soon as it stopped snowing, she came out of it. Just weird.

The cold affects my one knee and my back, but I think that's just because I hate the cold.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joints and sinuses here, too!
When the seasons change it seems to be the worst.

Mom had arthritis and her boss (construction) always thought she was a better weather forecaster than the guys with meteorology degrees.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My joints, the bulging discs in my spine (6) now compete with my migraines at predicting weather changes. Thunderstorms can set all of those off, too. Somewhere I read that it's the change in the ionic atmosphere combined with the drop in barometric pressure that causes these pains. Some cats get more static electricity in their fur right before storm.
I have been checking out the safety of California poppy herbal treatment (it's a Native American treatment for weather caused headaches) and all the literature says no harmful side affects known. The poppies are not true poppies, no opiates in them. Now, to find an affordable source, since unless I grow them in my yard, I can't pick them.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeDeeMay

Also, earlier last month I was diagnosed with Raynauds disease which affects my fingers, they get so painful when I'm not wearing gloves. My middle finger on my right hand is the worst one, it turns pure white and it's agony!
Surrounding you with healing prayers and vibes
One of my dearest friends suffers from Raynauds and it is so sad to see her suffer so, during an outbreak. And I know that it can be a precursor to lupus

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I had my right hip resurfaced, I could tell exactly 24 hours before any kind of storm! The surgery cleared that right up. But now the other hip and knee are doing the same thing. Oh well, it isn't as bad as the other!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lots of body pain and it's really worse when the weather changes.......it stinks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So many people

to everyone of you

One thing that has been my saving grace is having a hottub... it does help
We recieved a good payment when my back was declared permanent and bought the hottub. It helps alot...unfortunately within a an hour of getting out, it's back
But it's better than nothing
and one less painkiller to take.

One of my friends has Fibro... I had her over to use the tub and it helped it her so much... she went and got a gym membership where they have a hottub

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have arthritis and active inflammation, ice applied to the affected area is better than heat. Sometimes it's the only thing that can provide me with a bit of relief.

I've had pain with big weather changes all my life. When my back started getting worse around 13-14 it added itself to the mess. I take an NSAID, and in the winter try to stay warm since just getting cold causes my muscles to tense up and sets everything else off - fun side of this is that I'm cold intolerant and heat intolerant. Too cold I hurt and too warm and I'm at risk for fainting. No hot tubs for me ever unless there's a someone to hold me up after I stand.

I'm fairly lucky that I do not live somewhere that has higher humidity. Pressure drops here but unless there's a big front it's usually stable. And we don't have real winters anymore.

Those with or suspecting fibro should be checked for sleep apnea, btw. As should those with CFS - who should also be checked for problems with the autonomic nervous system.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

So many people

to everyone of you

One thing that has been my saving grace is having a hottub... it does help
We recieved a good payment when my back was declared permanent and bought the hottub. It helps alot...unfortunately within a an hour of getting out, it's back
But it's better than nothing
and one less painkiller to take.

One of my friends has Fibro... I had her over to use the tub and it helped it her so much... she went and got a gym membership where they have a hottub
I have been trying to convince Dh to get me a Hot tub. The neighbours let me use theirs. But it is 5 doors down.
last time I was really bad Dh drove me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If you have arthritis and active inflammation, ice applied to the affected area is better than heat. Sometimes it's the only thing that can provide me with a bit of relief.
I'm actually the opposite. I know, it doesn't make sense at all... heat usually makes inflammation worse. In my case, cold makes things worse
Figure that one out LOL...my DH says I'm just messed up physically. I've had EMG's and they'd had to place the sticky pads in different spots than normal because some of my nerves run differently. *shrug* I dunno. I just do what works for me.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, if it's changes that affect you, i wouldn't move here. we have a saying - if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes.
the same week we had 2 days off of school due to ice, we had 80 degree weather [days off were tuesday & wednesday - 80 degrees on friday
].
my migraines have a tendency to worsen w/weather changes.