Jake will not use his enclosed litter box!!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got it for him hoping to put an end to all that tracking litter all over the house. But he ends up playing in it!! I don't understand. I put it right next to his old litter box and I am going to stop cleaning the old one and hopefully his instinct to eliminate in a clean place will help...What do you think? Is this a smart idea to do? Or will he just find another spot to use as a toilet when I stop cleaning his old litter box...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you remove the lid? Try removing it, to get him used to it open first, then close it after a little while. He probably thinks it's a new hiding space...

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave up on those a long time ago - too hard to clean and keep smelling fresh. Maybe just take the door off [if there is one] some kitties find that hard to get used to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to try to take off the lid first...I just hate all the tracking thats why I am trying this...

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to take the door/flap thingy off of all of my enclosed boxes!otherwise they wouldn't use them

poppy0109

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about trying a taller open box? My mom's friend bought one of those big storage tubs and uses it as a litter box. And/or you could put up a screen. I made a screen with two pieces of plywood and secured them together with L-brackets and the screen was L-shaped. I put the litter box in a corner and put the screen up so there were two small entrances for him to go in and out of. It contained the litter well...of course there was still some that followed him out on his paws.

I've read that covered boxes can be uncomfortable for cats. They might feel too cramped and don't feel they have enough room to go to the bathroom in it and a covered box also contains the stinky smells which a cat might not like either.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats simply don't like closed boxes. I have some of each (open and closed), and they prefer the open ones. And I don't think closed boxes eliminate tracking - they just take it out the front rather than all sides.

You can try the side by side test. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He peed twice in it. I got rid of the door, i think that will help a lot. I dunno what to do with the old box which is not very high and thats the only problem that I have with it. I got it for him when he was little so he can easily jump in...I paid $10 for it lol, I got ripped off at pet supermarket, they have the exact same ones at wal mart for $3. I guess i will throw it away, as much as it would hurt me to.

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats feel too confined in that kind of box. They also contain the smell, which is nice for you, but not pleasant for the cat.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

He peed twice in it. I got rid of the door, i think that will help a lot. I dunno what to do with the old box which is not very high and thats the only problem that I have with it. I got it for him when he was little so he can easily jump in...I paid $10 for it lol, I got ripped off at pet supermarket, they have the exact same ones at wal mart for $3. I guess i will throw it away, as much as it would hurt me to.
Bleach out the box and donate it to a shelter.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well cleaning it would help with the smell I think. It only smells if there is poop in there and I usually scoop it out as soon as Jake poops cuz I dont like having cat poop in my room.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Bleach out the box and donate it to a shelter.
Thanks for the advice!! I thought of that but I wasn't sure if it wouldn't be too weird lol now that you suggested it it doesn't seem as weird to me

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another suggestion is to sanitize it and keep it. When Zoey got sick, she was too weak to climb into her covered box, so I had to buy her a regular kitten one that was as low as possible for her to step into.

That said, I think donating it is a great idea! You just may need another one in the future (hopefully that's never the case!)