Lots of questions about showing Household Pets

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I started researching cat shows when several people told me that Lion would be a good cat to show as a Household Pet. Lion has found a new home, but I'm still interested in the possibility for some of my other kitties.

I attended a CFA show and was able to talk to a judge and a couple of the organizers to get some information. I've checked out the CFA and TICA websites, read the rules and entry forms, etc. but I still have some questions.

Is there a limit on the number of cats you can enter? Shareena and Miss Patchwillow are both gorgeous cats IMHO
but I don't think they'd do well in a show. When Shareena is done with being handled she lets you know by biting and Miss Patchwillow is a scaredycat. She'd go nuts in a show hall. That leaves Goldy, Iris, and Cali.

Assuming I can enter three cats, would I be able to have all of them in the same cage? I know I would have to pay for bench space for each of them, just wondered if it would have to be three separate cages.

One of the rules said a cat bed is required in the cage. Does it need to be a regular bed, or could I use a folded up blanket? My kitties don't have their own beds, they sleep on mine.

Would I be able to put up a sign saying the kitties are available for adoption? On at least one of the entry forms I saw a place to request a sale cage. Is this for breeders only, or could I advertize for adoption?

Do I have to register my cats with CFA or TICA in advance? I'm confused on this, especially for TICA. It looks like I either need a registration number or a pending number, I'm just not sure how to go about getting this.

There is a TICA show in April and a CFA show in June, both in Tucson which would work for me because I have family there. The TICA show is three days. Since it would be the first show for both me and my kitties, would it be better to take them for just one or two days, or should I go ahead and plan for all three days?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I will help with things that are the same here in NZ

Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I started researching cat shows when several people told me that Lion would be a good cat to show as a Household Pet. Lion has found a new home, but I'm still interested in the possibility for some of my other kitties.

I attended a CFA show and was able to talk to a judge and a couple of the organizers to get some information. I've checked out the CFA and TICA websites, read the rules and entry forms, etc. but I still have some questions.

Is there a limit on the number of cats you can enter? Shareena and Miss Patchwillow are both gorgeous cats IMHO
but I don't think they'd do well in a show. When Shareena is done with being handled she lets you know by biting and Miss Patchwillow is a scaredycat. She'd go nuts in a show hall. That leaves Goldy, Iris, and Cali.

There is no limit to how many you can enter here in NZ. At the end of the day you're paying the big money to enter them, so we don't mind.

Assuming I can enter three cats, would I be able to have all of them in the same cage? I know I would have to pay for bench space for each of them, just wondered if it would have to be three separate cages.

One of the rules said a cat bed is required in the cage. Does it need to be a regular bed, or could I use a folded up blanket? My kitties don't have their own beds, they sleep on mine.

Here in NZ the rule states "Bedding is required" meaning there must be something for the kitties to sleep on - it doesn't have to be a kitty bed - a folded up blanket would do fine.

Would I be able to put up a sign saying the kitties are available for adoption? On at least one of the entry forms I saw a place to request a sale cage. Is this for breeders only, or could I advertize for adoption?

Can't really comment on this one as we don't have sale cages at our shows in NZ but you would probably have to ask permission to put a sign up.

Do I have to register my cats with CFA or TICA in advance? I'm confused on this, especially for TICA. It looks like I either need a registration number or a pending number, I'm just not sure how to go about getting this.

There is a TICA show in April and a CFA show in June, both in Tucson which would work for me because I have family there. The TICA show is three days. Since it would be the first show for both me and my kitties, would it be better to take them for just one or two days, or should I go ahead and plan for all three days?
Hope this helps a little bit.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Answering on the CFA side of things:

There is no limit to the number of cats you enter unless the show count has been reached.

Yes, you can but you'll still pay for 3 entries. I do not recommend 3 cats in a cage however, IMO 3 cats in two cages is fine, depending of course on size of cats and cages.

Any form of bedding is appropriate - even if it's just a blanket.

For CFA shows you have to request for sales cages unless the cat is entered in the show as a competitor, then, all you have to do is put up a sign.

No registration is required for HHP in CFA. I believe you can register an HHP in TICA since they have annual awards for HHPs.

There is a TICA show in April and a CFA show in June, both in Tucson which would work for me because I have family there. The TICA show is three days. Since it would be the first show for both me and my kitties, would it be better to take them for just one or two days, or should I go ahead and plan for all three days?[/quote]

If it's your very first show I don't recommend a 3 day show. First shows can be very very exhausting. Make sure you take the Monday off so that you can recuperate!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

I would only show the ones that you feel will do the best - you don't want the cat to be biting the judges! The only limit is your pocketbook. I've seen some people with 6-7 entries - they must be nutz

Technically you get 1/2 cage per cat - so if showing 3 cats you would have one double cage and one single cage all together. Up to you if you want to decorate 2 cages or one. Because this is a first show for you all, I'd set up both cages in case you need to separate one of the cats.

Use a few towels and roll them up to form a bed. Must be TICA with the bed rule, cause its not in CFA or ACFA that you have to have one. You can always bring some extra money and buy a cat bed at the show.

Technically the breeders are the ones with "sale" cages. I would not really advertise as such but have a small sign saying "ask about adoption" and put it on the cage.

Unless you will be showing a lot and want to earn titles/points, then you don't have to register HHP's.

That's why I don't like TICA - IMO 3 days of showing in a row is too much on cats - even seasoned ones. I think I would pick out a one day show and see how everyone takes to showing. Ling went in 3 rings (out of 6) before she decided she hates cat shows (we pulled her from the other 3). Had she been entered for 3 day show, I'd be a bit upset on losing the money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks for all the information. Sorry I didn't get back to update you all. Unfortunately, it looks like I may not be able to show any cats this year. The TICA show in April is out. Another organization I belong to changed the spring meeting to the same weekend. Since I'm primarily responsible for the registration that day I guess I'd better show up there.

The CFA show in June is still listed as "planned" rather than "licensed" so don't know if that's going to be a possibility.

The next show that's close enough for me to attend without taking time off work will be in December.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You ask how many cats.

As a beginner you should have maximum 2. Unless you have a experienced and helpful mentor with you.