Aldi's

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are 3 new Aldi's in my county.
http://www.aldifoods.com/index_ENU_HTML.htm
I've been shopping there for a few months, and I am, for the most part pleased with the products and prices. I just tried their brand of anti-wrinkle daytime cream and I really like it. Ladies and gentlemen, it is from Germany, not tested on animals, and $4.99!

What do the rest of you think?

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your ALDI looks waaayyy better than ours!

I think ALDI is quite a good shop

They have cheap make-up, which is actually very good!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Aldi's, I've never had any problems with their food, although I usually won't buy produce from them. I actually like their spaghetti sauce the best!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

Your ALDI looks waaayyy better than ours!

I think ALDI is quite a good shop

They have cheap make-up, which is actually very good!
Here they are advertising that they will have make-up soon. Thanks. I was curious about it. I am looking forward to trying more of their skin care products. Even at $4.99 in this economy, I am limiting myself to little by little.

I love the shopping cart system: a deposit of 25 cents that you get back when the shopping cart is returned. It keeps prices down and protects cars from getting dinged.

Bringing our own bags is something that Americans should be getting used to by now - everywhere. Good policy!

Milk, butter, eggs, fresh bagged spinach, and many other products are less expensive than anywhere else in the area.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I love Aldi's, I've never had any problems with their food, although I usually won't buy produce from them. I actually like their spaghetti sauce the best!
I love it too! It ranks up there with Barilla and Classico!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to shop there--but I am not a cash carrier and that is an issue for me when it comes to shopping there.

Leslie

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I need to shop there--but I am not a cash carrier and that is an issue for me when it comes to shopping there.

Leslie
I'm not either, but ours takes debit cards.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I'm not either, but ours takes debit cards.

Aldi's is my new favorite grocery store. I usually do Walmart first for most items I buy, but I get a lot of the staple foods at Aldi's.

I just have to remind myself to bring my canvas shopping bags when I go.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an Aldi, but it is pretty out of our way, in a part of town we are never in anymore. It was right down the street from our old house, though. It sounds like it would be great to check out, but my husband never carries cash (he's paranoid) and I can't for the life of me get him to use the bags I have bought. He thinks it is embarrasing, even though almost EVERYONE you see at the grocery store has them anymore, even ones from other stores. Like you'll see a LOT of people at our neighborhood grocery store (Hy-Vee) with Whole Foods bags b/c they are really big and really heavy duty.

He also thinks that it is a "food stamps only" store. We used to drive past it all the time and he mentioned that more than once. I'll have to try to convince him to check it out. Anything to save money.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We do almost all of our shopping there. I make my grocery list and go there first and anything they don't have I stop by Walmart and get on the way home. I have been satisfied with all of the products I have tried from there. I do buy produce there and have found it to be the same quality as Walmart/Kroger, though not comparable to a good farmers market.

Ours lets the customers take the empty product boxes to take groceries in. I use boxes for almost all of my groceries and then the reusable bags for the little stuff.

The Aldi I go to takes debit and credit cards but I think at one point they only accepted cash.

I recommend them to anyone who will listen about it, I can't get my parents to shop there they are very hung up on brands.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

We have an Aldi, but it is pretty out of our way, in a part of town we are never in anymore. It was right down the street from our old house, though. It sounds like it would be great to check out, but my husband never carries cash (he's paranoid) and I can't for the life of me get him to use the bags I have bought. He thinks it is embarrasing, even though almost EVERYONE you see at the grocery store has them anymore, even ones from other stores. Like you'll see a LOT of people at our neighborhood grocery store (Hy-Vee) with Whole Foods bags b/c they are really big and really heavy duty.

He also thinks that it is a "food stamps only" store. We used to drive past it all the time and he mentioned that more than once. I'll have to try to convince him to check it out. Anything to save money.
Why is he embarrassed to us reusable bags?

I like going to Aldi mostly for the big boxes the stuff comes in. They have one side that has a lower edge on it, and they make perfect nests for nursing kitty moms! JinJin used several of those when she had her babies!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've shopped at the local aldi's before but I find their prices for meat and dairy products to be higher than in some of the local grocery stores. Sometimes 25-30% higher in fact.
I don't know if they have the same prices nationwide or tailor them by state.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to jump into this thread---my DH is the manager of our Aldi.
The 2 brothers that founded Aldi in Germany bought an American company (Benner Tea) in the mid 1970s. DH had worked for Benner since 1971 and made the switch to Aldi; he's been there ever since.

although I usually won't buy produce from them
I'm curious---why won't you buy their produce?

For the most part, prices are the same across the company. They do, however, do comparative pricing on some dairy items---milk, eggs, cottage cheese,

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I had to jump into this thread---my DH is the manager of our Aldi.
The 2 brothers that founded Aldi in Germany bought an American company (Benner Tea) in the mid 1970s. DH had worked for Benner since 1971 and made the switch to Aldi; he's been there ever since.

I'm curious---why won't you buy their produce?

For the most part, prices are the same across the company. They do, however, do comparative pricing on some dairy items---milk, eggs, cottage cheese,
I haven't been to the Aldi's in my area since they remodeled and added more refrigerated sections, but before, their produce always looked kinda suspect to me
I'm pretty freaky about my produce though

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I've shopped at the local aldi's before but I find their prices for meat and dairy products to be higher than in some of the local grocery stores. Sometimes 25-30% higher in fact.
Wow - that's a lot higher. A gallon on milk is $2.79 at our Aldi's. It is cheaper than anywhere else around here. I haven't bought meat there, except for frozen hamburg patties.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

(Husband) ... also thinks that it is a "food stamps only" store. We used to drive past it all the time and he mentioned that more than once. I'll have to try to convince him to check it out. Anything to save money.
We don't have Aldi's here, but have Save A Lot. The local one closed after we got a Super WalMart, but there are(were) a couple others in the metropolis near me.

I often marveled at the variety of cars in the parking lot. You'd see everything from cars that look like they were rebuilt after going through a crusher to brand new luxury models.

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I also agree that Aldi's spaghetti sauce is the best!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to Aldis once in awhile. It's just so out of the way for me that I tend to forget it's there..
But when I go, I find all sorts of things that I want or need and they are SO much cheaper then most of the other stores. I like going there. (when I remember that is...)