DH may lose his job

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If you could keep your fingers crossed for us, we'd appreciate it.

DH is a trucker. In the 11 years in which he has done this type of job, he has not had a work-related accident. Until Tuesday. And today. Yes, twice in one week. Company rules=2 accidents during your tenure with the company=fired, never mind TWO in two days. It doesn't matter that they weren't his fault, and there was only minor damage in each case. At the very least, if he's lucky=week off with no pay; possibly 2 weeks.

I don't know what we're going to do if he gets fired. Unemployment checks won't pay our mortgage. I do always keep a pantry full of food--about 2-3 months worth--for emergencies. I also worry about being able to care for our 8 cats properly (and we still have a large vet's bill for poor Willi, who died last month).

Thanks for "listening".

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a terrible rule!!! I hope his employer values his long years without accidents and lets him keep his job ..

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending lots of that the employer will look at this in the context of his previously clean slate and the fact that he is not at fault, and give him a break. While I can see the reason for such a rule, when there are mitigating circumstances they should be considered, and discretion applied.

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's hoping everything works out... hopefully the folks calling the shots will be smart enough to understand that one driver simply can't control everyone else on the road, and that with his solid driving record, he's obviously doing his job well.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meowqueensdaddy

Here's hoping everything works out... hopefully the folks calling the shots will be smart enough to understand that one driver simply can't control everyone else on the road, and that with his solid driving record, he's obviously doing his job well.
if he's not at fault, that rule makes no sense at all. who among us can control those crazy people who managed to get a car to drive?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Sending lots of that the employer will look at this in the context of his previously clean slate and the fact that he is not at fault, and give him a break. While I can see the reason for such a rule, when there are mitigating circumstances they should be considered, and discretion applied.
I agree totally! 11 years with a clean driving record should be rewarded, not punished.

Sending lots and lots of vibes!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thans everyone! We really appreciate your vibes and kind words. He just left for work, and I know he was DREADING going in today. I'll let you all know if anything bad happens.

He has worked for this company for 5 years now (he had experience at other trucking companies). I should have said he was accident-free in terms of another vehicle being involved. This time, it was the idiot who hit him, and yesterday, when he had a lot of trouble backing the truck into a tight spot--he had asked some people to move their cars, but one nasty jerk gave him a lot of trouble, and wouldn't. He had no choice but to try to back the truck into the loading area anyway--and did some slight damage to the guy's car, and his truck. Now, last year, he had a similar problem, without the nasty jerk factor. Two other men from his workplace took their outside mirrors off the week before--in the same place. They didn't get disciplined, and DH's boss told him not to worry. However, they have to send out to HQ in Pittsburgh for the damaged parts--and guess what happened? A week off, no pay. I guess they decided to make an example of him. He also was accused by an employee of a place he was delivering to of knocking down a sign--which he did not (someone else did later that day, we think). That company sued DH's for the cost of the sig. I think DH got blamed anyway; I can't remember if he got suspended.

The trucking industry is brutal. They have these crazy rules, they take advantage of their drivers, keep the rude, verbally abusive dispatchers and supervisors (you wouldn't believe the language he gets called. both at the office and by the dockworkers elsewhere!), then they wonder why they can't keep good drivers! Seriously! However, he makes decent money, esp. with the overtime, so he stays there. He often works 14 hours days, too.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, thank God he didn't get fired, but he did get suspended for 2 weeks without pay. starting Monday. Guess I should do those Federal taxes this weekend, to hasten our refund--I think we're going to need it.

Thanks again, eveyrone, for your vibes and concern.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's great that he didn't get fired, but two weeks without pay seems extreme.
that it doesn't cause you too much in the way of financial difficulties.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A local delivery job is very demanding. It's hard to go any length of time without getting against something, since everything is so close. But I have to say on the car that wouldn't move, I'd have called dispatch and asked them to take care of it, or tell me what to do. The easy way is to call the receiver, tell them the problem, tell them the truck can't get to the dock, and if they can't clear the area, they will be charged a second delivery fee if the truck has to go back to the warehouse without unloading.

These days, a driver with a good record doesn't have to put up with bad working conditions, because there are 10 more companies willing to hire him.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

A local delivery job is very demanding. It's hard to go any length of time without getting against something, since everything is so close. But I have to say on the car that wouldn't move, I'd have called dispatch and asked them to take care of it, or tell me what to do. The easy way is to call the receiver, tell them the problem, tell them the truck can't get to the dock, and if they can't clear the area, they will be charged a second delivery fee if the truck has to go back to the warehouse without unloading.

These days, a driver with a good record doesn't have to put up with bad working conditions, because there are 10 more companies willing to hire him.
Hi Mrblanche,

Thanks!

I asked DH about the calling the dispatcher aspect again yesterday. He said he did call; the dispatcher told him that he had to do it anyway, and gave him a lot of trouble, so DH did it against his will. That guy's car had recently been hit by someone else, and sustained a lot of front-end damage. I think DH said he thought the guy was just looking to blame/sue someone else for it, or whatever.

I'll tell you--DH has had such bad experiences with the companies he worked for, except for the one he was working for when I met him (he left that job in order to move down here to get married). They treated him very well, but some of the stories he tells me! I can't believe the junk you truckers have to deal with! You don't get nearly enough credit for the job you do for us.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Hi Mrblanche,

Thanks!

I asked DH about the calling the dispatcher aspect again yesterday. He said he did call; the dispatcher told him that he had to do it anyway, and gave him a lot of trouble, so DH did it against his will. That guy's car had recently been hit by someone else, and sustained a lot of front-end damage. I think DH said he thought the guy was just looking to blame/sue someone else for it, or whatever.

I'll tell you--DH has had such bad experiences with the companies he worked for, except for the one he was working for when I met him (he left that job in order to move down here to get married). They treated him very well, but some of the stories he tells me! I can't believe the junk you truckers have to deal with! You don't get nearly enough credit for the job you do for us.
One of our smaller ligns of work is assisting truckers with their citations and i have a great compassion for them. They put up with so much from careless/stupid car drivers

Mr. Blanche gives excellent advice about speaking with the customer about difficulties. If they are nice about it, they will handle it voluntarily, otherwise the threat of extra charges will go a long way at giving the customer an "attitude adjustment".
Adding to WellingtonCat's prayers and vibes that you get a windfall