Alsatian puppy not welcome..

mak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi forum, been a while. Just got a birthday email through the post so thanks! Actually have a problem though, i posted this:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169045

now oscars diarriah hasnt completely gone, but the problem is manageable. Now my sister in her wisdom has got herself a alsatian puppy.

Im not a big dog person myself but the dog is cute and good natured but the cats dont seem to think so. They wont come downstairs, at all. Food, water and litter tray have been taken upstaris(the dog isnt allowed upstairs)

The few times oscar has ventured downstairs the dog wants toplay with him but he wont have any of it and runs off. What to do?? thanks

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For those who may be wondering, an Alsatian is what in the US we call a German Shepherd Dog. I believe that the British changed the name at about the same time as their royal family changed their name from Saxe-Coburg to Windsor, that is, in the wake of WWI.

There is lots of literature out there about how to get cats and dogs to coexist.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mak

Hi forum, been a while. Just got a birthday email through the post so thanks! Actually have a problem though, i posted this:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169045

now oscars diarriah hasnt completely gone, but the problem is manageable. Now my sister in her wisdom has got herself a alsatian puppy.

Im not a big dog person myself but the dog is cute and good natured but the cats dont seem to think so. They wont come downstairs, at all. Food, water and litter tray have been taken upstaris(the dog isnt allowed upstairs)

The few times oscar has ventured downstairs the dog wants toplay with him but he wont have any of it and runs off. What to do?? thanks
Time. They say time heals all wounds. I don't know about that but I at one time had two cats and decided to bring home a black lab retriever.
I had the same problems you are having and time indeed was the answer for me.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time.

Some cats adapt easily to such an annoying change as a puppy, others have to figure it out on their own.

As long as they have a safe place with food/water/litter they will explore this strange beast at their own pace.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long have you had the puppy?

I agree with others. Time will work it out and in the case of puppies, that may be a while. The puppy has to learn to settle down and you can help the situation by taking him through puppy training.

When I adopted a puppy 4 years ago, I went back to the shelter and adopted his brother a month later. First puppy irritated my cats, even though they had lived with dogs most of their lives. Puppies are naturally rowdy. Puppy #2 pulled puppy #1's focus away from the cats. Both puppies were very happy with each other. The cats have been happy ever since.