Picking up cats from cargo?

dprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am (finally, yay!!) getting two of my girls here on Monday. They are being shipped here via cargo; does anyone have tips to share about receving/picking up cats that they've had shipped? Thanks in advance.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arrive about 1/2 hour before they are due into cargo. And be sure to know WHERE to pick them up. Its not at the same place that people and luggage come thru. So call the specific airlines and find out where to pick up the cat.

Usually you have to pay for the cat when it arrives. Breeders ship COD - you pay when you pick up the cat.

Jack will be shipped sometime next month and we'll have to find out the airline and where to be to pick him up.

Its not hard, and just get them in the car and settled and head home. They might be a bit shy or upset (most really are not) till they adjust to you and the new home.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cleo I picked up at the Sacramento Airport.
Make sure the kittens are on the plane.
Get a email from the breeder as soon as they are on the plane.
I would get to the airport early.
I had to wait 30 minutes after Cleo landed to get her.
We parked and waited.
I sent the breeder the money first.
It was easy.
We gave the breeder a choice of 4 airports also.
My husband use to work at sfo.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations - I imagine it's totally different from here in NZ so I will not post any advice about that but what breed are you getting?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm getting ragdolls.
I'm a new breeder, and these two girls are coming from my mentor. Thanks so much for the advice and tips. Mew - I'm also picking up my girls from Sacramento. I can't wait!!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What airline is the breeder using?
I bet you can not wait to get your kittens.
Is it a direct flight?
Cleo stopped in Houston ad got to Sacramento 30 minutes late.
It was really wasy.
Before we left to go get Cleo I tracked her flights.
My friend is a Ragdoll breeder in New Jersy but i can not find her anymore.
My sister is getting a kitten shipped but we do not know if it will be Sac or Sfo.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dprince

I'm getting ragdolls.
I'm a new breeder, and these two girls are coming from my mentor. Thanks so much for the advice and tips. Mew - I'm also picking up my girls from Sacramento. I can't wait!!
Where are they coming from? I had a Ragdoll shipped from Maine to Colorado and he did very well. Typically you go to a hanger totally separated from the airport where the FedEx, and etc planes unload their cargo.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, congrats on your new girls!

Second, I'm also intrested in info on successfully shipping live cats as my kitty must come home to live with me in the States when I leave Japan (probably before as there is a pet embargo here in Okinawa from 5/1 to 10/1 everyyear on account of the heat. How do you set up shipping and what to do when the cat arrives, cost etc...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When going internationally it's usually easier to use a pet transport company, that way they keep track of all the paperwork.

I have no idea on cost from Japan-US, but UK-Aus is around $4000

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

When going internationally it's usually easier to use a pet transport company, that way they keep track of all the paperwork.

I have no idea on cost from Japan-US, but UK-Aus is around $4000
Eeek!... I don't think I can afford that. I was hoping for about $400-$500. Is it different if they go on the flight with you? All I know is that Japn doesn't allow pets in cabin with you.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say that Goldenkitty gave great advice about calling ahead to verify the pick-up location.

Someone I know just flew back to the US after living in Europe for a while (her three pets flew in cargo). When she finally arrived at her destination, it took her quite a while to figure out where her pets were, and she was pretty upset. (They're all fine, but there seems to have been some miscommunication regarding where the animals were being held.) Fortunately, it doesn't sound as if your cats are flying in to the airport my friend used!

dprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The girls are coming from NY. They stop in Atlanta (I think) and then it's a direct flight here. They are flying on Delta.

I actually live pretty close to Sac, so I'm familiar with the Sac airport - but not cargo. I looked up the address on google and on Delta's site, so if I understand correctly, the cargo area is over by the B terminal? Mew, if you have any tips for me - I'd definitely appreciate it.
This is so scary and exciting all at the same time, KWIM?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dprince will not have any problems picking the kittens up.
I picked Cleo up from the same airport.
We checked the flight status.
Your breeder will send a confirmation number.

dprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It should be OK, but I'm just trying to be prepared.
I have the airbill number already, and I'm sure I'll be chatting with my mentor on Monday anyway. I'll track the flights and make sure it's all good. *crosses fingers*

I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks again for all the tips and support!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Super exciting! You know we need pictures of course!

Reminds me of when I picked up Smudge. I stayed parked and let him out of the carrier to explore the inside of the car for a bit and stretch his legs. To this DAY, he absolutely LOVES the car. Not riding in it, but he often "asks" me to let him in the garage so he can go "play" in my car!