litter box problems

mom4two

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am new here and I have a big question. I have two cats my older cat is 9 and my younger kitty is 1 year. My older cat uses the litter box no problems but my little guy pees in it but finds spots on the floor to poop. I have tried to catch him in the act and take him to the litter box. I have tried separate litter boxes. I have tried to keep him in one room. He has been to the vet and they have found no medical problems with him. What do I do now. If this keeps up my husband will make me get rid of him.

miss_c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried any "stay away" sprays? One of my girls had a bad habit of pooing in the bathtub for a while- only god knows where she picked that up- and I got a citrusy spray and sprayed the tub daily and it stopped within a week and hasn't happened since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom4two

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He would poo in the bathtub too at our old house I tried everything but i have never heard of the "stay away" spray. Is it safe to use on carpets and other areas? He has now taken to pooping on either the throw rug in the bathroom or the door mat in front of our door or on the floor just outside the litter box. I scoop out the litter box 2 times a day and change the litter once a week. I have heard of using white vinegar helps cut the smell so they don't go again in the same place. Sidney was neuterd when he was young before she started spraying so thankfully I never had to deal with that.

Originally Posted by miss_c

Have you tried any "stay away" sprays? One of my girls had a bad habit of pooing in the bathtub for a while- only god knows where she picked that up- and I got a citrusy spray and sprayed the tub daily and it stopped within a week and hasn't happened since.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a brand new box or two (sometimes plastic keeps odors, even when you think you're getting it totally clean), and maybe try a few new types of litter. I've read that when they go near the box, but not in, it's usually a problem with the box itself (including litter texture). Have you tried Cat Attract or Kitten Attract by Dr. Elsey - you can get it at Petsmart, and the additive (and litter) can be ordered on the internet.

Also, are you cleaning with a good enzyme cleaner? I've had luck with Nature's Miracle; I've also heard Oxyfresh is good, and I've had amazing luck with odor removal with Zero Odor (you can get at Bed Bath & Beyond or on the net). Good luck - I know from experience it's not fun.

mom4two

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Several of you have mentioned "Natures Miracle" I will have to go get some today. As for the litter boxes all are brand new. I have thought about the litter but I never knew which one to buy. I guess I will take a trip to Pet Smart today to see what I can get there. Thanks for the great tips.
But why is it that he only poops out of the litter box but he will always pee in it.? That is the part I don't understand

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? Some cats want separate boxes for pee and poo.

mom4two

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the help. The day I posted this and got your responses. I went to the store and got the litter you told me about and the natures miracle. I added another litter box in a more private location of the apartment. I have (knock on wood) had no problems since. I picked up the doormat that he loved to poop on and I haven't put it down again. I am waiting another week or so to put it back and see if we are still on the right track.
Thanks again for the help.