What type of fish do you like to eat and how do you prepare it?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of stuck in a salmon rut and thought I would experiment with others!

I marinade salmon in a teriyake sauce then bake it or brush with olive oil and season it them bake it. In the summer I'll cook it on the firepit.

Once in a while I buy whitefish-mainly at the farmers market this fish is caught either in Lake Michigan or Lake Superior. Once again I bake it.

If I want to splurge and if I can find it I'll buy a small piece of Chilean Sea Bass but it has to be cooked that day or the next as I've had it have a funny ammonia taste.

Cod/haddock once in a while but since its frozen I don't know how well its been handled.

Lake perch the staple fish of Wisconsin Friday night fish frys is available in stores but I would rather enjoy it at a restaurant!! The same with walleye!

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tilapia?? is yummy!! with some olive oil and a lil bit of lemon (w/ salt pepper and some garliuc powder) and cook on a grill ( or a george foreman type) it is delicious

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a huge fish fan. My father was a avid fisherman and when I was growing up we lived on pan-fried, pickerel, trout, bass and perch. So as I got older I developed a taste more for salt-water fish.

Two of my favorites are Haddock, and Sole.

With haddock I usually prepare it two ways, either traditional fish and chips style with a thick batter, in a deep fryer. Or my healthier version done with a egg wash, seasoned bread crumbs then baked.

The batter I use for the deep-fried is so easy. 1.5 cups of flour, 1.5 tablespoons baking powder, salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoons Cream of tarter.
Add enough water to give it the consistency of pancake batter.
Pat dry the fish, dredge it in flour then dip in batter. Then slowly add it to the oil that has been heated to 380F.

Sole I will occasionally pan-fry but more often I will take the fillet and stuff it with a mixture of cooked white rice, chopped chives, lemon juice salt and pepper. Then bake it in the oven at 350 until it flakes.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like salmon, arctic char, haddock, mahi mahi, tilapia, and many others. I season the filet very simply w/salt and pepper. Chop some onions, garlic, and veggies (bell peppers, mushrooms, corn, whatever I have around). Put veggies in baking dish w/a drizzle of olive oil, place fish on top. Cover with foil and bake at 375 F for 20 min or so- depends on size of filet and how soft you like your veggies. Serve w/a lemon wedge and rice (or potatoes or garlic bread). YUM

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a really good tuna recipe the other day. Here's the recipe:

I made this recipe with regular old extra virgin olive oil substituted for all the oil in the recipe, the reason it asks for peanut oil is because it can burn at a higher degree for longer. I put my comments in italics.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup black sesame seeds
1/3 cup sesame I just used black sesame seeds because I couldn't afford both and I didn't measure anything, I just sprinkled a few on to the tuna and I salt the fish before I did the seeds.
4 (1 1/2 pounds) tuna steaks
2 tablespoons peanut oil
4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar I didn't use sugar, it tasted fine
4 cups mesclun greens These are just mixed greens, I don't know why they didn't just say that, but any kind of lettuce or spinach or whatever you have on hand would work.

Directions:
On a large sheet of wax paper, combine the sesame seeds I salted the tuna before putting on the seeds Coat each tuna steak with the seeds, pressing the seeds into the fish with the heel of your hand.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the peanut oil for 2 minutes. Add the tuna and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side, depending on how well done you like your fish. Transfer the tuna to a cutting board to rest.
In a small bowl, whisk together the rice wine vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce and sugar. Set aside.
Place the mesclun greens in a large bowl; add the dressing and toss to coat. Arrange the dressed greens in the middle of individual plates. Slice the tuna diagonally and fan out the slices on top of the greens. After you slice the tuna, if it's too pink for your liking just throw them back on the frying pan, it'll probably still be warm enough Serve immediately.

I really liked this, it had a very different flavor. I wish I could have used the sesame oil and the peanut oil, but it was a little expensive, especially for this one meal. If you try it out let me know what you think!!

layitdown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not a huge fish fan, but I do eat it on occassion.

I like tilapia, baked with olive oil and lemon pepper, yummy!
Fried tilapia is good too.
I LOVE fried flounder!

And I've been craving just regular ol' tuna for the past 3 days.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My absolute favorite is Wahoo, but I haven't seen it for sale around here...and I doubt I ever will! I like tilapia, Mahi-Mahi, catfish, and salmon but I'll try anything (except blowfish!). I normally just pan fry it with lemon pepper seasoning. Ruby Tuesday's used to have an oriental Salmon dinner and they used a spicy peanut glaze for the salmon and it was incredible!! I would LOVE to get that receipe since they took it off their menu.

Many nights, DH will grill a steak and I'll fix myself some fish. I'll take fish over steak almost any day.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mmm, that tuna recipe sounds yummy!

I prefer sea fish to lake/river fish, probably because I grew up in New Zealand. I love salmon and mahi mahi, they're my two standbys for quick easy meals. I usually just thaw out frozen fillets and pan fry in herbed butter and olive oil.
The fish I eat most: salmon, mahi mahi, cod, haddock, tilapia. When I can get it: orange roughy and monkfish. I've been put off after visiting the Monterey Aquarium where they list the fish species that are over-fished.

I love making old fashioned beer battered fish and chips, and tempura fried pieces of fish.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We eat a lot of seafood here!

whole salmon drizzled with butter and lemon and BBQ'd (my favorite)

smoked salmon in spring rolls

salmon rubbed with lemon zest and cracked pepper and sea salt, seared in olive oil and sprinkled with parsley, served with lemon wedges

snapper soaked in milk then coated in oats* and sea salt, pepper, and paprika, drizzled with butter and baked (*whole oats pulverized in the blender so it's like flour)

basa fillets au gratin: fillets baked in a bÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]chamel sauce to which you've added grated sharp cheddar

I'll post again when I think of more.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer a lighter flavored fish (perch, cod, orange roughy) over the stronger flavored fish (tuna, salmon.) I'll eat it any way it's served! Friday night lake perch fish fry, baked with lemon and dill, or broiled/grilled with olive oil and garlic or dill. I don't like to cook fish, but when I eat out, it's either chicken or fish.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't eat anything that lives in the water.

I can't even go in a seafood restaurant because of the smell
When Doug cooks fish, I make him open the windows and turn on fans even if its cold

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

smoked salmon in spring rolls
Oh, a friend of mine when I lived in Guam made the BEST smoked tuna! I'm not sure if your smoked salmon is the same, but her's turned out almost like "fish-jerky"...not quite as tough as beef jerky but definitely firm, with a hickory taste. She used to bring a bowl full into work sometimes for a snack and believe me, you couldn't eat just one.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sea fish...Halibut

Lake/river fish...CATFISH!!! Little lemon juice and a little pepper, wrapped up in alum. foil and baked!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot a few oddities.

Next week starts sturgeon spearing on Lake Winnebago here in Wisconsin.
For those who don't know here that is-if you look at a map of Wisconsin and see a really large lake on the east side of Wisconsin thats it! Its a hugh sport for the brief season every year. People cut this huge hole in the ice and use a large 3-4 point spear -the fish are enormous-over 5 ft long and weigh-well alot. My dad would go sturgeon fishing in Canada and big back the fillets which would be over 3 feet long then have them smoked. Can't remember the taste though as the only smoked fish I eat nowadays is either salmon or whitefish.

The other very small fish one catches in early spring are smelt. We could dip net smelt in ditches that run into rivers. Catch and have to clean a washtub full. They are very small as I said- maybe 4 inches long. They a tiring task to clean then fried. Don't miss that at all even though there are smelt frys -kind of like the fried perch dinners that one can eat at in the spring.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fried crappie is divine, especially when fresh caught. It has the nickname of "bread-and-butter" fish for good reason.

I like grilled salmon and swordfish with a nice lemon-butter. I like cod baked and fried flounder.

I don't like catfish (except to catch).

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We love fish, and eat it fairly frequently, especially when we can put salmon on the BBQ.

But another favourite is panfried sole fillets. I try to get fairly thin ones -- they're so sweet and delicate -- and season with anise and freshly ground black pepper and dredge in flour, then fry quickly in butter. They spend no more than a minute or so on each side. When all the fillets are cooked, I add a little more butter to the pan, sprinkle in some tarragon and stir a moment, then add a good splash of vermouth to deglaze the pan. Reduce that a little and drizzle a little over each fillet.

When Meyer lemons are available (they are around right now) I warm a couple of thin slices per serving in the tarragon butter -- it's OK if they brown just a bit -- and garnish each serving before deglazing the pan, and then use the juice from the lemons as part of the deglazing liquid.

Meyer lemons (for anyone not familiar with them) are sweeter than regular ones, have a thin tender skin and are quite juicy. The thin slices used as garnish are quite edible, quite lovely. They can be pricey, but they're only available for a short time and are a nice little treat. If Meyers are not available, I just leave the lemon out.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
orange roughy is my favorite. We are lucky to live next to a fish market that prepares speciality fish for us
Coconut crusted mahi mahi, almond crusted trout, spicy style tailapa (sp???), potato cod, they are always coming up with delicious all natural flavors on their fish.
We use different kinds to make sushi rolls s that might be a change from your normal salmon. Also, try fish tacos. They are so yummy. And you can also make a fish sandwich that is pretty delicious. And crab cakes are good as well as a stuffed crab salad.