Why do cats constantly lick themselves?

traveler5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sitting here watching my cat lick various parts of his body: a leg, a paw, his tail, his stomach. He does this from time to time but I don't know why. Why do cats constantly lick their fur/hair?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Traveler5

I'm sitting here watching my cat lick various parts of his body: a leg, a paw, his tail, his stomach. He does this from time to time but I don't know why. Why do cats constantly lick their fur/hair?
Cats groom themselves this way to keep themselves "clean". I'm sure you've noticed that Hobbes' tongue feels rough. A cat's tongue actually has little tiny hooks on it to grab hair, dirt, etc.

And here is a more detailed answer from the internet:

The primary aim is to keep the coat in good order. Cats have a grooming routine that enables them to get almost every part of their body with their tongue, which is equipped with comb-like spines to help in the process.

Grooming also perform two other important functions.

First, unlike mammals, the cat does not sweat from most of its body surface area, and the evaporation of saliva from the coat perform a similar function, helping to keep it cool in warm weather.

Second, where two or more cats share a home, mutual grooming plays an important social bonding role between them, particularly between a female and her young.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've also heard that if they are stressed about something they start licking themselves, it gives them some kind of calming feeling.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Cats groom themselves this way to keep themselves "clean". I'm sure you've noticed that Hobbes' tongue feels rough. A cat's tongue actually has little tiny hooks on it to grab hair, dirt, etc.

I just asked Persi about this since he is presently cleaning himself.
He agrees 100%!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another reason is biology. I saw an interesting nature documentary which explained that since cats are solo hunters, the cat who can't be smelled by prey or larger predators is the most successful. That's why cats are obsessed with staying clean. Dogs, on the other hand, are adapted to have a distinct smell, since they're pack hunters and one dog will stand upwind of the prey, scaring it toward the pack.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

Another reason is biology. I saw an interesting nature documentary which explained that since cats are solo hunters, the cat who can't be smelled by prey or larger predators is the most successful. That's why cats are obsessed with staying clean. Dogs, on the other hand, are adapted to have a distinct smell, since they're pack hunters and one dog will stand upwind of the prey, scaring it toward the pack.
Yes I have heard that,too.