New computer!!!!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its here!!!! I love my new Macbook pro so far! It is gorgeous and the backlit keyboard is so cool! I do have a question though...do I need an anti virus program?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Its here!!!! I love my new Macbook pro so far! It is gorgeous and the backlit keyboard is so cool! I do have a question though...do I need an anti virus program?
oooh, you got the FANCY one! <-----[that's me, green w/envy
] i'd've loved that one - that big screen, extra USB port...
i got an antivirus program online - don't think it has much to do, tho. most viruses are written for the windows platform.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on if you believe what McAfee and Symantec tell you - that there's a whole barrage of malware just waiting to infect your computer the second it's online and that you must hurry and buy their overpriced useless garbage.

Focus more on getting a firewall and not falling for tricks that makes one actually install malware onto their computers themselves.

I have about as much chance as getting a virus as Mac users do - I don't run anything and don't plan to anytime soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a firewall through the wireless network. Do I need another one? Also, how do I view programs in fullscreen mode instead of half-size? I know it is silly, but I love the way they package stuff. It is very sleek and modern.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean the windows. I have Safari open, but I can see my wallpaper on either side of it because it isn't in fullscreen apparently, but I don't know how to change that.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I figure out more about it, I will hook up the camera and show everyone the pics of the cat wall Hubby and I made.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I mean the windows. I have Safari open, but I can see my wallpaper on either side of it because it isn't in fullscreen apparently, but I don't know how to change that.
well, if clicking the plus button doesn't work, you can try this: drag the Safari window to the upper left corner [click & drag from the top edge]. once that side is where you want it, click & drage the lower right corner [it should have a little 'triangle' made of lines] & that should enlarge the window.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

When I figure out more about it, I will hook up the camera and show everyone the pics of the cat wall Hubby and I made.
do you mean download the pix from your camera?
if so, it's really easy - just connect your camera to one of the USB ports, & the computer will guide you thru the rest.
the pix will be stored in your iPhoto folder - you can access iPhoto by clicking on the camera-looking icon on the dock.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

well, if clicking the plus button doesn't work, you can try this: drag the Safari window to the upper left corner [click & drag from the top edge]. once that side is where you want it, click & drage the lower right corner [it should have a little 'triangle' made of lines] & that should enlarge the window.
Right on! That worked!!! Thanks

Originally Posted by laureen227

do you mean download the pix from your camera?
if so, it's really easy - just connect your camera to one of the USB ports, & the computer will guide you thru the rest.
the pix will be stored in your iPhoto folder - you can access iPhoto by clicking on the camera-looking icon on the dock.
I would like to put the Data card from the camera into the computer, but I am not sure if I have a slot for that yet. I have a really odd looking flap that might be hiding that slot, but am not sure yet.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If not, just get a cheap USB card reader for it.

I'm not sure why anyone would want the window to whatever program they're using taking up the whole screen? BUT, I have five desktops I like to easily be able to hop through (scrolling on my wallpaper switches desktops). As you learn your way around your OS more, you may find different ways of using things are easier - once you're used to them.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I'm not sure why anyone would want the window to whatever program they're using taking up the whole screen?
probably a visual thing. i prefer for the browser window to take up the whole screen, as well. seeing the wallpaper around it is visually distracting for me.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to be focused in on one thing at a time. If someone wants to talk to me, I can't have music on at the same time or I can't focus on the person talking. If I have things going on beside my browser or whatever program I am using, then I am distracted. Multitasking is not for me.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Multitasking is not for me.
I'm the opposite. I can't focus on just one thing. The other day I was on the phone, screwing something together, had something on the stove cooking, and was watching Sherman playing in the middle of the kitchen (while trying not to laugh on the phone).

Same thing with computer use - listening to music, skimming forums/posting while going back and forth to an IM conversation, and talking to DH at the same time.

With the way I have everything set up, if I maximize a window I cannot do anything else till I minimize it again. When everything I need is accessed by right or left clicking the background or via terminal I simply can't maximize anything - I turned off all of my bars and pager modules, too. I've never really been let at a mac long enough to find out where everything is if you're not using any annoying bars. If those can't be turned off or a different manager used I probably wouldn't use one for long anyways. Someday I do hope to have enough time to break a mac os - you can't appreciate an os till you do.
(opposed to Windows which comes broken by default - no sport there)

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a firewall through the wireless network. Do I need another one? Also, how do I view programs in fullscreen mode instead of half-size? I know it is silly, but I love the way they package stuff. It is very sleek and modern.
Actually, you already have another one
Leopard has an application firewall. Just open "system preferences", click "security", and you'll see the firewall tab at the top. From there, you can set up the firewall however you like.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree with Laureen. One of my friends used to work for Apple, and he said there really isn't an anti-virus program for an Apple computer b/c all of the viruses out there are for a pc and don't affect Apples. If you want me to, I can ask him, though. He told me that a long while ago, so things may have changed.

Congrats on your new 'puter!! I'm jealous!! Macs are preferred by photographers.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norton is a great tool to have for Apple - not too good for windows, but for macs it's great... You got a great computer there - I miss my mac!!!

Here is the link for it - Even though the chances of you getting a virus on a mac are small, you still should have an internet security software.