Argh! I crashed my van into a post!

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually I don't have to go to work early in the morning, because I work evenings. This week I was stuck with morning stuff yesterday and today... I had to leave early today to get gas and go to an ATM. I left early enough that my passenger side window was still dew covered when I pulled into the gas station.

Naturally I forgot to wipe off the passenger side mirror and window... meaning I couldn't see the post next to the pump which prevents people from, ahem, driving into the pump. Naturally, because I couldn't see the post, I turned into it, putting a huge gouge and dent in the right side sliding door... I mean, measured not in square inches but in square FEET...

The post didn't seem to notice or care... I don't think the paint on it was even visibly scratched, even though some of it was left on my door.

Now, I mean, how stupid can you get? I spend easily 25,000 miles on the road each year, on the freeway, and I hit a stationary object.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The post is there because many people have made the same mistake and done serious damage to the pumps, even causing major fires. You are not alone!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least it was a post and not the pump or another car!
I've hit my share of stationary objects too. Most recently was a concrete wall right in front of me!
I was pulling in a garage parking spot while the sun was rising in my face. I couldn't see the wall at all until "crunch"! Boy, was my hubby proud of me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowqueensdaddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The post is there because many people have made the same mistake and done serious damage to the pumps, even causing major fires. You are not alone!
yeah, at first I'd thought that I'd left the pump nozzle in the filler! but I have a locking gas cap, so if I tried to start the thing with the cap stuck to my keychain, it'd be pretty obvious!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd think they could wrap those things in thick rubber so the damage wouldn't be quite so bad... but then, I've always thought cars should be made out of Superball rubber. Not pretty, but when you hit something, you'd just bounce!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.....but I had to laugh! At least you have the benifit of the dew hiding things from you, me...not so much! Since I got my license in 1988 I have:

Backed into another car in a parking lot....somehow managing to hang the corner bottom lip of my bumper OVER the top of her bumper.

Two weeks later backed into a friends car in the parking lot at the dorm where we were living....

Since I married I have backed my Expedition into my mother's Acura Legend (nevermind the fact that I parked said car behind me in the first place)
Have backed my dad's Isuzu Trooper into the dumpster behind our shoe store, with my mom in the car with me...
Drove a 1990 Legend OVER one of those concrete thingys they put down to designate where you should stop in a parking spot.....
Sigh....