Let's make a recipe book!!!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone has those quick, easy recipes that are passed from our parents, grandmothers, or that we learned along our lives... So... Let's create a recipe book?
You can post any recipe you'd like, but it would be especially cool to have quick, cheap and easy ideas, so that we can all try something new!

I will start with a simple but DELIIIIIICIOUS one:

Dulce de Leche:

Ingredient:
1 can of sweetened condensed milk. (that's it!!!
)

Instructions:
Remove label from can. Place the CLOSED/unopened can in a pressure cooker standing up, add water until the can is covered. Close the pressure cooker and place it on heat until boiling, on medium/high heat. Lower the heat to LOW, and cook for 1 hour. Remove from the heat, and let it cool, and remove the can from the pressure cooker. The best is to let the can cool overnight - ATTENTION: Do NOT open the can while it is hot - it gets extremely hot, and the contents are under pressure!

You can also cook it in a regular pan, just make sure to cook for 1 1/2hr to 1 hour and 45 minutes.

This recipe takes 1 ingredient and it is absolutely delicious!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For those who weren't around at the time, you might want to check this out. We have two volumes of Cooking with Cattitude, that contain some pretty good stuff.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had dulce de leche, does the condensed milk become solid after all the cooking?? Hmm I'm extremely cruious as to what it tastes like....I used to love the starbucks dulce de leche frappuccino when it was around, but it's a seasonal drink, so they don't have it now
I am tempted to make this!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I've never had dulce de leche, does the condensed milk become solid after all the cooking?? Hmm I'm extremely cruious as to what it tastes like....I used to love the starbucks dulce de leche frappuccino when it was around, but it's a seasonal drink, so they don't have it now
Not solid solid, but you can take it out of the can in one piece and cut it... It is soooo easy to make, and delicious!
Yep - same stuff used to make the frapuccinos, ice cream, milk shake... I love to eat it on its own or spread it on toast or a cracker!!

In Brasil it is called Doce de Leite - same thing though

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Not solid solid, but you can take it out of the can in one piece and cut it... It is soooo easy to make, and delicious!
Yep - same stuff used to make the frapuccinos, ice cream, milk shake... I love to eat it on its own or spread it on toast or a cracker!!

In Brasil it is called Doce de Leite - same thing though
We call it "cajeta."

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

you can buy dulce de leche in mexican/hispanic oriented supermarkets, btw - for those of us too lazy to make it!

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ohh you know what is good? Dulche de leche cheese cake. My friend and I split a piece when we had dinner at The Cheesecake Factory...amazing.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a great recipe ( not quick though
) but it is delicious!

Angela's Stuffed chicken

Boneless skinless chicken breast (pounded very thin)(about 4 pieces)
fresg garlic cloves(to taste...I use about 4)
fresh oregano
fresh parsley
fresh basil
toasted pine nuts (about 1 cup)
extra virgin olive oil
frozen spinach(completely thawed and drained)
fonina cheese
parmesian cheese
mozzerella cheese
asiago cheese

(take above items except chicken and put in food processor)

take mixture and spread on thinned out chicken breast roll chicken up and secure with toothpicks brown on all sides in olive oil & then place on baking pan and bake until juices run clear.

serve w/ pasta (I also pair it w/ home made alfredo sauce)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make that, but when I've always called it "Sex in a can"

I don't use a pressure cooker. I take the label off of the can and put it inside a tall large pot and add water so that the can is covered by about 2 inches above the top of the can. Then I just bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 4 hours, making sure that the water always covers the top of the can.

Remove from the water, let cool. Remove both lids and push out the contents. Slice. Serves about 14 people.

Originally Posted by carolinalima

Everyone has those quick, easy recipes that are passed from our parents, grandmothers, or that we learned along our lives... So... Let's create a recipe book?
You can post any recipe you'd like, but it would be especially cool to have quick, cheap and easy ideas, so that we can all try something new!

I will start with a simple but DELIIIIIICIOUS one:

Dulce de Leche:

Ingredient:
1 can of sweetened condensed milk. (that's it!!!
)

Instructions:
Remove label from can. Place the CLOSED/unopened can in a pressure cooker standing up, add water until the can is covered. Close the pressure cooker and place it on heat until boiling, on medium/high heat. Lower the heat to LOW, and cook for 1 hour. Remove from the heat, and let it cool, and remove the can from the pressure cooker. The best is to let the can cool overnight - ATTENTION: Do NOT open the can while it is hot - it gets extremely hot, and the contents are under pressure!

You can also cook it in a regular pan, just make sure to cook for 1 1/2hr to 1 hour and 45 minutes.

This recipe takes 1 ingredient and it is absolutely delicious!