To our friends in the Land of Oz (Australia)

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
25 people confirmed dead so far - Luckily the fires are not in my State, but I have family living in Melbourne and the fires in Victoria are just unprecidented.

Everyone think cool vibes and rain vibes.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw the breaking news here - my thoughts are with everyone in Victoria. Those who are in Victoria - hope you can check in and let us know that you are okay.

The heatwave from Australia is expected to hit us today, so hopefully the same thing doesn't happen to us. This arvo is meant to hit 36.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine in Victoria has been told by the fire fighters if it comes her way she's got no way out, her only hope is jumping into the dam leaving her horses and cats
I'm waiting to her how she is today, since I think the fires came close.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

A friend of mine in Victoria has been told by the fire fighters if it comes her way she's got no way out, her only hope is jumping into the dam leaving her horses and cats
I'm waiting to her how she is today, since I think the fires came close.
Can't she leave earlier? I really hope it doesn't come her way!!!!!!!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, we've been hearing about the Aussie fires on the news, too, and thinking of our friends in Victoria. Sending manymany that you are staying safe.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

How is everyone???? I'm seeing these terrible stories about ragiing and deadly wildfires... so I hope all our good TCS friends and everyone they care about are OK!

Oh - and good that things calm down there!

photos:
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Wildfi.../020709ausfire

story and video:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_austra...RhHv7zcONsaMYA
Thanks Addee. I've been at Tristans house for the weekend, and he lives in one of the areas where 4 people were killed, including a family friend, we only found out a few hours ago. I live about half an hour from him and the reports of embers were luckily a few km away from my own house.

The last 24 hrs have been exhausting. We were literally surrounded by glowing mountains through the night, and the closest fire in this area was about 1km. I was freaking out but very calmly lol. The wind kept changing so one minute we'd smell smoke, then nothing, and back again. There are still reports of small fires around here but they seem to be in control. Atm is is cold, half the temp it was yesterday and the mountains are covered in smoke. I usually go home Sunday, but there are many blocked off roads between here and my house, so i'm staying an extra day and hoping things will be better tomorrow.

I think they said this is the worst day we've had since 1939, some 70 years since other large fires occured.

The death toll is about 25 confirmed, possibly up to 40. This is in one day! I wish i lived somewhere snowy.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was stuck in the city for three hours and not being able to go home as all trains were cancelled

I worked in 46 degree heat, i do not understand people who still sit outside to eat!

There was a fire right near one of the stations out where I live, by the time i got home our whole area was covered in smoke then it rained!
I hope that helped put out some of the fires

Yesterday it was 46 degrees, and today its only 23. SILLY MELBOURNE WEATHER!

last i heard they are still putting out the fires in the eastern suburbs I hope everyone there is okay!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

but there are many blocked off roads between here and my house
I've heard road closures have caused problems for people trying to get out, I still can't contact my friend and have heard another has lost her husband and some cats

It was reported that because of the speed of this fire that even people who have a plan had no time to implement it

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is all so scary, I think it's going to rival the Ash Wednesday fires
We were in Canberra for the bushfires back in.... '03? They were scary enough.

I hope the heat and winds break, and give the firefighters a chance. It's crazy that there's severe flooding up north, and deadly fires and drought down south.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of us check into the DSE and CFA sites for that info as well Sarah.

The toll is now up to 65 and is said to go into triple figures when more places can be accessed.

Missymotus, is your friends name Annie by any chance? You were talking about your friends plan to jump into her dam, there was a woman on the news with her hubby talking about that.

I hope i can go home tomorrow =(

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I've heard road closures have caused problems for people trying to get out, I still can't contact my friend and have heard another has lost her husband and some cats

It was reported that because of the speed of this fire that even people who have a plan had no time to implement it
Were they the Birman breeders? My friend Cheryle Uren told us about the Birman breeders hubby who died in Bendigo

I don't know if you know also one of the breeders from Melbourne was lucky to have escaped with dozens of cats - some of them were put into an underground wine cellar while the fire ripped over the top.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The A/P headline this morning is 84 killed so far....
what a devastating tragedy for the humans, animals and the land.

Animal shelters and people who rescue are going to be inundated with lost and injured pets.
They are going to need all the help that they can get.

My thoughts are with all who are being affected by this terrible conflagration.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
46* C???? Yikes.. that's 115 degrees Fahrenheit! That's middle of summer in Arizona hot!

My warm wishes, prayers and condolences go to everyone impacted by these fires. I had read that some might have been deliberately set!

If that is so, I hope they catch those people!

Property can be replaced. Human and animal life....

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I don't know if you know also one of the breeders from Melbourne was lucky to have escaped with dozens of cats - some of them were put into an underground wine cellar while the fire ripped over the top.
Thank you for sharing a sliver of good news among the horrific stories resulting from this tragedy

My prayers and vibes for safety, calm winds, lower temperatures and rain are going out to all the Australians everywhere
Growing up in my area of California, the Australians were always held in great regard. Some of our local WWII vets here worked alongside them, and many Australian hardrock miners relocated here, until the mine closed in 1982.....This is such a tragedy

I am also praying that God stops the arsonist(s) immediately and permanently