do you have "chavs" in the USA?

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im not sure if this is a british only thing, but i hope its not only us who are becoming overrun with them in the uk?

for example the people im talking about are usually between 12 and 30, wear all the high street designer stuff all the time, often with a bit of sports wesr thrown in for good measure. another popular one with them is burbery stuff, from hats to bags etc. loads of gold chains (bigger the better) girls wear massive hoop earrings, guys wear soverigns etc.

aditionally to this you have the gangs of kids hanging around on street corners wearing hoodies and hiding their faces. they are sometimes refered to as "hoodies" or "asbo's", "yobs"here. oh and did i mention they have usually got a chip on their shoulder, and some serious attitude to go with it?

its not these things singularly that make you a chav its when its all together.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think every area has its versions of chavs. What you described sounds like what I have heard called the "hip-hop" culture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah i agree i think thats where allot of it stems from here, but i dont think its about what music they seem to like, i think its just a way of life for them.

they do all tend to talk in a certain way too which preobably is also "hip-hop" inspired.

where i live there never used to be any of these sort, but over the last few years they seems to be getting closer and closer! itsa like a chav invasion!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Between my friends and I we call them Tools. Normally they are just trying to look cool and are making complete
of themselves in the process. LOL

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Between my friends and I we call them Tools. Normally they are just trying to look cool and are making complete
of themselves in the process. LOL
i couldnt agree more, its a real big culture here, i cant stand them!

i went into birmingham today (about 10 miles from me) and there you see all kinds of people, but not so many chavs for a change.

i think its great to see young people (like me lol) dressing a little different. its only in the last few years that teens have started listening to proper bands and rock music, and i think its great to see them dress to fit in with that, i was always into live music so i always dressed in my own style, but its good to see others doing the same, as i think chavs seem to put presseure (at school and college etc) on everyone else to be like them? if that makes sense?

hurray for people who think for themselves!

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We live near a whole bunch of chavs, they terrorise the area. Last year the under 18s were given a curfew which worked brilliantly however we still get our fair share of trouble makers who start fires etc. At one point we could not walk up the road to the local shop because of huge gangs of lads, we called the police on them when they started attacking us and our dog with glass bottles - it was a frightening time. They even overturned a car when somebody was delivering a take-away, the poor guy had to run for it.

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what can i say, they are scum in my opinion!
these people are like a whole sub-culture, they are below working class, they are the underclass. i dont want to sound like a moaning old so-and-so, but i think these people just show the break down of modern society,

im moving to america!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jezmondo69

what can i say, they are scum in my opinion!
these people are like a whole sub-culture, they are below working class, they are the underclass. i dont want to sound like a moaning old so-and-so, but i think these people just show the break down of modern society,

im moving to america!
Umm I am American and below working class
I'm downright poor!

Here, you see rich kids behaving in such a manner as well as poor kids. We're equal opportunity
Poor kids have a tougher time affording all the bling and labels.

wearymicrobe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jupeycat

We live near a whole bunch of chavs, they terrorise the area. Last year the under 18s were given a curfew which worked brilliantly however we still get our fair share of trouble makers who start fires etc. At one point we could not walk up the road to the local shop because of huge gangs of lads, we called the police on them when they started attacking us and our dog with glass bottles - it was a frightening time. They even overturned a car when somebody was delivering a take-away, the poor guy had to run for it.
Rant On

This is what you guys get for a nanny state that takes away police officers weapons and try to talk everything out instead of taking any sort of auction. Add into that a age group with entitlement issues and you are going to have problems.

Rant OFF.

If a group like that went after someone here in the states they would be shot or dispersed by force by the population or the local/state police. Heck the gangs we have out here at least have a respect for people in the neighborhoods that they live in, not the police.

Out in California we have the "flat billers", guys and girls in that age group decked out in full gear with the requisite baseball cap still with the stickers on it from the shop with no curve in the brim. Always starting trouble, but never in the open.

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
to be fair to the "chavs" they arnt all bad people, allot of them are innocent other than crimes to fashion!

but equally, any time you see young people in trouble on the local news, they always ahow you a picture of them and aure enough they are chavs!

not that long ago a bunch of chavs beat a girl to death here in the uk as she walked through a park, just because she was dressed like an EMO? thats just stupid!

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jezmondo69

not that long ago a bunch of chavs beat a girl to death here in the uk as she walked through a park, just because she was dressed like an EMO? thats just stupid!
Yeah and that scares me as it could've been me or others that look a little different. I've been shouted at for having dark purple hair and my partner for having a beard and a ponytail, he's also had stones thrown at him. It makes me very sad.

RIP Sophie Lancaster.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are bored, immature young people with too much time on their hands and not enough to do that is contructive. They should be made to perform community service, helping at animal shelters, picking up trash, etc. Teach them some respect for other people and people's belonging that they obviously didn't get in their homes.

Or the community should find a way to employ them... some of the problems with kids here is lack of work... so they get into trouble.

By the way, Jezmondo - what is an EMO?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

By the way, Jezmondo - what is an EMO?
This should help: http://www.luv-emo.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo

We have alot of them here, but ours tend to self mutilate for the fun of it. They believe that cutting oneself is fun, and makes them cool and popular.

(I'm overly sensitive on that one, as I self mutilated for years. Not for attention, but because I would rather feel physical pain than emotional. I did public speaking on this topic, as well as depression, abuse, and the like. Now it angers me so, to see the kids doing it just for kicks. )

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

We have alot of them here, but ours tend to self mutilate for the fun of it. They believe that cutting oneself is fun, and makes them cool and popular.
I think that's a misinterpretation. The Emo subculture is derived from a particular sub-genre of alternative music, and the fashion that goes along with it. It has nothing to do with self mutilation. Teenage angst, yes. Cutting, no.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

I think that's a misinterpretation. The Emo subculture is derived from a particular sub-genre of alternative music, and the fashion that goes along with it.
I think it depends on where you are in the world
I'm speaking from my own experiences of the teens local to me and what they believe EMO means. My sis is 15, and she and I are very close. Around here Emo is not just a music and fashion stance, they are heavily involved with self mutilation as well.