Get this...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am on IV antibiotics for 2 weeks which is being done from home through a line in my arm (more permanent that the sort of IV you get in hospital).

The driver came tonight to deliver the next week of antibiotics and supplies. I left it for half an hour or so, then opened it and realised the bags were bigger this time. And the contents were different!

He delivered the wrong boxes to me - this should have gone to someone else entirely!

Can you imagine if the bags had have been the same size?? I *possibly* would have checked, but if I had have just connected up whatever was in there, and been given something else intravenously it would have been very bad news!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a good thing you checked! You, or someone else, could have become very ill!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That reminds me of the time when Walmart gave me the wrong prescription, and also of the time the old vet's office gave me flea protection for dogs instead of cats!

I'm glad you had the good sense to double-check! One can never be too careful nowadays....

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I am on IV antibiotics for 2 weeks which is being done from home through a line in my arm (more permanent that the sort of IV you get in hospital).

The driver came tonight to deliver the next week of antibiotics and supplies. I left it for half an hour or so, then opened it and realised the bags were bigger this time. And the contents were different!

He delivered the wrong boxes to me - this should have gone to someone else entirely!

Can you imagine if the bags had have been the same size?? I *possibly* would have checked, but if I had have just connected up whatever was in there, and been given something else intravenously it would have been very bad news!
OMG! That is so wrong! Thank the lord you caught it and hope the other person does as well!

pjk5900

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

What were you given by mistake??
I am a certified pharmacy tech at the hosptial here.
Just wondering what kind of effects it may have had.

That does happen,
but hopefully it's usually caught before it reaches the patient.
Pharmacists are responsible for that.
They must check everything before a customer gets it.
But they're only human.

Glad it turned out well after all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjk5900

What were you given by mistake??
I am a certified pharmacy tech at the hosptial here.
Just wondering what kind of effects it may have had.

That does happen,
but hopefully it's usually caught before it reaches the patient.
Pharmacists are responsible for that.
The other persons name was on the box that got delivered to me, so it was purely a delivery mistake.

It was something in glucose solution, it had a bunch of "ingredients". I don't know what it was. It definitely wasn't an antibiotic though.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a good think you realized they were a different size!

Have you got stuck in your shirt yet? My mom had a pic-line in for a couple months a year or two back and I was constantly being called to untangle her! Then there was the day when the pump just started beeping for no apparent reason and I had to call the nurse who explained to me how to reprogram it.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's crazy!! Sorry that happened, but glad you realized it!

Btw, I find PICC lines VERY fascinating. Weird, I know. I saw one pulled out once during my CNA clinicals, and I've been fascinated with them ever since. I still want to see one inserted, but the hospital I worked at was a Children's hospital so the patients were taken to surgery and put under in order to put a PICC line in. At the adult hospital I did clinicals at, they didn't do that.