TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › oh dear we just adopted a basset hound!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

oh dear we just adopted a basset hound!! - Page 2

post #31 of 50
Thread Starter 
I have had to deal with Odie more than my husband since last post. He is actually minding me! The weather has been bad so he has been in the house. I swear this is like dealing with a little child. Some of my cats are getting curious about him and touching noses but still leary. Each day is getting better.
post #32 of 50
Believe me, before long they will be rubbing up against him. Even my most frightened foster cats came around to my dogs and would give nose kisses and headbutts. Yup, dogs are like children and have to be treated as such.
post #33 of 50
How is Odie doing? (BTW I love the name!)
post #34 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
How is Odie doing? (BTW I love the name!)
Thank you! We liked Odie better than Flash! I have an outdoor cat(originally a stray cat) named BW that we feed and take care of he acts like Garfield and tries to get poor Odie in trouble all the time. Odie is keeping BW at home more and now I've got him starting to come in the house at night.

Odie is another story! He is very stubborn and has a short attention span. Were working with him and it's been hard for me to adjust to a that dog acts up and gets rowdy with my cats when he is in the house. Thats a big no no for him to sniff them out and start rolling them over and nipping at them, He does respect BW because he tunes him up and lays down the law. He is a nice dog with horrible obedience issues. He is learning everyday and maybe a lightbulb will go off in his head and he will finally get the picture of what we are trying to teach him. Tonight was special because Odie went upstairs to his bedroom and asked to go in so he can bed down for the night. Each day is a new day with him and I will become attached to him as soon as he leaves the cats alone and quits trying to dig presents out of the litterbox to eat. That is so gross.
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbycats View Post
Thank you! We liked Odie better than Flash! I have an outdoor cat(originally a stray cat) named BW that we feed and take care of he acts like Garfield and tries to get poor Odie in trouble all the time. Odie is keeping BW at home more and now I've got him starting to come in the house at night.

Odie is another story! He is very stubborn and has a short attention span. Were working with him and it's been hard for me to adjust to a that dog acts up and gets rowdy with my cats when he is in the house. Thats a big no no for him to sniff them out and start rolling them over and nipping at them, He does respect BW because he tunes him up and lays down the law. He is a nice dog with horrible obedience issues. He is learning everyday and maybe a lightbulb will go off in his head and he will finally get the picture of what we are trying to teach him. Tonight was special because Odie went upstairs to his bedroom and asked to go in so he can bed down for the night. Each day is a new day with him and I will become attached to him as soon as he leaves the cats alone and quits trying to dig presents out of the litterbox to eat. That is so gross.
I'm hopeless with dog advice so I can't really help but I know dogs do require a lot of patience and it's a long, hard road

My dog Chevy does the same with litter trays - I'll stack them all up at once to clean and I'll come back from grabbing another one and she'll be there with her nose in.
post #36 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats View Post
I'm hopeless with dog advice so I can't really help but I know dogs do require a lot of patience and it's a long, hard road

My dog Chevy does the same with litter trays - I'll stack them all up at once to clean and I'll come back from grabbing another one and she'll be there with her nose in.
I honestly don't think I will ever be a dog person. Since my husband is and he puts up with 8 cats I have to learn to be more open minded. I feel like I'm dealing with a small child every time he is in the house. I see people with obediant dogs and the bond they form is wonderful. I just wonder if I ever will get that way. This is a work in progress everyday and sometimes I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall. The reason why the previous owners got him a new home is because they never worked with him and he has no manners. I'm even watching the Dog whisperer!!

Since i posted this Odie did a really funny thing while my husband was at our small town grocery store! Rick parked the truck in front and while he was in the store the horn started going off! He walked up front and saw the cashiers cracking up. Odie was standing on the horn honking for Rick to hurry up. Bassett Hounds have such a funny face with those silly ears! Rick told the cashiers Odie was just telling him to hurry up with his Milk Bones!!!

Hehe!!! That dog is going to grow on me yet!!!!
post #37 of 50
Too funny! Hope he got his milk bones!
post #38 of 50
Thread Starter 
He got his Milk bones!

We are seeing alot of progress with Odie. He is starting to mind and the cats are starting to come up to him. Frankie my little abyssinian is rubbing against Odie!!! The only one that is reluctant is Zoey. She was checking him out tonight and got a lot closer to him. I can't wait for the day that I see them all laying together! Well maybe a few of them...
post #39 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbycats View Post
He got his Milk bones!

We are seeing alot of progress with Odie. He is starting to mind and the cats are starting to come up to him. Frankie my little abyssinian is rubbing against Odie!!! The only one that is reluctant is Zoey. She was checking him out tonight and got a lot closer to him. I can't wait for the day that I see them all laying together! Well maybe a few of them...
*Update*
We had to rehome Odie to a very good man who didn't have cats. Odie started to get agressive with the cats when he was indoors. We really tried to work with him and I couldn't put my cats at risk. Odie is with somebody who loves basset hounds and will be able to work with him. Odie needed to be in a 1 pet owner home without kids or cats. I will miss him, We see the guy all the time so I will keep up with his progress.
post #40 of 50
I'm glad Odie has found a home where he can he happy. You cannot risk him hurting the kitties.
post #41 of 50
Thread Starter 
Odie came home to us!! He sniffed his way back to our backyard. The guy we adopted him turned into a real jerk and abused the poor dog. He dumped poor Odie on his mother and moved in with his girl friend who has Great Danes. Odie kept showing up in our backyard. We researched what was going on and took him back.
post #42 of 50
Oh poor boy he was obviously happy at your home. Cats and dogs can get on together well and as he is older now hopefully he has calmed down a bit.
post #43 of 50
Google basset hound forums. My ex had a basset and he was a good dog but there are tricks to training bassets because they are likely to be so stubborn they make you crazy. There is a really really really good basset forum somewhere out there Ill try and find it for you to post a link but he will eventually out grow that puppy stage because bassets are known for being lazy dogs unlike doxies who are psychotically hyper....Im gonna go look for that forum so you can get in touch with a lot more basset owners who can help you with Odie!!!

Best of luck with him they are such adorable dogs and really good once you get the training down.
post #44 of 50
Found some the best one that I used to belong to is www.basset.net
There are some more
www.bassetsunlimited.com is the second on the search engine but I used to belong to the basset.net one. It was a good forum with tons of people on there who can help you with basset related issues especially training and stuff like that. If I remember correctly alot of people on that forum are pro-crate training. If done properly it can be your lifesaver with Odie.....Good luck keep us updated!
post #45 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog View Post
Found some the best one that I used to belong to is www.basset.net
There are some more
www.bassetsunlimited.com is the second on the search engine but I used to belong to the basset.net one. It was a good forum with tons of people on there who can help you with basset related issues especially training and stuff like that. If I remember correctly alot of people on that forum are pro-crate training. If done properly it can be your lifesaver with Odie.....Good luck keep us updated!
Thank you very much!! I will go check those sites out right now!!!
post #46 of 50
Here's one trick I've been doing with my puppy who we think is APBT... she acts like the breed and looks similar but is a stray mut so there is no real knowing. Shes declared as a terrier mix but anyway.

You need to be higher up in the pack then the dog. I had been having a hard time declaring my alpha status next to my boyfriend until we started this. When you feed the dog fill their bowl on a higher surface like a counter. Then act like you are eating from the bowl first. I've been using a bag of chips further up on the counter, and messing with the food then eating a few chips. Then I make Sadie sit about 4 ft away from the feeding spot, stay, stay, stay, stay, then I use the command ok after I have put the bowl down and walked away from the bowl. At first eye contact is key but now she knows the drill. Just this alone had made a world of difference. I'm sure dog forums will know more tricks...they are a great source of information.
post #47 of 50
Thread Starter 
Odie is doing pretty good. The best trainer I have found is our only indoor/outdoor cat(he adopted us a few years ago and he doesn't want any part of being a indoor cat) his name is BW. He acts like a garfield cat in everyway! Poor Odie has been trained by BW as if he were the lead pack dog. Odie will not go 4ft within BW's food dish while he is eating. It's really funny to watch!! I think they are starting to like each other!!
post #48 of 50
I have enjoyed life with cats and dogs for the last 25 years. I could not live without either species!!!

I agree that dogs are a lot like little children. I do hope that you and Odie bond and you discover the joys of doggie love.

Since you are miles from a trainer perhaps you can check out some dog training dvd's. If your library does not have them see if they participate in inter-library loans - you can get stuff from all over the country.

It does sound like Odie has made progress with the cats. I hope this works out for everyone.
post #49 of 50
I just wanted to check in a see how everything is going?

Bassets are a unique little breed, notoriously lazy and bullheaded beyond belief. If you happened to join up in either of those forums I hope they were able to assist you better with Odie.
post #50 of 50
After a bit of work, my dogs now ask my permission to join me on the sofa, and in particular, when there is a cat on the sofa with me. I don't want my dogs to ever push a cat around, and I also want them to understand that the cats come before them. A dog can be an absolute joy to live with, once you've gained their respect.

Customer Electronics
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats and Other Animals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › oh dear we just adopted a basset hound!!