Anyone have/had a cat with gingivitis?

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We took Morris to the vet a few days ago, because he was drooling (Really foul smelling drool too), he was losing weight, and his coat looked pretty dull and scruffy looking. I had checked his teeth, and one looked infected. It turns out he has gingivitis. Hes 8 years old. The vet gave him antibiotics, and he has his appetite back, hes even eating dry food now. His coat looks good again, and hes not drooling anymore.

Can it just go away? Will it come back? What happens when the antibiotics are gone? Is surgery something that he will have to have in the future?

I was told he would start losing teeth early..and probably have to eat mush food.

Just looking for advice, and knowledge of feline gingivitis.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Holly Golightly has gingivitis. The vet prescribed ClindaCure antibiotics, which worked for awhile. However, her breath stinks once again. She doesn't have all the other symptoms that Morris has though. Nonetheless, the vet wants Holly to have a dental appointment soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So it looks like it will be a reaccuring thing, that he will have to be on antibiotics for many times!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has gingivitis, but it's limited to some redness along the gumline. We are treating it by brushing his teeth and feeding Science Diet t/d (I'm better about the former than the latter; I usually just give a bit of the t/d as treats, because I prefer to feed other foods). Eventually he will probably have to have a dental cleaning.

It sounds as if your cat has a more advanced case. Did your vet recommend daily brushing or a cleaning after the antibiotic course is given? (Or I guess they gave him a cleaning when they extracted his tooth?) I don't know a lot about feline dental health, but my understanding is that it's important to manage the gingivitis so that it doesn't develop into the more serious periodontitis. That what my human dentist tells me, too!

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The thing is, his teeth don't have any tarter, and are very clean. I saw the gumline, and it was red and puffy (And kind of bubbly).

He didn't say anything about brushing his teeth. We are going to take him back aftr the antibiotics are gone, for a checkup, and to see if its gone..and what else can be done,,etc.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, it sounds as if gingivitis can appear in various forms then! In contrast, my cat does have some calculus/tartar and redness, but there are no other symptoms (e.g. drooling, bad breath, etc.) At least your vet will address your questions when you have your follow-up visit. Good luck to you and Morris!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For some cats, anti-biotics can keep it at bay awhile, but most need regular dental cleanings. For other cats - it can get so severe that dental extractions are required.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two with allergic gingivitis ... as long as they dont eat what they should not problem is solved, ie I avoid the known allergens and gum health is greatly improved

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what are they eating would be my first ?? and the IMHO easiest to fix if those are the allergies

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

what are they eating would be my first ?? and the IMHO easiest to fix if those are the allergies
I have a cat that has been having problems with teeth since last year, I did some antibiotics, dental cleaning, more antibiotics, he eats a ration of waltham dental in the mornings, gets some CET chews whenever he wants to have them... so he is been doing fine for almost a year now, I also added plaque-off since 5 months ago.

His gumline is still red but he has no problems eating, the vet says not to give him antibiotics untill he really hurts so he wont get used to it.

I never thought it could be allergies... how can I check that? blood tests? vet here is rural and does not have a lab so will be sent to human lab...unless i can talk him into sending the blood to athens ... what allergens are the most common in food that can cause gingivitis?

I always thought is because he is such a piggy and never chews his food, he only swalows and because the kibbles of the dental food are larger he is oblied to chew them ....

Besides the waltham Dental he eats orijen and an ocational treat of canned food.

Regards

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They eat Kirkland dry food (And from what I am aware wet doesn't cause allergies, they eat a lower quality canned food as kirkland doesn't make cat, and it would be extremely expensive to feed things like Chicken soup, wellness, innova canned for 23 cats plus fosters). BUT he does eat a lot at my next door neighbors house, and they feed their 11 cats crap foods such as Meow Mix, and Whiskas. So it could be the food he is eating over there that is causing the problem.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Oscar had bad gingivitis as a kitten, and we were able to knock it out entirely with a 4 month regime of Zithromax. It hasn't reoccurred.

Gingivitis doesn't always reoccur, but often it does. A good diet and regular dental care will help control the episodes.

And don't assume that if a cat has its teeth pulled that they will need a mushy food diet the rest of their lives. My Stumpy has had all of his teeth pulled and he still eats dry food. I give him wet, but he prefers dry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101

They eat Kirkland dry food (And from what I am aware wet doesn't cause allergies, they eat a lower quality canned food as kirkland doesn't make cat, and it would be extremely expensive to feed things like Chicken soup, wellness, innova canned for 23 cats plus fosters). BUT he does eat a lot at my next door neighbors house, and they feed their 11 cats crap foods such as Meow Mix, and Whiskas. So it could be the food he is eating over there that is causing the problem.
In my two cases both have grain and meat issues ... at my house NO wheat , corn , soy for both ... one no rice or grains of any kind... neither can have lamb and certain fishes

Artificial colors and flavors are common allergens and are common in lower end foods