health issues (warning, very long!)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is anyone else tired about hearing about my health problems? I know I am. I just need really good vibes to get me through the next couple weeks.

There is something wrong with me, and I have NO idea what it is...and neither do the doctors. So, today I'm going in for a mammogram (not a big deal...I think. It's my first) and an ovarian ultrasound. Next week, I get to have a colonoscospy. woohoo. My problems are all over the place. I have a hard time eating at times, I get the dry heaves first thing in the morning (I had a throat endoscope done a few weeks ago and it showed ulcers in my esphogus and stomach), I get major cramping in my left side some times during "that time of the month" (hence the ovarian ultrasound and colonoscopy), and I'm tired constantly. I have NO motivation to do anything. I still haven't put away the Christmas decorations, and it's Feb.

I just haven't felt like myself for about a year. I'm just scared about what they might find. And I'm tired of doctors and of tests. They've already done an ultrasound on my gallbladder, liver and kidneys and they are fine. I'm just terrified they are going to find cancer. I watched both my parents die of cancer and I'm afraid that is my fate also.

My MIL thinks it's my thyroid. My PCP ordered blood tests a few months ago and he told he my thyroid is "out of wack", but he didn't do anything about it. I'm going to wait until all the tests come back, and if they show nothing I'm going to insist to be referred to my MIL's thyroid doctor.

Part of the problem is I was never taken to the doctor when I was a kid unless a bone was broken or if I was bleeding so much a bandaid wouldn't take care of it. I can't say anything bad about my parents because they didn't have insurance for 3 years because dad was out of work (in the 70's). But, they just took care of everything at home with home remedies if possible.

I'm sorry, I know I sound like a drama queen, but I'm scared. I want to know what is wrong with the, and at the same time I don't. Ignorance is bliss, right? But, I also don't want to let something go that could be treated now.

I have a habit of expecting the worse. I just needed to vent and I'm so sorry it's so disjointed. Thank you for listening (or reading...lol!).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

My MIL thinks it's my thyroid. My PCP ordered blood tests a few months ago and he told he my thyroid is "out of wack", but he didn't do anything about it. I'm going to wait until all the tests come back, and if they show nothing I'm going to insist to be referred to my MIL's thyroid doctor.
Did you get a look at your lab results? You should have been given a copy of everything. If you haven't, start demanding a copy of everything, it is within your rights.

But yes, thyroid issues can cause a whole range of health problems affecting just about everything in your body. Of course, thyroid tests can also come back looking bad if there's something else going on - such as a serious infection.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you gone to an ob/gyn?? Try looking up the symptoms of endometriosis. I was having similar problems, and in my mind I had the choice of two routes to go through...the colonoscopy and endoscopy route to check for Chrohn's, or check for endometriosis. They both have similar symptoms. I decided to be hard on myself and go the Chrohn's route first. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy on the same day, have multiple barium studies, etc, etc. They found nothing.

So I went to my ob/gyn and came armed with paperwork and things I would talk about, aiming for laproscopic surgery to check for endometriosis, completely sure she would disagree and refuse. As soon as she walked in and I started with my thing, she stopped me and said "it sounds like you did your homework, when do you want to schedule surgery for?" I had my surgery two weeks later, and found out I have between stage 3 and stage 4 endo.

My symptoms were these: almost constant nausea/diarrhea for months on end, horrible sharp pain on my right side during "that" time of the month (enough to send me home from work almost every month b/c I couldn't stand upright) but also pain during the rest of the month, terrible pain during sex so I never wanted to have it, painful bowel movements even during diarrhea, and pain during urinating not attributed to uti. I also had a tilted uterus.

ALL of this was due to the endometriosis, but all the symptoms also pointed towards Chrohn's. Once I had the laproscopy and they removed as much of the adhesions as they could, ALL my symptoms went away. It has been 3 years (I had the surgery in Feb 3 years ago) and for the first two years I was fine. This past year the symptoms have gradually came back. I have a feeling I need more adhesions removed, but I can't take the two weeks to recover since I'm looking for a job. My luck I would get one just before I had my surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. I'm sorry, I was just freaking out because I REALLY didn't want to go. But, it wasn't that bad. The mammogram was nothing (just embarrassing) and the woman that did it kept me talking about my cats and dogs the whole time so I didn't really mind.
The ultrasound was external, not internal...which kind of surprised me. Based on what people said here, and people I talked to at work, I thought is was going to be more of a "physical" type of thing. But it was just a bit of jelly on the belly and lay back and look at the pictures.

Of course, I won't get any answers until Monday at the earliest.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Did you get a look at your lab results? You should have been given a copy of everything. If you haven't, start demanding a copy of everything, it is within your rights.

But yes, thyroid issues can cause a whole range of health problems affecting just about everything in your body. Of course, thyroid tests can also come back looking bad if there's something else going on - such as a serious infection.
I did get a copy of the blood work, but DH filed it somewhere and I have NO idea where it is right now. I try to get a copy of all my test results, even if I have no clue what they are telling me. I learned with my mom that requesting your own at the time is MUCH easier than trying to track them down all at once.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Have you gone to an ob/gyn?? Try looking up the symptoms of endometriosis.
Actually, it was my gyno that sent me for the ultrasound and colonoscopy. He thinks I have cysts and wants to rule everything else out. My pain is centered on my left side, so apparently that put up red flags for colon cancer.

I was diagnosed with begining stages of endometriosis about 14 years ago, and I admit I became very lax about the "physical" after I went off BC. I'm getting better about them now, and my last 2 have been ok...I guess. At least, I didn't get any bad news...or any news, for that matter. I had my last one 2 weeks ago, and a follow up appointment with him on the 18th after he gets all the results back from these tests. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it then.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have hypothyroidism, so I can commiserate with some of the things you're feeling. However, I found a GREAT doctor that is treating my thyroid issues really well. That's the key. If you do start on medication for your thyroid, and your tests come back OK, yet you still feel the same way, get a new doctor.

It's not OK to feel that way, no matter what a stupid test says. *hugs*

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can find your test results, and don't mind sharing, there's plenty of people here who should be able to help you understand them.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your thyroid is out of whack, then probably your other hormone levels are, too, since all of the hormones work together. The hormones affect your entire body, for example, every single cell in our bodies needs thyroid hormone!

You need a good endocrinologist, one who does not specialize in diabetes. I would definitely push for having all your hormone levels checked. This can not be done accurately, in my experience by just blood tests.

Take heart, the levels can be brought into balance again, but you will need a good doctor. The doctor who said your thyroid is not working properly and did nothing about it is not a good doctor, IMO. I hope you are much better soon!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I would definitely push for having all your hormone levels checked. This can not be done accurately, in my experience by just blood tests.
Cortisol is better tested multiple times a day by saliva, and iirc, isn't aldosterone and renin done by collecting urine? - for that matter several other hormones are tested that way too. Though aldosterone and renin are more to test for adrenal fatigue/addisions or cushings, and norepinephrine for a specific type of tumor.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Cortisol is better tested multiple times a day by saliva, and iirc, isn't aldosterone and renin done by collecting urine? - for that matter several other hormones are tested that way too. Though aldosterone and renin are more to test for adrenal fatigue/addisions or cushings, and norepinephrine for a specific type of tumor.
My cortisol was always tested by a blood test. I've never once had my cortisol tested by my saliva. My aldosterone was never accurately tested with a 24hr urine collection, mine was done with blood test also. I have Addison's. Now that I'm on steroids I can't have either tested b/c it wouldn't be at all accurate, of course. I'm talking before I was diagnosed.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Take heart, the levels can be brought into balance again, but you will need a good doctor. The doctor who said your thyroid is not working properly and did nothing about it is not a good doctor, IMO. I hope you are much better soon!
I have hypothyroid also, and the funny thing is the first 2 years I had it I used generic Synthroid to treat it and my levels have been perfect since. For some reason, the last time I saw my endo she wrote me rx's for all of my meds and I didn't really pay attention to them. I took them to the pharmacy and was shocked at the price. My doctor had checked "no generic" on my Synthroid for some reason. Since it was already filled I payed for it anyway and figured I would just call before my rx ran out to get my dr to call in for generic.

I called up and left a message and the dr's nurse called back and asked why I had requested that. I told her why, that b/c the name brand costs me $17 for one month, when I can get THREE months of the generic for $10. She asked what pharmacy I wanted and I told her, and she said she would call me back. In about 15 minutes she called back and said that the doctor marked "no generic" b/c there is a marked difference in the reaction to the name brand compared to the generic. I insisted that I have been taking the generic for over two years and I've been perfectly fine. She argued with me for another 10 minutes but finally said she would talk to the doctor again. I never heard back from them, and nothing was called in. By this time I was out of my rx, but out of principal I refused to refill the one I had.

I called them back after a couple weeks and requested again that they call in a rx for generic. The nurse called back and actually told me that the doctor refused to do that. So I basically told them, FINE. Then I refuse to take the medication anymore unless they called in the generic. Again, never heard back from them. So, for the past few months I have been without it. I don't feel as well as I normally do, but I'm not dead. lol

This is my 3rd Endo, and there are basically none left that know anything about Addison's Disease. I'm waiting until we move to Texas and find a new Endo down there to get put back on thyroid meds. We just can't afford the huge difference in cost between the name brand and the generic, when the generic worked perfectly fine and my doctor is just being stubborn. She's the one that wrote the generic rx the first two years in the first place!!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The colonoscopy is a good idea. The first thing I thought of when I read your post was Chrons, mainly because of the ulcers in your digestive tract. Also, I have Colitis (Chrons' little brother - usually less severe and more easily managed) get pain in my left side.

Good luck! I hope it is nothing serious!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For finding an answer. Finally finding one can be a relief in itself. It's the not knowing that can be the real problem.

for finding an answer and that is is something you can easily manage.