help cold sore!!

jscole

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ugh, I have a cold sore again... 3rd one in 2 months!! I've never had so many in such a short period of time before
I usually average one, maybe 2 per year, usually around x-mas and/or Easter when I'm with family (my family is french, lots of kissing lol)

does anyone else get cold sores? in the past I've used Abreva and Blistex (the one in the little blue tub) what do you guys use for cold sores?

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister gets cold sores quite alot due to one of the medications she takes. The doctor suggest that she started taking the supplement Lysine. She started taking it and it has had great results.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

My sister gets cold sores quite alot due to one of the medications she takes. The doctor suggest that she started taking the supplement Lysine. She started taking it and it has had great results.
Yes, Lysine is wonderful for cold sores. Lysine seems to be a good immune system booster in general, so i take 1 tablet a day. I haven't had a cold sore (or a cold) since I started taking it a year ago. If you don't want to take it every day, Lysine also makes a pretty good fever blister cure. If you take about 3 tablets at the first sign of a fever blister, then maybe 1 more twice a day for a bit, it will stop the fever blister in its tracks and it will never develop.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get them usually when I eat a lot of acidic foods such as tomatoes, oranges, etc. I use orajel even though it just numbs them for a short period. They are painful boogers!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LovesMyCats

I get them usually when I eat a lot of acidic foods such as tomatoes, oranges, etc. I use orajel even though it just numbs them for a short period. They are painful boogers!
Are referring to cold sores (as in caused by herpes simplex virus) or canker sores?

Two very very different things. Canker sores, or oral ulcers, can be a side effect of medications or due to other health issues. These are inside your mouth and not around it. I've found that swishing with diluted peroxide helps heal these faster.

Cold sores are from HSV. Which, yes, Lysine could help someone get their immune system up enough to stop the break out. Though I believe if the sores are bad enough there may also be medications to help treat it - maybe those used to treat type 2.

I don't get cold sores, thankfully. It's very likely that I've never been infected with HSV. DH has never had one either and neither of us have ever shared drinks with anyone else.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Are referring to cold sores (as in caused by herpes simplex virus) or canker sores?

Two very very different things. Canker sores, or oral ulcers, can be a side effect of medications or due to other health issues. These are inside your mouth and not around it. I've found that swishing with diluted peroxide helps heal these faster.

Cold sores are from HSV. Which, yes, Lysine could help someone get their immune system up enough to stop the break out. Though I believe if the sores are bad enough there may also be medications to help treat it - maybe those used to treat type 2.

I don't get cold sores, thankfully. It's very likely that I've never been infected with HSV. DH has never had one either and neither of us have ever shared drinks with anyone else.
I tend to call them the same thing even though I know they are completely different. I get the ones in my mouth. If I drink a lot of orange juice or eat a lot of tomatoes I tend to get them.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a Lysine user now. My sister and I get a cold sore about 2 times a year as well--however mine have acted up alot more in the last 2 years or so. Lysine has helped quite a bit, especially during a flare up--I pop mine also, some people agree with this some don't, it really does help to speed up healing--even though popping it hurts like heck.

Leslie

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been getting cold sores since I was 2. My Great grandmother is a big kisser and has always had cold sores so that's how I believe I caught the virus. I use a stick called 'Hot Kiss' visit link http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/hot_...ion_stick.html

It's a little stick about the size of a lip stick and when you feel the tingly feeling you apply it - it's really hot but I've had mine for 2 years and I've only had about 6 cold sores since I started zapping them. It was NZ$100 but it was worth it for me because I was getting 1 or 2 a week.

Also there's another new product which might be better for you, since you don't suffer frequently it's like a patch you apply - visit link

http://www.compeed.co.uk/

You can apply lipstick over them and everything, I haven't tried them but have heard great feedback.

I hope this helps!